Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder track day

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 11:46 AM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 981 Spyder track day

Hello guys, considering buying a 981 Spyder, I have some questions for some track days with.

1- Possible to install a harness bar? ( for security with 918 spyder seats ) and what brands you know? the car have mount point for harness?

2 - what mods for an improvement? Headers ( I see FVD or cargraphic )

3 - What size of track wheels install? GT4 clubsport wheels fit? ( same size? ) with Michelin sport cup 2

Its for just some track days not to do a racing car

Another advice is welcome

Thanks
Old 07-02-2018, 10:12 AM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Metzeger
Hello guys, considering buying a 981 Spyder, I have some questions for some track days with.

1- Possible to install a harness bar? ( for security with 918 spyder seats ) and what brands you know? the car have mount point for harness?

2 - what mods for an improvement? Headers ( I see FVD or cargraphic )

3 - What size of track wheels install? GT4 clubsport wheels fit? ( same size? ) with Michelin sport cup 2

Its for just some track days not to do a racing car

Another advice is welcome

Thanks
No off-the-shelf harness bar exists for the 981 Boxster, but you can have one fabbed up like this: https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...ocal-area.html

Headers? For what purpose? If you prefer the sound enhancement of headers, sure, but the Spyder at 375 horsepower should be more than sufficient for 'some track days not to do a racing car'.

Special wheels not needed, OEM size will work. Michelin sport cup 2 are excellent tires.

Other advice? Focus on the driver (you) and get some instruction and do not worry about upgrading your car until you are much more experienced at tracking.

Cheers,
DJM
Old 07-02-2018, 10:13 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed with DJM. I have tracked mine. Car is stock. Just got an aggressive alignment done to suit the handling to how I like it. 4 track days and my PZeros have finally started to lose max corner grip. No need for any more changes. Mods are gonna do jack. Biggest improvement comes from you.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:20 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Only thing I’d do is pads, brake fluid, and alignment. Stock handling is great but when pushed front feels like it will wash out.
This isn’t a car you’d dedicate to the track but suspect will be fun out there.
Old 07-02-2018, 11:11 AM
Schmidts Cat
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you only plan for a few track days, don’t do much. If a good number of track days, get a cayman r.... safer.
Old 07-02-2018, 04:51 PM
Metzeger
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

thanks for advice guys
Old 07-02-2018, 06:47 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Isn’t it a slippery slope. A few track days turns into a lot of track days turns into a race car then a truck and trailer etc....

Someone also fabricates harness mounts to the firewall behind the seat where the straps thread through. I’ve see on the GT4 so don’t see why it wouldn’t work for a Boxster.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder track day