Sponsored by: APR

Rear "PORSCHE" badge question for Spyder/GT4 owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 06:47 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Rear "PORSCHE" badge question for Spyder/GT4 owners

I want to relocate the "PORSCHE" badge along with the "Boxster S" badge from the rear trunk lid to the rear bumper just like the Spyder/GT4. I just think it looks better this way on the 981. I already have the new OEM badges in matte black and studying the pictures of the Spyders/GT4s here to determine the proper positioning. One thing I can't be sure is whether the "PORSCHE" badge on the Spyder/GT4 is straight or slightly curved. The "PORSCHE" badge on the trunk lid on my 981 BS is noticeably curved somewhat following the trunk lid line. The same badge on the rear bumper on the Spyder/GT4 looks to be straighter but I'm not sure if it's absolutely straight or ever slightly curved. I would appreciate it if the Spyder/GT4 owners here would take a look and tell me whether it's straight or curved. If it's curved, I think it will be almost impossible to recreate it without having a template.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:34 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I'll double check when I get home, but judging from these pics I think you may be right about there being a slight curve.

Old 06-26-2018, 09:23 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Thanks SJ. I looked at the badge on my BS again and noticed that the curvature was not as pronounced as I had thought it was. I wonder if the amount of curvature is the same between the Spyder/GT4 and the base/S Boxster.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:28 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Definitely curved on mine. When looking from above, follows the line of the bumper.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:54 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I wonder... If you lay the flat logo onto the bumper, will it curve on it's own? I'd be surprised if they hand-placed these letters... perhaps that is the curve of the bumper itself?
Old 06-26-2018, 11:32 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Would be worth it to go to a dealership and take some measurements off of a GT4/Spyder.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:05 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT4John
Definitely curved on mine. When looking from above, follows the line of the bumper.
Thanks John!

Originally Posted by daylorb
I wonder... If you lay the flat logo onto the bumper, will it curve on it's own? I'd be surprised if they hand-placed these letters... perhaps that is the curve of the bumper itself?
One way to find out is to lay a long strip of masking tape underneath the badge. Actually, I can find out if the amount of the curvature is the same as the existing badge on the trunk lid of my 981 BS by trying this method on both.

Originally Posted by BryanCO
Would be worth it to go to a dealership and take some measurements off of a GT4/Spyder.

Will make a trip to my local dealership this weekend to do the masking tape test. Their website is showing two GT4s in inventory.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:37 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Ignore the crappy picture and totally unscientific approach, but I placed a straight-edge tape measure under the center letter "S" and as you can see the "P" "O" and the "H" "E" are noticeably higher. Tough to hold the tape measure level with one hand while stepping back far enough to get the whole picture in frame, and then snap the shot with the other hand, but you get the idea.

While the lettering looks great as it conforms to the curve of the fender/ducktail, I question whether it would look bad, or even be that noticeable, if the P 0 R S C H E script just went straight across. You might want to eyeball it before going through the machinations of trying to accurately measure the variations in height of each of the letters. Something tells me it might look fine straight.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2018, 11:54 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Ignore the crappy picture and totally unscientific approach, but I placed a straight-edge tape measure under the center letter "S" and as you can see the "P" "O" and the "H" "E" are noticeably higher. Tough to hold the tape measure level with one hand while stepping back far enough to get the whole picture in frame, and then snap the shot with the other hand, but you get the idea.

While the lettering looks great as it conforms to the curve of the fender/ducktail, I question whether it would look bad, or even be that noticeable, if the P 0 R S C H E script just went straight across. You might want to eyeball it before going through the machinations of trying to accurately measure the variations in height of each of the letters. Something tells me it might look fine straight.

Good luck!
SJ, this is great! Thank you so much for taking the time to do this for me. This confirms that there is a curve to it and the amount of curvature looks to be very similar to my existing badge. In this case, I can make a template from the existing badge on the trunk lid and use it to recreate the curvature. Thanks again!
Old 06-27-2018, 07:55 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Comparing the two pictures below (SJ's Spyder and my 981 BS), the amount of the logo curvature seems to be equal or close enough at least. I will make a template based upon the badge on my trunk lid and apply it to the rear bumper. It should be close enough to the factory look. I will go to the dealership on Saturday and take some measurements on their GT4s.

Old 06-27-2018, 10:10 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

@storii - the assembly line(s) uses template(s) to place the various letters/words/numbers, etc etc. It's in a few YouTube vids. Kinda cool.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:08 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT4John
@storii - the assembly line(s) uses template(s) to place the various letters/words/numbers, etc etc. It's in a few YouTube vids. Kinda cool.
Yup, I'm aware of that and as a matter of fact know that the dealers have the templates. One thing I'm not sure is whether they have the template for the 981 Spyder/GT4 due to their relative rarity. Someone said they would charge one full hour labor for the 10-minute job. I will turn to a dealer (first I will have to locate the one who has the template for the Spyder/GT4) if this job proves to be too difficult and/or time consuming but it will be the last resourt.
Old 06-29-2018, 12:15 AM
Dr. Acula
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen those types of templates on eBay in the past. None on there right now though. :-(
Old 06-30-2018, 12:57 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Went to my local dealer this morning and immediately spotted a Guards Red GT4 in their lot. I approached its rear thinking this was too easy and found that the car had been debadged! Walked around their lot and found a GT Silver Spyder. Got my measurements and confirmed that the amount of the curvature is the same as the badge on my trunk lid. I'm ready to attack the job!

Old 06-30-2018, 07:21 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

It's done! I think it looks really good. Here is how I did it:

Now that I confirmed my existing badge is the same as the Spyders' regarding the spacing and the curvature, I started the template with masking tape.

Added thicker paper around the letters so that the template would maintain its shape when peeled off.

Moving the template to the rear bumper was the most difficult part. I had to redo it several times before I got it right.

Once the template was aligned correctly, putting the letters was a piece of cake.

Removed the original badges and the new look was complete!

I like the new look much better!

Quick Reply: Rear "PORSCHE" badge question for Spyder/GT4 owners