Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you add TPMS to your car?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2018, 05:32 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Can you add TPMS to your car?

I don't think my car has the ire pressure monitor system. Car is fairly new to me and I haven't seen anything regarding tire pressure when scrolling thru the gauge menu.

My question: can I add this? Is it simply the pieces that go inside the wheel and the valve stem or is their an electronic module that has to be added to the car? Or, if adding the components to the wheels, do you just have to have the dealer activate it?

Just wondering, it seems like that could be convenient.
Old 06-23-2018, 10:24 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I wish I could take mine off of my car and give it to you!

But yes, you can add an aftermarket TPMS setup to your car if you want, but it will be a very non-OEM looking gauge that you'll have to find a place to mount somewhere in your car. If you are hoping to add in a factory integrated TPMS setup, I don't believe you can do that, or at least not without a complicated and expensive computer programming process. Personally I find the system to be somewhat annoying, as the sensors eventually go bad and need to be replaced, and the cost for buying a new sensor and dismounting and remounting the tires seems to be way too high for something that can be checked in 20 seconds with a hand tool.

Quick Reply: Can you add TPMS to your car?