Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Street Suspension/Lowering options

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 12:03 AM
Apex1
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
^^Hmm, I like that look with the front LCAs and rear bushings. I was considering spacers to go with the whole package, but the idea of achieving the same look but more function is even more appealing. Can you tell me where you purchased the LCAs and rear bushings and what alignment specs you ultimately went with?

This thread has basically convinced me to just "spring" for the X73 package afterall.
I just called Tarett Engineering after looking at their web site. I called Ira a couple of times at get a good read on these Cup LCA's vs GT3 LCA's, which they also carry. After talking with him, I was convinced it was the right move for me. Those LCA'a changed the way I drive my car on turnin, trail braking, throttle response mid corner. Im getting used to them now. If you are on Planet 9, you can read another Cayman R owner who changed over to these LCA's. His saga is in the 987 Modification section, "Is this what the slippery slope looks like"? by djm68.

The eccentric monoball bushing for the rear is also available through Tarett Engineering or Elephant Racing. Those two items, plus the X73 springs would work great. Then you will need an install shop that can give you a good alignment to take advantage of those solid thrust pucks. I am referring to 5 minutes of toe out in front and about 12 minutes of toe in in the rear. You can use about -1.3 camber in the front from the internal slot adjustment on shock tower mounts and -1.6 in the rear from the eccentric bushings. Then figure out which canyon you can assault with your new suspension. Let us know how it works out. I am using -2.7f and -2.5r, but that's another story. I have R rated race tires/wheels to get the most out of that camber as well as daily OEM wheels and tires.

Last edited by Apex1; 10-08-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:21 AM
Apex1
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
Could you explain what you mean about X73 + PASM + DSC? I have a PASM equipped CS now, and I was under the impression that putting on X73 would involve removing PASM, and I'm weight PASM + DSC vs X73 vs just leaving it alone as-is.
Where is lovetoturn when you need him? He can explain his suspension better than I can, but here it goes. He likes to use the Porsche parts catilog as much as possible. He removed the PASM springs and fitted X73 springs to the PASM shocks. Then he purchased the DSC system from TPC Engineering, which has a much faster computer, gyro's and broader spectrum in what it can be programed to do. I would suggest looking at Planet 9 under lovetoturn and go back on his entry's about a year to find the threads explaining this modification. It give him the best of both worlds,

Last edited by Apex1; 06-27-2018 at 12:44 AM.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:21 AM
Koturbo1
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently installed vogtland lowering springs on stock suspension. I also lowered for aesthetics and was very surprised by the improved handling. Car rides beautifully and looks amazing. My all in cost was about $1000 installed. PM me for pics if you wish.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:29 PM
jeffm
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Koturbo1,
Would love to see some pics!
Old 10-08-2018, 06:45 AM
CornerOffice
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Bumping thread for others thinking of the X73 upgrade, in this case on a BS. Also added 14/7 spacers.

Old 10-09-2018, 01:28 PM
smellslikecurry
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running HR springs on my PASM car and I love it. When they blow, I'll most likely move onto an x73 setup.

The following 2 users liked this post by smellslikecurry:
Kernel Klink (11-17-2020), mkp81 (04-28-2022)
Old 10-09-2018, 09:33 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

I just went though the same thought process.
Labor is the same for springs as to replace with coilovers.
I commited and installed KWv3 coilovers!
The ride is better than my new GT3! Confident and compliant! Worth the $$ to me and my wife. She wanted to sell the car after driving the GT3. Now she likes it more than the GT3 and I can feel why.

Quick Reply: 981 Street Suspension/Lowering options