Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is a reasonable offer for this GTS

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 01:23 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by needaporsche
I went in to see the car a while ago. Lots of wear and tear on the car, windshield was cracked, wheels were damaged, swirls all over the car like its been run through gas station car wash, one of the side view mirrors has deep incisions and has been poorly painted over ...some other minor interior stuff as well. Whomever bought this car did not care for it at all. The dealership wouldn't negotiate the price and even guarantee fixing all the stuff. The guys was like, well this is wear and tear. They said they would fix the wheels and that's about it. My major concern is the previous owner did not seem to care for the car and drove almost 30k miles, dont want to overpay for something like that.
Don't know how they did a CPO with a cracked windshield.
With those issues, I'd pass and keep looking. There are many others out there.
Old 06-10-2018, 01:33 PM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim137a

That’s sad they someone would let a car get beat like that and it’s even sadder that a Porsche dealer would display a car like that. I guess that’s why it was priced below what I considered to be below where the market for CGTS’s currently is.

Good luck in your search, be picky and get what you want but when you find a clean example you need to pull the trigger right away.
Yup. And they seem to want to sell it like that which really surprised me. I don't know how it would pass a CPO inspection. The dealer specifically told me they completed the inspection and all the services.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:09 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Yup. And they seem to want to sell it like that which really surprised me. I don't know how it would pass a CPO inspection. The dealer specifically told me they completed the inspection and all the services.
I am not trying to make a blanket statement that all dealerships are bad, but let's just say as someone who is always passively shopping for cars and has been for a long time, rarely do Porsche dealerships have good deals when compared to the market. The CPO thing is a bonus, yes, because it gives you an extended warranty, but Porsche dealerships charge heavily for that. What's even worse is the arrogance that some of the salespeople display, as if questioning their prices or trying to negotiate is a faux pas and everyone should just expect to pay sticker because it is a Porsche.

Sorry to get off on a bit of a tangent/rant, but yes, if I were you I'd look elsewhere. You are almost certain to find your best deal on the private market (even here on Rennlist) because you can be more confident that you're buying from another enthusiast who would have taken care of the car. That, or find another manufacturer's dealership that has taken in a Porsche as a trade and just wants to move the unit. Good luck with your search.
Old 06-10-2018, 05:48 PM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by vbb
I am not trying to make a blanket statement that all dealerships are bad, but let's just say as someone who is always passively shopping for cars and has been for a long time, rarely do Porsche dealerships have good deals when compared to the market. The CPO thing is a bonus, yes, because it gives you an extended warranty, but Porsche dealerships charge heavily for that. What's even worse is the arrogance that some of the salespeople display, as if questioning their prices or trying to negotiate is a faux pas and everyone should just expect to pay sticker because it is a Porsche.

Sorry to get off on a bit of a tangent/rant, but yes, if I were you I'd look elsewhere. You are almost certain to find your best deal on the private market (even here on Rennlist) because you can be more confident that you're buying from another enthusiast who would have taken care of the car. That, or find another manufacturer's dealership that has taken in a Porsche as a trade and just wants to move the unit. Good luck with your search.
Yeah, my thing was that I wanted to test drive and see the car in person before I decide to buy it. So, I always look for something that I can drive to and usually those are dealerships or private dealerships who buy cars at auctions. If I don't find one soon, I might be ready to fly out to see cars next. I'd rather wait and buy oneI like.
Old 06-10-2018, 06:12 PM
HelpMeHelpU
Rennlist Member

Received 591 Likes on 375 Posts

Yeah, my thing was that I wanted to test drive and see the car in person before I decide to buy it. So, I always look for something that I can drive to and usually those are dealerships or private dealerships who buy cars at auctions. If I don't find one soon, I might be ready to fly out to see cars next. I'd rather wait and buy oneI like.
Why don't you post as much detail of the things and options that are most important to you and note which are must-haves and which are nice-to-haves. This way when people think about cars for you they won't send you an MT if you're interested only in PDK, for example.

BTW, I have a nice 2014 981 CS MT in Agate with Black interior with about 23k miles and original MSRP ~$90k. It's CPO for another year, too. There is a story with the car, but it's a good story. Let me know if you'd like to learn more.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:06 AM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

There are car lovers out there who baby their pcars "buy the seller, not the car". My 981 BGTS has never been wet, under 4K miles, garaged and covered … not for sale till my 2019? Spyder arrives. Keep looking, patience will be rewarded.
Old 06-11-2018, 11:57 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

I went in to see the car a while ago. Lots of wear and tear on the car, windshield was cracked, wheels were damaged, swirls all over the car like its been run through gas station car wash, one of the side view mirrors has deep incisions and has been poorly painted over ...some other minor interior stuff as well. Whomever bought this car did not care for it at all. The dealership wouldn't negotiate the price and even guarantee fixing all the stuff. The guys was like, well this is wear and tear. They said they would fix the wheels and that's about it. My major concern is the previous owner did not seem to care for the car and drove almost 30k miles, dont want to overpay for something like that.
That's unfortunate... but I still wouldn't let that be a dealbreaker. "Not caring for the car" and "not impeccably maintaining the car's fit and finish" are two entirely different things. Expecting to find a used car with significant miles on a dealer lot and no swirl marks is actually pretty naive. I think it's safe to say that even among Porsche owners, it takes a true obsessive personality to perfectly maintain a car's finish... and these types of cars probably rarely end up on dealer lots. Also, wwirl marks could have easily been introduced during the car's time on the dealer lot, all it would take is one ****ty wash, even by hand... and also, they can be easily corrected. Probably most of the other cosmetic and interior stuff too but you're not being specific.

