Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First drive in 987 (or any Porsche for that matter) thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2018, 04:26 AM
iand1821
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First drive in 987 (or any Porsche for that matter) thoughts

My summer job after my sophomore year in high school required a 20 minute drive including passing a white 944 parked on the side of the highway. The beautiful machine never seemed to move, which caused me to think it was neglected, and maybe the owner would be interested in letting it go for a modest amount (which would require all my lifeguard job savings, selling my ‘97 GTI and convincing my dad this would be a good idea). I finally worked up the courage to stop at the property, knock on the door and leave a note for the owner. Sadly, the owner never reached out and the car disappeared.

Two years later, the coach of our volley ball team had a 944 turbo with some mods and took a few of us for rides and my love for Porsches grew.

Flash forward a decade and a half, and I’m in a place where considering purchasing the machine with “no substitute” is a possibility. Models within my reach are 987’s and 996’s. Obligatory searching of Craigslist, Autotrader, used dealerships, etc. ensued and a local spot has two Caymans on the lot - a 2007 base with 22k miles and 2006 S with 35k miles, both with MT.

Prior to having driven either of these, or any Pcar, I assumed the differences between these two examples would be minimal. I was wrong. I took the base version out first, and was impressed with the exhaust note, but the power left me wanting. Next I hopped into the S and took it up into the foothills of Santa Barbara for a 20 minute jaunt; this is the car I need. The 280hp combined with the chorus from the bigger power plant north of 4K rpm had me giggling.

I don’t know what #/10th I took it to in the twisties we carved, but it wasn’t even close to the limit. What a special experience. I will be scrambling to make the numbers work to take the S home. If I can’t snag this one before someone else, my search going forward will no longer include the base model. The S model’s sound, feel and grunt in the higher revs is just too good.

On to saving and dreaming for (hopefully) only a little bit longer.
Old 07-03-2018, 06:11 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I, too, lusted after a first-year 944, Guards Red/Black, that was always parked at a nearby high school. Every time I went to the school to run around their track, there it was. The first time I laid eyes on her, something clicked and these things cannot be explained.

My only advice would be to exercise patience once you're financially ready to pull the trigger. After waiting and saving up, the urge is great to get something parked on your driveway, PRONTO, but be selective and get behind the wheel of everything you can. "No substitute" also applies to seat time, which is invaluable as you usually come away from every test drive with some tidbit of knowledge you didn't possess before.

Good luck in your search and continued success in building up your war chest.

Quick Reply: First drive in 987 (or any Porsche for that matter) thoughts