Sponsored by: APR

Drove a 981 spyder - I get it

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2018, 12:19 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Default Drove a 981 spyder - I get it

I had a GT4. I didn't love it. Well, I loved the chassis feel and balance. I didn't love the motor. I think it was too close in my head to a GT3 of which is all motor and I missed the motor, it just wheezed out at about 6k, where a GT3 pulls and pulls and will happily pull past redline but thats where safety kicks in and forces a shift lol. Sold that car after 1k miles and 3mo.

I'm wanting a toy to keep at my 2nd office. Looked at a couple boxster S, nice, but didn't really do it for me.

Drove a Spyder yesterday. Just for a short bit, but it was enough. Very impressed. Chassis feels like the GT4. And, because it's a convertible / spyder in my mental thought process I'm not comparing it to the GT cars and well, it's quite good. And I really would like a convertible again in the garage.

And now I get why they are demanding strong $ even with higher miles and 987 versions.

going to look at 3 more today, all with sofa seats, with very low / base spec. will see if I drive home in one!
Old 06-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,242 Likes on 573 Posts

Ha! You have been BITTEN!

Interesting comments on your GT4. I swapped out for a drive with one for my 987 Spyder. Like you, I LIKED it but not enough to change out of the Spyder.

Good luck and keep us posted.

CheeRS
Old 06-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

There's a great community of Spyder owners in So Cal. Would love to add you to our ranks!

Good luck in your search. Reach out if you want or need more seat time before deciding. Always glad to share the Spyder driving experience with others. But once you get a taste, there's usually no going back!
Old 06-12-2018, 04:15 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Spyder equals the best kept secret in the car enthusiast world. Seriously it is the most underrated model in the Porsche lineup, it genuinely should rank equal in driving experience as the best of the air cooled and GT Porsches. Anyone who disagrees hasn’t spent enough time driving one briskly on twisty back roads.

Flamesuit on....
Old 06-12-2018, 10:08 PM
ispy981
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you see the one at Porsche Irvine? Looks like it price dropped to $89K.

www.porscheirvine.com/certified/Porsche/2016-Porsche-Boxster-99ae10f80a0d0c142a29421989d9d5c2.htm
Old 06-12-2018, 11:33 PM
Tergosa
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just looked up on cargurus and there’s 27 used ones for sale: https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used...#resultsPage=2
Thinking either summer is here and people can get the most for a convertible OR people expect the 718 Spyder to be NA with a lot more power??

Last edited by Tergosa; 06-12-2018 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-12-2018, 11:40 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

yeah, don't care for the red personally. looked at it yesterday. I LOVE red interiors, I have a car now with red/black. But the red dash I just didn't love.

Bought one today, low mile stripper / sofa seat, full leather, leather wheel/shifter, and a few other bits (which is what I wanted, low spec) at Hoehn. Super easy deal, and nice guys there (never been to the dealer) Just got it home.

Should a fun car for the summer.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:58 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tergosa
Just looked up on cargurus and there’s 27 used ones for sale . . . .
Thinking either summer is here and people can get the most for a convertible OR people expect the 718 Spyder to be NA with a lot more power??
No doubt, summer is the time to move this kind of car if you're going to do it so it's not hugely surprising to see more cars for sale at this time of year. Factor in that two years is about the normal amount of time those with automotive ADD chose to move on to something else and most/all Spyders are now two years or older. Plus, there were several here who insistently argued the 982 Spyder would be turbo and they created uncertainty in the minds of some 981 owners whether they should hold on to their NA cars, but now that those turbo assertions have been thoroughly debunked, some 981 owners are making moves to position themselves for the 982 Spyder and thus parting with their cars.
Old 06-13-2018, 12:00 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
Bought one today . . . . Just got it home. Should a fun car for the summer.
Well done! Congrats! Rhodium is sharp
Old 06-13-2018, 12:36 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
No doubt, summer is the time to move this kind of car if you're going to do it so it's not hugely surprising to see more cars for sale at this time of year. Factor in that two years is about the normal amount of time those with automotive ADD chose to move on to something else and most/all Spyders are now two years or older. Plus, there were several here who insistently argued the 982 Spyder would be turbo and they created uncertainty in the minds of some 981 owners whether they should hold on to their NA cars, but now that those turbo assertions have been thoroughly debunked, some 981 owners are making moves to position themselves for the 982 Spyder and thus parting with their cars.
keeping mine satisfied.
Old 06-13-2018, 10:08 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

I came close to selling mine and glad I waited until the weather got nicer before i made the decision; not a chance, now, unless it's due to incoming 718 spyder. I have stuff that is better at hitting certain nerves. But the 981 spyder s the best all-in-one fun car I've ever owned especially given the price. I also owned a gt4 and wasn't that in love with it. For some reason the character of that engine is much more at home in the drop-top street car concept. The gt4 always made me think, this is cool but it's not a gt3. That comparison doesn't exist in a spyder. Longer I have it, more I like it. I doubt I keep forever but again, I'll be in line for the 718 as soon as it's out.
Old 06-13-2018, 08:05 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
For some reason the character of that engine is much more at home in the drop-top street car concept. The gt4 always made me think, this is cool but it's not a gt3. That comparison doesn't exist in a spyder. Longer I have it, more I like it. I doubt I keep forever but again, I'll be in line for the 718 as soon as it's out.
Exactly! I've never been a latest and greatest person... if I can keep the space this one will be a keeper for a while.

Old 06-13-2018, 09:01 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Exactly! I've never been a latest and greatest person... if I can keep the space this one will be a keeper for a while.

Looks great. I like the Black Leather Interior in a Spyder. Congrats. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:20 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful car, enjoy! It's almost frustrating how good this car is. Every time I get the bug to look around, I cannot find a car that would interesting enough to replace it with, including the new 911's.
Only car I've owned that I routinely get stopped and asked questions about.
Old 06-13-2018, 09:26 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,613 Likes on 888 Posts

congrats!
looks awesome.

Quick Reply: Drove a 981 spyder - I get it