Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limited Slip Differential (Guards) installation in 2016 GTS, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 07:11 PM
Jef Pauly
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limited Slip Differential (Guards) installation in 2016 GTS, advice needed

Hi everyone, and for those reading this on the day of posting, happy fourth!
I had an order in for a 718 GTS, which I eventually canceled in favor of looking for a used 981 GTS (..). I've found a great example which ticked almost all the boxes for me (MT, sport suspension, manual seats being the big ones, then bose and park assist for convenience items), relatively low miles, one owner, good price. One thing it does not have is the PTV option - which gives you that plus a LSD. This being a car that will be semi regularly tracked, I was hoping to get the LSD, as it's really good to have on the track (and since it comes as standard equipment in the 718 GTS..).
At this point, I can either keep looking or stick with this one and get a Guards LSD in there. Anyone on here did that upgrade? I'm sure I would be better off with the Guards LSD in the end as it's a much more robust option than stock, but what about costs (of parts, plus install) and also what about potential conflict with the Porsche warranty? (this one still has 24 months). What are you guys thoughts? And thank you!

Last edited by Jef Pauly; 07-05-2018 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Incomplete information
Old 07-04-2018, 07:43 PM
khoahtran
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Subscribed, I’m interested about lsd too
Old 07-04-2018, 09:19 PM
donR
Pro

Received 202 Likes on 120 Posts

Also interested. LSD is a great idea.

Didn't know about the Guards, looks like a good LSD but I assume expensive? Says Torque biasing is best for autocross, other type for track and can be customized.

I've heard the helical type LSDs such as Quaife are also a good budget option.

You know the 718 also has an open diff so it is not better, PTV seems to be an option that hardly anyone gets on their Cayman. Perhaps just enthusiasts.

Only the 718 GTS has PTV as standard.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:09 AM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

The Guard LSD is vastly superior to the Porsche OEM LSD in terms of durability and function; Guard is arguably the best LSD available for your application. The cost to install will vary but figure in the $1200 range; the Guard LSD itself is around $3000. There are many thread here and on P9 detailing there experience with the Guard LSD. It is on my list of mods for my Cayman R.

DJM
Old 07-05-2018, 12:08 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

We no longer make a 6spd TBD due to lack of demand and interest. Quaife is your best option if you want gear driven, though I have no idea if they’ve made a version that works with the oil pump on the later cars.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Jef Pauly
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by GTgears
We no longer make a 6spd TBD due to lack of demand and interest. Quaife is your best option if you want gear driven, though I have no idea if they’ve made a version that works with the oil pump on the later cars.
@GTgears, well that's unfortunate. Could those be in stock somewhere? I got a call back from a shop with a quote for installation for a Guards so I'm wondering where they are getting or hoping to get the parts from.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:58 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
We no longer make a 6spd TBD
What is TBD?
Old 07-05-2018, 02:00 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

The question has to be asked if it's actually necessary.

Depending on the track application, my guess is no.

If you're going to do the occasional DE or autocross, I really don't think you're missing anything without PTV. If you're trying to set a blistering TT lap or be ultra-competitive in high-level autocross (or a professional drifter), maybe then you'd consider an aftermarket LSD.

Overall from all the research I've done on this topic, lack of PTV is not a deal breaker but to the most hardcore of the hardcore track rats... and even amongst those types it's still arguable. These cars were engineered for balance, and traction really isn't a problem unless they're pushed to the absolute limits. I'm sure there are some instances where a PTV would be preferred, but a lack of one certainly won't detract from the experience. Especially on the street.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:01 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidybuoy
What is TBD?
Torque biasing diff. A type of LSD.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:04 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by manifold danger
The question has to be asked if it's actually necessary.

Depending on the track application, my guess is no.

If you're going to do the occasional DE or autocross, I really don't think you're missing anything without PTV. If you're trying to set a blistering TT lap or be ultra-competitive in high-level autocross (or a professional drifter), maybe then you'd consider an aftermarket LSD.

Overall from all the research I've done on this topic, lack of PTV is not a deal breaker but to the most hardcore of the hardcore track rats... and even amongst those types it's still arguable. These cars were engineered for balance, and traction really isn't a problem unless they're pushed to the absolute limits. I'm sure there are some instances where a PTV would be preferred, but a lack of one certainly won't detract from the experience. Especially on the street.
Agree with this 100%. I'm a certified track rat with 100+ days in a variety of cars and an (expired) SCCA license, and I've never felt that the traction out of corners with the open diff at stock power levels is holding me back. The cars are very well balanced, not very high torque, and already have good rear end grip. I would take a LSD if someone wants to sponsor a DE car, but it's far down the list of mods I'd prioritize.
Old 07-05-2018, 02:58 PM
Jef Pauly
Cruisin'

Thanks guys, I understand that the 981 gts is not a torque or power monster so I can see the point of the LSD/TBD not being absolutely necessary, but I'll also say that I feel moderately enthusiastic about getting out there (on the track) with an open diff. The cars that I've taken to the track (including my e46 m3 track car) all have definitely benefited from the added traction of some kind of limited slip diff., especially at more technical tracks (like Sonoma, Streets of Willow, for those I know well). That said this car will not be a dedicated track car by any means (at least not yet..), so I will have to ponder on this.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:28 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,142 Likes on 642 Posts

