Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

easy repair?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2018, 04:12 PM
porsche3.2
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default easy repair?

Hi,
How bad does this damage look?
Projected cost of repair please

Thanks
Old 06-24-2018, 06:05 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Lol...Gosh - I think that’d be a difficult guess from a single photo. I’d say you wouldn’t want to repair that door but you might be able to salvage the front fender. Remember that the rocker that runs between that front fender through to the rear wheel (and houses the side vent) is plastic and cans be replaced for less than $300 (as I recall), so it’s probably not worth salvaging. Without knowing if the damage was only superficial, paint & all, maybe $5-7k (looks like you have to paint/blend the whole side). Not my specialty though so it may as well be the attached photo - best of luck! -Dom
Old 06-25-2018, 02:31 AM
porsche3.2
Racer

Thanks, when I meant repair, I did mean replace parts or repair.
Do the front and rear wheels not look out of alignment too?, if they have had a knock what is the likely damage?
The driver seat side air bag also went off only.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:06 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by porsche3.2
Thanks, when I meant repair, I did mean replace parts or repair.
Do the front and rear wheels not look out of alignment too?, if they have had a knock what is the likely damage?
The driver seat side air bag also went off only.
You're kidding of course?
Old 06-26-2018, 12:38 AM
Brian in Tucson
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

You have an expensive sports car--that probably was very nice. Are you planning on fixing it yourself? Doing it as cheaply as possible? You could probably get all the body parts at a breaker, don't think I would, but. . .

You really need to take it to a first rate bodyshop--audition them by inspecting their work on other high end cars. You need a new door, all the undamaged hardware will need to be installed. You obviously need a fender. The bit under the door, etc. probably should be replaced as well. And airbag, too. You need to have the frame checked for tweeking and the front end closely inspected. You need absolutely the best paint technician you can find. Probably wouldn't hurt to have the wheels trued, too.

Not gonna be cheap, and your insurance rating will take a hit. Good luck, Dude! (That's Amurikan for "Mate.")
Old 06-26-2018, 01:10 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,064 Posts

Assuming no mechanical damage. 25kusd
Old 06-26-2018, 02:04 AM
porsche3.2
Racer

Thanks, its not mine, it was for sale and has been repaired, just trying to understand what might have been the true damage in addition to the body panels.
Old 06-26-2018, 02:14 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Depending on what it’s been through I would definitely recommend looking for any type of frame damage. The chassis on these cars are aluminum and the only way to repair any frame damage is with replacement. Check front strut mounts for any damage or fractures etc.

Quick Reply: easy repair?