Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 Gen 1 S

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2018, 09:20 AM
ODST
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 987 Gen 1 S

I'm a proud 987 Gen 1 Boxster S owner and I have noticed that when the air conditioning is on (i.e. the ECO button is unlit) there is a faint but unpleasant sound coming from the engine area. It's quite hard to describe but I would say that its like a faint unpleasant raspiness that is layered over the normal engine sound - imagine listening to the engine sound but having a piece of tin foil vibrating along with it in the background. The air conditioning itself is blowing cold air so it's not like it's actually broken. When I de-active the air conditioning (i.e. the ECO button is lit) the engine sounds smoother and has a cleaner sound to it - i.e. the raspiness immediately disappears.

I appreciate that my description is quite vague; it's a subtle but noticeable sound - enough for me to turn off the air conditioning to avoid it.

I wondered if anyone else in the community has had this experience and can advise please? Any suggestions welcome.

Many thanks in advance! I did search the forums but didn't find anything.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:25 AM
ODST
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry this is a duplicate thread - I can't figure out how to delete it. Sorry all.

Quick Reply: 987 Gen 1 S