Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Limited Slip Differential (Guards) installation in 2016 GTS, advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2018, 07:24 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

There was an immediate and noticeable improvement in my Cayman R after installing the Guard LSD.
And yes, I had brown rear calipers.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:42 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
You are drawing a conclusion off a misunderstanding.
Fair point, you're absolutely right. Thanks for shedding some light on the market, these sorts of things are always interesting to me.

More importantly to the topic however, is that I think you have confirmed my suspicion that an LSD should really only be a consideration for people who are taking the car close to its limits on a repeated basis; even if it's a street car, as long as you have the skill to drive it hard enough to warrant it, and are at the frequency of more than a handful of events over the lifetime of the car. I'll almost surely never get there with my Boxster, but this sort of insight is critical if I ever got serious with racing. Sounds like a must-buy if you're a serious competitor.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:36 PM
donR
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

If you're someone who does autocross style driving or goes on regular drive days on mountain/canyon roads with tight off camber uphill hairpin turns or switchbacks I think you will find the car will lose traction coming fast out of the uphill corner with the open diff. Really irritating if you are wanting to hammer it out of the corner but have to wait while the car flattens out and gains traction again. PTV would work really well in this situation where there is often one wheel in the air. I think nearly all 911s have PTV/LSD as standard.

I haven't tried this in a cayman without LSD but I have driven even 4wd cars with torsen centre diffs but open rear diff and they even lose traction. I think the Cayman with an open diff would be the same particularly with less suspension travel. 911 owners would never experience this problem unless you have a base Carrera.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:08 PM
Jef Pauly
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DME report for the aforementioned car

Hi guys, slightly off topic but here's the DME report on the car discussed. I'm assuming it's good but it's the first time I get to see one, anybody can confirm? Thank you!
Old 07-09-2018, 02:10 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Totally clean. Range 1 is just from hitting (not exceeding) rev limiter. Range 2 is fine too, although you have no Range 2. Range 3+ is no bueno.
Old 07-09-2018, 02:17 PM
Jef Pauly
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Totally clean. Range 1 is just from hitting (not exceeding) rev limiter. Range 2 is fine too, although you have no Range 2. Range 3+ is no bueno.
Awesome. Thank you. That is what I had assumed but usually try to avoid assumptions
Old 07-09-2018, 02:30 PM
Jef Pauly
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Jef Pauly

Hi guys, slightly off topic but here's the DME report on the car discussed. I'm assuming it's good but it's the first time I get to see one, anybody can confirm? Thank you!
About the very first line, what exactly do those 34 hours equal to?
Old 07-09-2018, 02:36 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

That's the time at which the car hit Range 1 revs. 34 hours of operation. I believe that means 34 hours of run time ago the car had a Range 1 overrev (which is not really an overrev at all).
Old 07-17-2018, 04:26 AM
Paul in San Jose
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Agree with this 100%. I'm a certified track rat with 100+ days in a variety of cars and an (expired) SCCA license, and I've never felt that the traction out of corners with the open diff at stock power levels is holding me back. The cars are very well balanced, not very high torque, and already have good rear end grip. I would take a LSD if someone wants to sponsor a DE car, but it's far down the list of mods I'd prioritize.
How many of those track days were done in the same car? The problem is not poor traction coming out of corners, the problem is overheating rear brakes, poor rotor/pad life, discolored calipers, and even overheated grease spooging out the CV boots onto the wheels (I've experienced all of the above). This doesn't happen right away, but gets progressively worse over many track days. Meanwhile the OEM LSD on a Cayman is not a serviceable item and there's no source for the bearings needed to install an aftermarket one. Is Porsche hoping track addicts will break down and buy GT3's?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:36 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paul in San Jose

How many of those track days were done in the same car? The problem is not poor traction coming out of corners, the problem is overheating rear brakes, poor rotor/pad life, discolored calipers, and even overheated grease spooging out the CV boots onto the wheels (I've experienced all of the above). This doesn't happen right away, but gets progressively worse over many track days. Meanwhile the OEM LSD on a Cayman is not a serviceable item and there's no source for the bearings needed to install an aftermarket one. Is Porsche hoping track addicts will break down and buy GT3's?
Not many, the 100+ includes 335i, E36 M3, E92 M3, formula mazda, 987.1S, 981S, probably some others. PSM causes/exacerbates most of those problems, doesn't it? I don't run PSM. The calipers are already fading, but I think that's fairly normal.

