Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

purchase advice on a 987.1

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 05:48 PM
skidpalace
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default purchase advice on a 987.1

Finalizing a deal on a 2006 Boxster base manual trans tomorrow.
If all goes well I will have it in for PPI then take it home by the weekend.
This car is Guards Red with Sand Beige Standard leather interior.
Options are:
Sports Chrono Pkg w/o PCM
Bose System w/windstop
Heated seats
18" Boxster S wheels (lobster forks)
Wheel caps w/colored crests
Climate control

The car has 106K miles, 3 owners, with the car being offered as a CPO Porsche to the second owner. Current owner has owned for five years since 73K.
Body is 9/10
Interior is 7 or 8/10 with the usual scuffs and wear and gummy buttons.
Top is decent shape, no issues.
Minimal to no rust visible.
Stereo is replaced with double DIN Kenwood touchscreen bluetooth yada yada yada.
Recent repairs/maintenance by current owner is brakes, tires, front struts, water pump, frunk release motor and associated control board.
Only issue is an accident on the Autocheck in 2012 described as "rear impact with another vehicle".

I am not tremendously concerned with the mileage, nor the accident on record as there are no signs whatsoever of bodywork being done. No obvious paint color changes in the rear. No gaps in the panels.

What would be a fair purchase price (keeping in mind this is in New England where prices are a bit higher in the summer)? I think I am getting the car at a decent price, but I always second guess myself.

Thanks for your opinions.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:56 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by skidpalace
. . . This car is Guards Red with Sand Beige Standard leather interior.
Options are:
Sports Chrono Pkg w/o PCM
Bose System w/windstop
Heated seats
18" Boxster S wheels (lobster forks)
Wheel caps w/colored crests
Climate control
I'm not conversant with prices for these cars so I can't help you there, but would just mention that if the car is equipped with the Carrera S wheels from the Boxster S (aka lobster forks) as indicated, then they may be 19" and not 18" as stated in your description above. I had these wheels on my '05 S and they were 19". Anyway, might be worth double-checking.

Good luck! Had nothing but success with my 987.1.

Old 06-26-2018, 07:52 PM
skidpalace
Advanced

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
I'm not conversant with prices for these cars so I can't help you there, but would just mention that if the car is equipped with the Carrera S wheels from the Boxster S (aka lobster forks) as indicated, then they may be 19" and not 18" as stated in your description above. I had these wheels on my '05 S and they were 19". Anyway, might be worth double-checking.

Good luck! Had nothing but success with my 987.1.

I'll check them out tomorrow, but the window sticker says 18". Thanks.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:14 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Sound a good car with a lot of the commen maintainance taken care of . Guards red is lovely but can fade if left in the sun.
I ran a gen 1 987 with 40k miles for two years and 15k miles and had a fair few jobs to do .Good inspection necessary . Here are some more
common things i had to sort out .

New starter motor
New window regulator
New Front and rear springs - they can break any time
New amplifier
New exhaust clamps
Engine misfire problem - new coil packs and solenoid
Old 06-27-2018, 12:15 PM
skidpalace
Advanced

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
Sound a good car with a lot of the commen maintainance taken care of . Guards red is lovely but can fade if left in the sun.
I ran a gen 1 987 with 40k miles for two years and 15k miles and had a fair few jobs to do .Good inspection necessary . Here are some more
common things i had to sort out .

New starter motor
New window regulator
New Front and rear springs - they can break any time
New amplifier
New exhaust clamps
Engine misfire problem - new coil packs and solenoid
Thanks for the info. I fully expect that I have a couple thou in maintenance that has to happen now, such as the clutch. W/O service records, I will have to play it by ear. I also detected a slight smoky smell after the first spirited test drive. I expect that there is a seal or gasket or two that is seeping some oil.
This is why I was hoping to get some value estimate from you guys. I don't think I am overpaying, but don't know. I am going to try to comb ebay motors for sold data.
Does the Sport Chrono add much value to a non-S car without PASM?
Old 06-28-2018, 02:31 AM
skidpalace
Advanced

So on today's test drive I paid close attention to the clutch. With no service record proof, I have to assume the clutch has not been replaced. I did notice that when letting the clutch out in gear I would get a slight shudder in the clutch pedal. After a bit of research I have gleaned that the behavior could be a warped flywheel rather than worn clutch plates? Thoughts on this? Tranny drop plus clutch plus flywheel plus whatever else pops up at PPI is looking like $4500, no?
Old 07-01-2018, 10:48 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Two ways to look at a possible clutch job/it has the original clutch.

Bad: I need to spend money on a clutch

Good: The previous owners got 106K out of the clutch, so the car was not beaten on.

Your call.
Old 07-02-2018, 12:43 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

When you say shudder are you actually getting a feeling like the clutch is grabbing and letting go or just a “feel” in the pedal? Porsche 987 clutch is hydraulic and if it wasn’t included in the 24 month fluid flush it’s possible the slave cylinder has corrosion due to moisture. Might be worth having the system flushed and driving it again to see if the feeling goes away.
Old 07-02-2018, 01:06 AM
skidpalace
Advanced

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
When you say shudder are you actually getting a feeling like the clutch is grabbing and letting go or just a “feel” in the pedal? Porsche 987 clutch is hydraulic and if it wasn’t included in the 24 month fluid flush it’s possible the slave cylinder has corrosion due to moisture. Might be worth having the system flushed and driving it again to see if the feeling goes away.
Hard to say. I didn't notice it at all in the first test drive, but during the second I could feel the slight grabbiness or shudder just as the clutch was fully engaged (in gear). There is no slip, no mushy feel, just the slight shudder before you let off the pedal.
I agreed to buy the car, and expect to have it PPI'd on tomorrow or Tuesday.

Quick Reply: purchase advice on a 987.1