Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

seat options on the 987.2 spyder

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 04:41 PM
brur
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default seat options on the 987.2 spyder

I notice pictures of the lightweight seats with high bolsters. (My recently bought car has more sedate seats). Do owners find it difficult to get in and out of their Spyders that have the racing type seats? I'm not asking the young owners, I'm asking the guys with a few extra miles on their personal clocks. My girlfriend and I are not round the bend yet but our clocks have seen a lot of rotations. Feeling young and being young is not the same thing ;-( .
Old 06-27-2018, 05:00 PM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm 60 and I see it as part of overall workout routine ... it requires that I am a bit flexible, but then I am also being careful about getting in and out so as not to drag myself in and out and scrape up anything in the car ... for me it is well worth the effort
Old 06-27-2018, 05:18 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

You are talking about the Lightweight Bucket Seats (LWB's) or Sport Bucket Seats, also known as the GT2 seat.
For me, a 57yo stocky guy (I'm being kind) they are the second most comfortable seat Porsche makes. Long drives with no issues. I'm 5'11" tall and would like them to be just slightly lower. Otherwise, no complaints.
The most comfortable for me are the Full Bucket Seats (FBS), also known as the 918 seat. They are a bit wider and offer height adjustment, where the LWB's do not.

There is a method to getting in and out that is simple and avoids dragging your backside across the bolster. Own one for a day and it's a non-issue.
They are amazing cars! Go for it!!
Old 06-27-2018, 06:07 PM
Joe Henley
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I can go "Only1Buck" one better, nah NINE. Turned 69 a few days ago. My 2010 BS has the Sports Bucket Seats. Very comfortable, even for me. Go for it!
Joe Henley
Old 06-27-2018, 06:55 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

I will even go better. My wife and I are 76, I have a bad back and we have been all over the country and put 40,000 on our Spyder with the sport buckets and we could not be happier. Getting in and out is fun to watch but once in I can do 12 hour days on the road
Old 06-27-2018, 07:11 PM
Joe Henley
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh dear! I fear we may have chased away the OP. The seats are just fine, but the car is driven only by old F@rts! ;-)
Joe Henley
Old 06-27-2018, 08:50 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts

I AX and have the non sport bucket seats and have not problems sliding around like I did in my 996GT3. I got the regular seats for the additional head room as I’m 6’2” with a 32 inch inseam.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:33 PM
brur
Advanced

Well! I'm not the oldest. So you can climb out of the LWBs without feeling like your doing them harm, good to know. I've not seen them being offered, at least as far as I can tell.
I must have the non-sport seats, they seem fine to me but I guess like I'm missing out.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:37 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Need some advice. I have a 2012 Cayman R with the Lightweight Buckets. I would like to switch to the Porsche standard seat (not exactly sure what it is called). Has anyone made the switch from LWB to non-bucket seats? I am looking a the 987 seats that have the manual slider, manual height adjustment, but the power recline. I believe this was the other option for 987 Spyders and Cayman R. I mostly curious if the there is a power wire already installed on the car for the power recline feature on the standard seats. Thanks.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:42 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean 911
Need some advice. I have a 2012 Cayman R with the Lightweight Buckets. I would like to switch to the Porsche standard seat (not exactly sure what it is called). Has anyone made the switch from LWB to non-bucket seats? I am looking a the 987 seats that have the manual slider, manual height adjustment, but the power recline. I believe this was the other option for 987 Spyders and Cayman R. I mostly curious if the there is a power wire already installed on the car for the power recline feature on the standard seats. Thanks.
You should have NO problem facilitating a seat change like this Sean. The LWBS are the highly sought after ones and usually it's the other way around - someone purchasing LWBS and dropping them in - that's what I did in my first Spyder.

They standard R / Spyder sheets should be a direct bolt in. My friend has a Spyder he did that exactly that - he dropped in my original seats and them add heat for the cooler driving months.

Chances are you R is wired for them and you can just swap them out. Good luck!

P.s. Don't forget there is a HUGE price difference between the two seat types so you'll pocket some cash if your do this change.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:27 AM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

I did exactly what you're asking, got a set of Sports Seats from a GT2 and put them in place of the LWB seats. There is a power wire and the airbag connector is the same. The seat belt anchor buckle on the buckets is a little longer, but I like it just like that.

I'm in the camp that finds the buckets less than optimal. They are too upright for my taste and the upper bolster pinches in my shoulders. It has nothing to do with age (in my 50s), the position of the buckets is perfect for how you want to sit when on a racetrack, low and upright. I'm 5 10 and in good shape, play competitive tenniis 6 hours a week and get in and out of the buckets fine (it's easy).

Fwiw the the sports seats that were the option, like the ones I got, provide 90 percent of the support that the buckets give you. They have a manual height adjustment that let's you get them as low as the LWBs and a power rake that let's you get them upright so you get good shoulder lateral support. I just did a track day with them and they are fine.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:21 PM
SeanPatrick31
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 46 Posts

Thank you very much Zeus and Andy. You guys have been very helpful. Really appreciate it.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:08 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just an FYI: Many with the GT2 seats know that climbing over the outside bolster and not dragging your butt on it will avoid wear on the upholstery material. R'lister Crazie Eddie makes a very high quality protector that fits over the bolster for protection. Additionally, try to find someone who has them and climb in to see if they REALLY fit you.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:46 PM
brur
Advanced

Is there any ability to set the sport bucket seats for altitude? Short of fabricating shims.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:33 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by brur
Is there any ability to set the sport bucket seats for altitude? Short of fabricating shims.
Not on the GT2 seats. You could also have the lower cushion thickness increased to increase or decrease height as needed. The cushions are velcroed in and can be easily removed/exchanged in two minutes.

Quick Reply: seat options on the 987.2 spyder