Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Numeric Shifter in 981 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 11:27 PM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Numeric Shifter in 981 Cayman

Quick post to share some experience with the 981 (and 991) Numeric shifter.

i replaced the stock 6-speed this morning. Took about an hour following tutorials online. There are really no complicated parts... you need to zip tie the lower console button harness to the shifter somewhere, and the stock unit had holes for this which the Numeric does not, but no worries, just zip tie in non-interfering places and you will be good.

In terms of feel, the Numeric is much tighter than stock, and also taller than stock, though the shifts are shorter. I ordered a Function First shift **** to shorten the height of the shifter a bit, but it is not too tall to look good, just too tall to have a phone mounted on the Rennline mount and still see the screen comfortably, perhaps a centimeter taller than stock.

Here’s a video after the install for visual and audio comparison:

and here’s the control video, stock 981 shifter:

Miscellaneous pictures from install attached. Let me know if you all have any particular questions... I found the tutorials online and the 981 factory maintenance guide to be accurate in all regards here... Numeric doesn’t seem to have instructions for the 981 themselves, but it really isn’t hard.

I recommend this upgrade if you are ok with the cost. I do not have Porsche OEM short shift kit experience, however, so I can’t compare to that. I did this because I came from a Honda, and, by comparison to the exemplary manual shifter in my Honda, the 981 has considerable play and vagueness. The Numeric brings it back to precision for me. Steel cables might be even better, but I’m not ready for dealing with that install at this time, and I have heard tales of noise and harshness being transmitted into the cabin by steel cables, which makes me reticent.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:55 AM
to_riffic_day
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm surprised you took out the whole screen too. When I installed mine, it didn't have to go to that point, but glad you got it in. I love mine!
Old 07-05-2018, 08:03 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

I have both, shifter and cables and would recommend both of these as a unit. When ordering the cables, order the $30.00 noise reducing cover. That should do it. The cables give a much better, accurate shift feel from the transmission, almost feel the synchro and the gear mesh through the steel cable, which is impossible with the OEM shift cable. Allows better timing with your left foot on the clutch.
Old 07-06-2018, 03:54 PM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

I only took the PCM out because I needed to remove the climate controls to get at the forward bolts. Was easier to just remove it and set aside than try to navigate around. Honestly, this is way less work than it looks. The 981/991 dash, at least center console, comes apart easily and safely... it is a surprisingly good and uncomplicated design. Having worked on W124/W140 Mercedes interiors as well, this is practically a lego!

Regarding cables, that’s good to know that the noise reducer is effective. I may go for cables next... did you do your own install, or did you have it done for you?
Old 07-06-2018, 04:00 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Originally Posted by syzygetic
I only took the PCM out because I needed to remove the climate controls to get at the forward bolts. Was easier to just remove it and set aside than try to navigate around. Honestly, this is way less work than it looks. The 981/991 dash, at least center console, comes apart easily and safely... it is a surprisingly good and uncomplicated design. Having worked on W124/W140 Mercedes interiors as well, this is practically a lego!

Regarding cables, that’s good to know that the noise reducer is effective. I may go for cables next... did you do your own install, or did you have it done for you?
I had my install shop do it. The Numeric shifter and cables with noise reduction. The install worked out very well. What I like about the shifter and cables is the feeling of engagement with the synchro's and gears, which is lost with OEM equipment. I also feel you can be much more aggressive with the upshifts using Numeric equipment, knowing the cables will last. Downshifts are more positive as well. With the short shifter, I am able to rev match much more effectively now. I still need a block on the throttle to match the brake pedal level for throttle blipping.

Last edited by Apex1; 08-03-2018 at 02:33 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:09 AM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

Did you use Numeric brand 981 cables? I only see the 986/987 on their site for cables.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:24 PM
Apex1
Instructor

Originally Posted by syzygetic
Did you use Numeric brand 981 cables? I only see the 986/987 on their site for cables.
Sorry, I have a 987! Not sure if 981 cables are different. If they are the same, I would highly recommend that direct synchro/gear engagement feeling, as it aids in left foot/right hand work.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:21 PM
syzygetic
Rennlist Member

Ok, 250mi later on the new shifter, and I have noticed the following:

- First gear is far less reticent to take a shift, at least at an appropriate speed. I used to have trouble shifting into first even at 5-10mph, which is irritating in parking lots and when approaching a severe incline. This hesitation is completely gone with the Numeric shifter, and I have no idea why, but I'll take it.

- First-to-second gear is much easier to perform. This, like the first gear reticence noted above, is a very welcome feeling.

- Reverse is very, very hard to engage. I have seen this complaint elsewhere, but I have not seen anybody trying to fix it. I can live with this... it's far less annoying than the first gear reticence which the Numeric solves, and reverse is certainly not unavailable, just takes a lot more effort than stock.
Old 07-27-2018, 08:00 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 220 Likes on 135 Posts

Installing a set of Numeric Racing cables will greatly improve the shifting even more. Very rigid and direct. Directions are now all on the website. www.numericracing.com. Check out the demo Video

www.numericracing.com
sales@numericracing.com
Ph: 844-686-7223
Old 08-01-2018, 04:43 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Anyone who would like to contact my customer who has shifter and cables installed in his Boxster 981. Please feel free to do so. He is a really nice guy and would be happy to answer any of your questions. Here is his quote.
jroller1@rochester.rr.com

Dan,

Thank god that you posted the install pictures and instructions just in time and for talking to the service manager over the phone.

The shifter is amazingly precise! No slop or vagueness what so ever. The tech that did the install says he is going to get one of your shifters for his car. I just spent the last two days driving and shifting my Boxster through my favorite twisties! Very cool!

Thanks,

Jim Roller
Old 08-01-2018, 04:52 PM
flat6ix
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Numeric Racing
Anyone who would like to contact my customer who has shifter and cables installed in his Boxster 981. Please feel free to do so. He is a really nice guy and would be happy to answer any of your questions. Here is his quote.
jroller1@rochester.rr.com

Dan,

Thank god that you posted the install pictures and instructions just in time and for talking to the service manager over the phone.

The shifter is amazingly precise! No slop or vagueness what so ever. The tech that did the install says he is going to get one of your shifters for his car. I just spent the last two days driving and shifting my Boxster through my favorite twisties! Very cool!

Thanks,

Jim Roller
Does the shift **** end up sitting higher than stock as described by the OP in this thread, is there any way of lowering it to same height as oem stock unit or oem short shifter / gt4 unit?
Old 08-01-2018, 05:23 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The shift lever is threaded on. At it's lowest position it is 11.5mm lower than the stock shifter height. 8.5mm taller than the GT4 Sport Shifter. You can also raise the Numeric shifter up to an additional 18 more mm from it's lowest position. There is plenty of room to adjust to your liking.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:34 PM
Numeric Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I need to correct this statement. Numerics shifter lever will be 7.5mm taller than the GT4 and can adjust up to 28mm taller than the GT4 sport shifter. Compared to the stock shifter it can be adjusted to 11.5mm lower and up to 9.5mm taller.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:26 PM
dcharnet
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I am starting the installation of my Numeric III in my'14 BS and would appreciate some guidance.

I have removed the shifter and boot, the side panels and the silver ring/ gasket.

The next step appears to be the switch panel covering the shift cables.

Is it necessary to remove four screws or six? What size screw is this?

Once unscrewed, does it just lift off, followed by pulling the plug that is apparently under it, and then release the cables, pull the original shifter, then reinstall everything?

Thanks!
Old 08-05-2018, 10:21 PM
dcharnet
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Got it, never mind.

Quick Reply: Numeric Shifter in 981 Cayman