Originally Posted by Jef Pauly
Thanks guys, I understand that the 981 gts is not a torque or power monster so I can see the point of the LSD/TBD not being absolutely necessary, but I'll also say that I feel moderately enthusiastic about getting out there (on the track) with an open diff. The cars that I've taken to the track (including my e46 m3 track car) all have definitely benefited from the added traction of some kind of limited slip diff., especially at more technical tracks (like Sonoma, Streets of Willow, for those I know well). That said this car will not be a dedicated track car by any means (at least not yet..), so I will have to ponder on this.
Counterpoint: Have you taken a mid-engine car out on the track? I haven't driven an E46, but my E36 was absolutely tail-happy by comparison and I'd have to say a limited-slip was an absolute necessity for that car. I can't imagine an E46 would be any different; my F82 if anything was even more tail-happy (but in a good way...). You could feel that car rotate mid-turn and you just knew that you needed all the grip you could get... the 981 is nothing remotely close to that. Again, not saying it wouldn't be beneficial but you'd probably have to do some sort of before and after to even really notice it.

The data seems to be there as well; assuming GTgears is a Guards representative, you have it directly from the source that the demand just isn't there; factor in the fact that PTV was a relatively rare option and it seems the market has determined that it's just not necessary for these cars.

The sport suspension, however (i.e., X73), IS probably a mandatory option for consistent track use. Or at least, you'd see a wider margin of benefit with the X73 than you would with PTV.

I do think that it should have been included as standard in the GTS package for the 981 though, as it rightly is with the 718.

Also; I'm jealous of how many great raceways you West Coast guys have in relative proximity.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:45 PM
Jef Pauly
Cruisin'

Counterpoint: Have you taken a mid-engine car out on the track? I haven't driven an E46, but my E36 was absolutely tail-happy by comparison and I'd have to say a limited-slip was an absolute necessity for that car. I can't imagine an E46 would be any different; my F82 if anything was even more tail-happy (but in a good way...). You could feel that car rotate mid-turn and you just knew that you needed all the grip you could get... the 981 is nothing remotely close to that. Again, not saying it wouldn't be beneficial but you'd probably have to do some sort of before and after to even really notice it.

The data seems to be there as well; assuming GTgears is a Guards representative, you have it directly from the source that the demand just isn't there; factor in the fact that PTV was a relatively rare option and it seems the market has determined that it's just not necessary for these cars.

The sport suspension, however (i.e., X73), IS probably a mandatory option for consistent track use. Or at least, you'd see a wider margin of benefit with the X73 than you would with PTV.

I do think that it should have been included as standard in the GTS package for the 981 though, as it rightly is with the 718.

Also; I'm jealous of how many great raceways you West Coast guys have in relative proximity.
I definitely appreciate your counterpoint - they are very different animals indeed. I wish I could compare the two options on track but alas I may have to toss a coin on that one.
Regarding the current standard GTS equipment, maybe I should have kept with the 718 GTS! 😜
(and enjoy the stock lsd while it lasted)

We are absolutely spoiled in California - between Laguna Sonoma, Buttonwillow, Big Willow, Streets of Willow, and Thunderhill, we really have all kinds.
Old 07-05-2018, 04:47 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Agree MR cars are less tail-happy in general. For reference, my background was also E36 M3 and then E92 M3, which benefitted greatly from a race diff in the E36 and the trick e-diff in the E92. The 981 is a different beast. Even with -2.5 front camber and -1.8 rear it is very neutral. Power oversteer is doable, but only when you want to.
Old 07-05-2018, 05:31 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 123 Likes on 86 Posts

You are drawing a conclusion off a misunderstanding. I said I discontinued the TBD. We are a motorsports LSD manufacturer. The TBD is a street tuner item and doesn't fit our product portfolio. We have droppped ALL TBDs from the our product offerings as we are selling out on them. About 8 of the 14 Porsche platforms we support have sold out, but I still have some, like 5spd Cayman and G50. When they are gone they are gone.

I sell a couple hundred Cayman LSDs a year. The demand is there. I would guess that in the Cayman market, 60-65% of buyers are DE guys and not racing.

Here's what I tell people about whether or not they are ready for an LSD. If you have started burning up rear pads and rotors, and maybe your calipers have even changed color from the heat; then you are driving the car hard enough to warrant an LSD. Doesn't matter if the car has PTV or not. The OEM street LSD is useless on track. They shed the friction pads in half a dozen events if they are driven hard. And then it's just a big heavy open diff with extra parts.

Jeff, if you want to PM me the name of who quoted you, I will help you figure out what you've been offered. It's possible someone somewhere has a TBD sitting on their shelf. It's more likely you were quoted an LSD. I'm not a vendor here and don't sell directly to the public anyway, but I'll get you pointed in the right direction.

Regards,

Matt Monson
Guard Transmission LLC

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Differential (Guards) installation in 2016 GTS, advice needed