Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed 82mm IPD Plenum and GT3 Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2018, 01:42 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Installed 82mm IPD Plenum and GT3 Throttle Body

This week I installed an IPD 82mm Plenum and GT3 Throttle Body Kit. The entire installation, including vacuuming the car afterwards took about 1.5 hours. I had a very minor issue which has been cured. This setup enlarges the intake system to 82mm from the 74mm that the Cayman S came with. I believe that this is one of the differences from the regular Carrera engine that the factory did to de-tune the engine a bit.

After installation, I took the car for an initial drive but did not really notice much difference except it seemed to rev quicker. The instructions state that it could take 50 miles for the computer to learn the new setup. After a 25 mile drive, when I came to a stop light, the engine revved by itself about 500 rpm and then settled. It did that at every light so I suspected that I might have a minor vacuum leak. The following morning, when I started the car it was running rough for the first two minutes and then went to normal. On my way to work, the check engine light came on - I figured this could be related to the vacuum leak.

Last night, I got lazy and didn't feel like working on it but I at least hooked up the car to my Duramax and the fault code said "Mass Air Flow Implausible". I'm not sure what that means but I took photos and a video of the live readout to show a friend (who is much smarter than me). I then reset the fault code and that was it for the evening.

This morning, I started the car and everything was normal. My 30 mile drive to work was amazing....the car felt like it gained 20 hp overnight. the car ran perfectly normal, no surging or rough running of any kind. The check engine light stayed off. The car has noticeably more pickup at lower rpms. I am definitely feeling like this was a worthwhile investment.

Unfortunately, I failed to take photos of the completed project (which I will do later) but below are a few progress photos.

Old 06-15-2018, 01:54 PM
bminingham
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

great to hear. Interesting that some people will claim this has no impact and others say they can really feel it. Do you also have or plan on getting a tune?
Old 06-15-2018, 02:40 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

I hadn't planned on doing any type of tune but my mind could change - I've only owned the car for a month.

So far, I purchased & installed Cayman R struts and springs, IPD Intake, touch screen stereo/navigation, and will be installing (this weekend) a FVD oil sump and baffle.

Next priority will be Cayman R/Spyder 19" wheels to replace my Carrera Sport Classic 19".
The following 2 users liked this post by Tidybuoy:
MXA121 (06-24-2021), starweb93 (12-02-2021)
Old 06-15-2018, 03:22 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Did the same on my '11CS along with a Cobb Tune (Stage 1) and did make a difference. As I had PDK (without Sport Mode) also, I did a Cobb flash too. No more 35mph/7th gear). Upshift at 2,800 rather than 1,800 rpm.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:59 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

This is a good thread for anyone wondering about “bang for buck” upgrades. I will say that, on my 9A1 2.7, I did this and was REALLY careful about the install b/c I was worried about having to take it all apart again to fix. I had 0 issues after (in terms of drive-ability, starting, idle, warning lights, etc.) and the car FELT faster....however, I did a total of 8 dyno pulls within a span of two weeks to coincide with before/after evaluation of changes and tunes (same tank of gas & dyno, nearly identical humidity/temp/time of day but I had done the calibration and drove 200 miles after plenum install), I was not focused on actual numbers but rather the DIFFERENCE. What I found is that my car made the most power with headers & a tune, negligible gains from plenum, so I put it back stock. Pretty similar to the findings in the link below. Might be different on different motors? That’s consistent with what others have found here as well. Anyway, that was MY experience, best of luck to you. -Dom

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-cayman-and-cayman-s-all-generations/1007515-flat-6-motorsports-project-981-cayman-build-thread.html

Old 06-15-2018, 04:02 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

I'm waiting for my unit to arrive. Can't wait to put it in.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:55 PM
4PTZERO
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
This is a good thread for anyone wondering about “bang for buck” upgrades. I will say that, on my 9A1 2.7, I did this and was REALLY careful about the install b/c I was worried about having to take it all apart again to fix. I had 0 issues after (in terms of drive-ability, starting, idle, warning lights, etc.) and the car FELT faster....however, I did a total of 8 dyno pulls within a span of two weeks to coincide with before/after evaluation of changes and tunes (same tank of gas & dyno, nearly identical humidity/temp/time of day but I had done the calibration and drove 200 miles after plenum install), I was not focused on actual numbers but rather the DIFFERENCE. What I found is that my car made the most power with headers & a tune, negligible gains from plenum, so I put it back stock. Pretty similar to the findings in the link below. Might be different on different motors? That’s consistent with what others have found here as well. Anyway, that was MY experience, best of luck to you. -Dom

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ld-thread.html

Agree, too many have come to the same conclusion.
Old 06-23-2018, 09:12 PM
tweej
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weight?

Also looks like it might add a pound or two at the top of the engine compartment. Anyone have exact numbers?
Old 06-24-2018, 08:57 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

It's been about two weeks since my install and I can say that there is a noticeable difference. The car has more low end power and if feels like it is in "sport mode" when it's in regular mode. The intake sound is a little bit louder as well.

As far as weight...I think the new setup is about 1/2 to 1lb lighter than stock. This is because the vacuum and butterfly flap on the stock plenum is fairly heavy.

My only complaint....the stock plenum has two large vacuum lines that connect to a "Y" connector at the air/oil separator. The IPD includes a plug for one of these lines. I wish they included a complete replacement that eliminated the "Y" and simply used one vacuum line. The stock plenum uses two vacuum ports because the inside of the plenum is split into two separate intake channels.

Below is my completed setup:
Old 07-04-2018, 02:02 AM
p27rpy
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really been curious about this uograde to give the Cayman a little more grunt off the line. May have just convinced me to go ahead and pull the trigger...thanks!
Old 07-04-2018, 02:58 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 566 Posts

The one thing that happens again and again with these plenums is that people who go by butt dyno feel a difference and those who use an actual dyno find basically no extra power or even negative horsepower.

In this case, we appear to be talking about a 981S which is air flow restricted by software. (it uses the MAP sensor for that but even so it looks at air flow and adjusts throttle angle to reach its target) Without a tune the car will simply not allow itself to take in more air so there is nothing to gain by making the throttle larger.
Old 07-06-2018, 01:40 AM
dmwray
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Dyno Gains

I cannot speak to plenum/TB mod alone, but did just do this mod and full SOUL street system which gained about 15-20hp to the wheels on DynoDynamics. What really finished the job was a custom Cobb tune. Took from Dyno at wheels of 270hp to 306.7hp and boosted torque 30ft/lbs (258 ft/lbs) on a 987.2 B Spyder.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:52 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Dom991.1

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ld-thread.html

I would not expect there to be much difference on a dyno for just the plenum and throttle body upgrade. Those parts help with airflow into the engine. On a dyno there is not a lot of air being forced through those parts, particularly not to the point that the additional airflow over stock will be utilized. I'd expect to note the difference when driving since there is air being forced in at that point.
Old 07-06-2018, 10:58 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Also, he has a 2.7L which will see less gains compare to 3.4L.
Old 07-06-2018, 11:53 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,504 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by Fined
I would not expect there to be much difference on a dyno for just the plenum and throttle body upgrade. Those parts help with airflow into the engine. On a dyno there is not a lot of air being forced through those parts, particularly not to the point that the additional airflow over stock will be utilized. I'd expect to note the difference when driving since there is air being forced in at that point.
Not really how it works. Ram air effect when moving is tiny/negligible. Engine is "sucking" air rather than being force fed and the stock throttle is having the same "issue" on a dyno. Making the hole a bit larger doesn't change the equation.

Quick Reply: Installed 82mm IPD Plenum and GT3 Throttle Body