And definitely, to your last question!
Old 07-17-2018, 10:33 AM
khoahtran
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m experiencing these symptoms, its mostly because I’m leaving psm on but the grease coming out of the cv is worrying me, do I need to worry about this? Do I need to rebuild the cv?
Old 07-17-2018, 11:50 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by Jef Pauly
About the very first line, what exactly do those 34 hours equal to?
That is the number of operating hours at which the most recent recorded range 1 ignition occurred. There should be the 'total operating hours' listed somewhere too. The longer ago the ignitions occurred, the less chance there is for any concern. (applies to ignitions in range 3 or higher; range 1 and 2 ignitions are not an issue)
If you were to go out and hit the rev limiter today, the range 1 hours would equal the total operating hours.
Old 07-19-2018, 02:00 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Meanwhile the OEM LSD on a Cayman is not a serviceable item and there's no source for the bearings needed to install an aftermarket one. Is Porsche hoping track addicts will break down and buy GT3's?
I keep hearing this in the last two weeks. Someone must have posted this somewhere and it is getting parroted incorrectly. There are no bearings for the PDK gearbox. 6MT bearings are readily available and have been for more than a decade. 01x.409.123 is the part number. It's an Audi format because the 987.1 gearbox was quite literally an Audi A6 2WD gearbox. They made a new casting of the gearbox case for 987.2 and a slightly larger ring gear, but nothing substantial changed. Same diff and same bearings...
Old 07-19-2018, 11:20 PM
donR
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts

I believe 987 Cayman's with PDK did not initially have an aftermarket LSD option due to the small diff housing on the PDK car.

However, in my search I found this for PDK cars but it is for a 987.2.

https://www.teambgb.com/GUARD-LIMITE...-p/pdklsd2.htm

But they do not sell an LSD for 981 or 982 cars with PDK.

So what I am thinking is that if you want an LSD in your Cayman with PDK you need to buy a 987 or look for a 981 or 982 with PTV as an option.

Otherwise you have to buy a manual 981 and then there are plenty of aftermarket LSD options which presumably will also fit the manual 982.

Therefore, for myself considering a low miles 981 or 982 Cayman with PDK it pretty much cuts out all of the cars as they rarely come with PTV unless you buy a 718 GTS which is only available as a new car here.

My other thought is maybe you can order the PDK/PTV LSD including housing from Porsche and have them install it?

If "Paul in San Jose" is correct that the OEM unit is not serviceable then you must be able to replace the whole unit including housing. But at what cost?

What I find is that if you are doing hard autocross or mountain style driving with off camber uphill switchbacks or hair pins and wanting to power out of tight corners then with the open diff traction control will constantly intervene with inside wheel slippage and spoil your fun. If you are doing this type driving then I think you definitely need an LSD or PTV if you want PDK. Probably not important for street driving or even track with sweeping high speed corners.
Old 07-20-2018, 02:09 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by donR
I believe 987 Cayman's with PDK did not initially have an aftermarket LSD option due to the small diff housing on the PDK car.

However, in my search I found this for PDK cars but it is for a 987.2.

https://www.teambgb.com/GUARD-LIMITE...-p/pdklsd2.htm

But they do not sell an LSD for 981 or 982 cars with PDK.

So what I am thinking is that if you want an LSD in your Cayman with PDK you need to buy a 987 or look for a 981 or 982 with PTV as an option.

Otherwise you have to buy a manual 981 and then there are plenty of aftermarket LSD options which presumably will also fit the manual 982.

Therefore, for myself considering a low miles 981 or 982 Cayman with PDK it pretty much cuts out all of the cars as they rarely come with PTV unless you buy a 718 GTS which is only available as a new car here.

My other thought is maybe you can order the PDK/PTV LSD including housing from Porsche and have them install it?

If "Paul in San Jose" is correct that the OEM unit is not serviceable then you must be able to replace the whole unit including housing. But at what cost?

What I find is that if you are doing hard autocross or mountain style driving with off camber uphill switchbacks or hair pins and wanting to power out of tight corners then with the open diff traction control will constantly intervene with inside wheel slippage and spoil your fun. If you are doing this type driving then I think you definitely need an LSD or PTV if you want PDK. Probably not important for street driving or even track with sweeping high speed corners.
You've confused an out of date website with there being no option. There's no difference on the later PDK gearboxes and the same "baby" LSD works in them. That said, I am considering dropping the baby PDK LSD from the line. Those damn gearboxes seem to fail if you cough on them. I'm getting tired of people trying to blame the LSD for the failures when we've seen almost as many open diff cars fail as ones with the LSD added.
The following users liked this post:
ekam (06-20-2020)

Quick Reply: Limited Slip Differential (Guards) installation in 2016 GTS, advice needed