Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 Gen 1 S Air Conditioning Sound

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 09:21 AM
ODST
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 987 Gen 1 S Air Conditioning Sound

I'm a proud 987 Gen 1 Boxster S owner and I have noticed that when the air conditioning is on (i.e. the ECO button is unlit) there is a faint but unpleasant sound coming from the engine area. It's quite hard to describe but I would say that its like a faint unpleasant raspiness that is layered over the normal engine sound - imagine listening to the engine sound but having a piece of tin foil vibrating along with it in the background. The air conditioning itself is blowing cold air so it's not like it's actually broken. When I de-active the air conditioning (i.e. the ECO button is lit) the engine sounds smoother and has a cleaner sound to it - i.e. the raspiness immediately disappears.

I appreciate that my description is quite vague; it's a subtle but noticeable sound - enough for me to turn off the air conditioning to avoid it.

I wondered if anyone else in the community has had this experience and can advise please? Any suggestions welcome.

Many thanks in advance! I did search the forums but didn't find anything.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:58 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Presumably this is the AC compressor engaging and somehow contributing to the noise. I've never really noticed the compressor coming on in my '05 Boxster S at all. Wonder if there is an issue with the drive belt? AC compressor loose or it's bearing loose? I believe the compressor has a magnetic clutch that engages to drive it when called upon. Perhaps these get noisy when not operating properly. Perhaps someone with knowledge of same will chime in...

Is the AC producing cold dry air as it should?

Dave

Quick Reply: 987 Gen 1 S Air Conditioning Sound