Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question for the brain trust - filling bumper holes

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 04:36 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Question for the brain trust - filling bumper holes

I want to remove the license plate bracket from the front bumper but I have discovered that besides the two factory bumper holes, the previous owner used too long of screws and screwed the license plate into the bumper (looks like he used deck screws).

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions for filling these holes. My initial thought is to get some type of epoxy, fill the holes, sand (with tiny sand paper on pencil eraser to create small divet), then paint with touchup paint.

My other option is to take the bumper off and have it professionally repaired/painted but that's not gonna happen any time soon.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:31 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 63 Posts

I assume you have rejected Bumper Plugs as a solution?

My ‘06, which I bought new, came to my local dealer via a different dealer in the midwest, and it appears the sourcing dealer did the same thing to my car. I opted for Bumper Plugs, as I was unwilling to have the front cover professionally painted.

If I ever buy another new Porsche, and the car arrives damaged like this, I will refuse delivery..

Old 07-02-2018, 10:56 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Go with Bumper Plugs. They are color matched and look good (all things considered).

I never run run a front plate and have never been stopped or questioned about it during a stop.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:14 PM
boisenelson
Rennlist Member

Received 177 Likes on 131 Posts

Agreed with both of the above comments. You can get the bumper plugs paint matched to your car...lots of options out there. Here is one example:

https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.ph...search=porsche
Old 07-03-2018, 12:42 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

I would have it repaired/painted professionally. Touch-up paint never looks good. I'm on the same boat and waiting for the right time to get it done. In the meantime, I am hiding the holes with a fake Euro plate. I think at least it looks better than a U.S. plate in the front.

Old 07-03-2018, 03:12 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for posting the Euro Plate. Do you know if that is the "long" plate or "short"?

I would be ok with the bumper plugs if it was just 2 holes but in my case it's 4 holes (who does that??).
Old 07-03-2018, 03:22 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidybuoy
Thanks for posting the Euro Plate. Do you know if that is the "long" plate or "short"?

I would be ok with the bumper plugs if it was just 2 holes but in my case it's 4 holes (who does that??).
I know!! My car has 4 holes, too! It's beyond my comprehension why Porsche didn't design a bracket that wouldn't ruin the front bumper. Even Mazda did for their Miata.

It is the long plate and this vendor makes any plate and ships with a cleverly designed frame with so many holes that you can use the existing holes.

https://www.customeuropeanplates.com...SAAEgJ1hfD_BwE
Old 07-03-2018, 03:25 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 878 Likes on 532 Posts

I've used Bumper Plugs over the years with good results IF you have no choice. Ordered a new M3 several years ago and specifically requested NO front bumper holes- some lot jockie must have drilled them before it came off the truck as I was checking it out soon after it arrived. The salesman (who I'd bought several cars from and knew me well) was terrified. Luckily he replaced the whole front bumper cap from the next silver M3 that came into the dealership a month later...
Old 07-03-2018, 03:31 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Agree Bumper Plugs are best option unless you are good with body work and paint. They tidy up the appearance but are still noticeable.
Old 07-03-2018, 04:01 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Silver is a PITA to match right. Its only plastic bumper cover, in my mind, no worry painting it. If it was black, red, white, non metallics are easier to match right. I'd paint it.

In this case, just get the bumper plugs.
Old 07-03-2018, 05:36 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Tidybuoy
Agreed. If you don't like the thought of it now... you'll hate it every time you look at the front of the car. Paint it!
Old 07-03-2018, 10:26 PM
to_riffic_day
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm pretty OCD about holes. For my GT4, I bought a brand new rear bumper, filled the holes, and painted it so I could remove the bracket. I feel much better after doing all that...=x
Old 07-04-2018, 11:13 AM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by to_riffic_day
I'm pretty OCD about holes. For my GT4, I bought a brand new rear bumper, filled the holes, and painted it so I could remove the bracket. I feel much better after doing all that...=x
Rear bumper?
Old 07-04-2018, 03:01 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Don't totally discount the idea of a professional touchup. I had a chunk of wood put a dent in my front bumper. Local shop was able to repair and spot paint the Seal Gray finish perfectly, then clear coated. I had whole bumper clear coated, but a touchup on four holes should be easy. There are a couple of bumper repair franchises that advertise here in Asheville, so I'm assuming they are common. Worth a shot.....

Last edited by RWPinNC; 07-05-2018 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-05-2018, 09:56 AM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 337 Posts

Originally Posted by RWPinNC
Don't totally discount the idea of a professional touchup. I had a chunk of wood put a dent in my front bumper. Local shop was able to repair and spot paint the Seal Gray finish perfectly, then clear coated. I had whole bumper clear coated, but a touchup on four wholes should be easy. There are a couple of bumper repair franchises that advertise here in Asheville, so I'm assuming they are common. Worth a shot.....
+1...If a good "spot repair" guy isn't willing to do it, then you're probably limited to remove/repair/repaint or bumper plugs.

Quick Reply: Question for the brain trust - filling bumper holes