I could go on, but long story short, it is not guaranteed that "waiting for the right one" will actually yield the right one with these cars. Inventories are low, and owners seem to be holding on to them.

I will also add that carmine red is an amazing color and for me, was on the short list (the other being Carrara White, which is far more common and what I ended up with). If that's a color you want, I'll go ahead and warn you not to expect another one to pop up. Of course it could, but I wouldn't count on it within a reasonable timeline or relative proximity to your location.

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Don't know how they did a CPO with a cracked windshield.
With those issues, I'd pass and keep looking. There are many others out there.
I've already addressed that "many others out there" isn't necessarily the case for these cars... but as for the CPO, my guess is that it was CPO'd prior to it going up for sale by this dealer. That's what happened with my car, and how I ended up buying it with Kumho ecstas on it (but hey, they're new! [and yes, they kind of suck]). It happens... but I also got mine for $59k (original MSRP $93k), and it has no other issues so there's that.

So for the OP's original question, this car is priced reasonably but there is room to negotiate. Don't expect the negotiation to go well though. My expectation is they'll drop it by a grand... maybe not if they truly are the ones who made the investment in the CPO (but yeah the windshield should have been repaired if that's the case). Just like folks on here are advising you to move on, the dealer is aware that someone will eventually buy the car. You may be financially motivated to drop the price, but they're even more financially motivated to keep their margins because it is their actual source of income.

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
There are car lovers out there who baby their pcars "buy the seller, not the car". My 981 BGTS has never been wet, under 4K miles, garaged and covered … not for sale till my 2019? Spyder arrives. Keep looking, patience will be rewarded.
I've noticed your car before on these boards, and you are among the top 1% of owners. You can't expect your average buyer to wait around until cars like yours go up for sale...and my guess is you won't be asking $71k for yours either. At least you shouldn't.
Old 06-11-2018, 09:37 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I've noticed your car before on these boards, and you are among the top 1% of owners. You can't expect your average buyer to wait around until cars like yours go up for sale...and my guess is you won't be asking $71k for yours either. At least you shouldn't.
Thanks, I won't. Am picky, guess that's why I buy new optioned how I want ... PCCBs and PTS next time, no regrets, LOL. Once my Spyder is built will offer my car on rennlist after I know the hard dollar value from Carmax / the dealer. Till then I'm driving my lovely wife around the lake a couple times a month and enjoying it immensely. The dealer getting my car is a negotiating point, but I would rather put a few K in my pocket than theirs and give a fair deal on a great car. At least I think it's a great car, best I have ever owned.

OP, good luck with your search, be picky, you'll be happier.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:29 AM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpU
Why don't you post as much detail of the things and options that are most important to you and note which are must-haves and which are nice-to-haves. This way when people think about cars for you they won't send you an MT if you're interested only in PDK, for example.

BTW, I have a nice 2014 981 CS MT in Agate with Black interior with about 23k miles and original MSRP ~$90k. It's CPO for another year, too. There is a story with the car, but it's a good story. Let me know if you'd like to learn more.

Yeah, maybe I will start a new thread with what I am looking for.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:31 AM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
Thanks, I won't. Am picky, guess that's why I buy new optioned how I want ... PCCBs and PTS next time, no regrets, LOL. Once my Spyder is built will offer my car on rennlist after I know the hard dollar value from Carmax / the dealer. Till then I'm driving my lovely wife around the lake a couple times a month and enjoying it immensely. The dealer getting my car is a negotiating point, but I would rather put a few K in my pocket than theirs and give a fair deal on a great car. At least I think it's a great car, best I have ever owned.

OP, good luck with your search, be picky, you'll be happier.
Ha, ping me when you put yours on sale if you have PDK (Sorry, wife wants to drive too )
Old 06-12-2018, 11:39 AM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by manifold danger
That's unfortunate... but I still wouldn't let that be a dealbreaker. "Not caring for the car" and "not impeccably maintaining the car's fit and finish" are two entirely different things. Expecting to find a used car with significant miles on a dealer lot and no swirl marks is actually pretty naive. I think it's safe to say that even among Porsche owners, it takes a true obsessive personality to perfectly maintain a car's finish... and these types of cars probably rarely end up on dealer lots. Also, wwirl marks could have easily been introduced during the car's time on the dealer lot, all it would take is one ****ty wash, even by hand... and also, they can be easily corrected. Probably most of the other cosmetic and interior stuff too but you're not being specific.

I could go on, but long story short, it is not guaranteed that "waiting for the right one" will actually yield the right one with these cars. Inventories are low, and owners seem to be holding on to them.
I agree with you. I know cosmetic maintenance is a completely different ball game than standard maintenance. I can get the swirls out myself and coat the car, but the dealer not fixing major cosmetic damage is what ticked me off. I wish I took pictures of the damage to be able to show what I am talking about. But, again you are kinda right .....
Old 06-12-2018, 12:06 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 137 Posts

Early this year I bought a Cayman R and needed to sell my 2015 Cayman GTS to free up the funds. I sold it to a non-Porsche dealer that I have a good relationship with who now has it for sale for $66K. My car is apparently not moving at that price even though it is, unlike this car, mint. Sapphire Blue, 6sp, nice interior trim, and 12K miles. Granted, I didn't load it up on options when I got it, out the door it was about $78K.

I don't really get it, the GTS is a fantastic model, and I hated selling mine but couldn't pass up getting a perfect Cayman R.
Old 06-12-2018, 04:09 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

I agree with you. I know cosmetic maintenance is a completely different ball game than standard maintenance. I can get the swirls out myself and coat the car, but the dealer not fixing major cosmetic damage is what ticked me off. I wish I took pictures of the damage to be able to show what I am talking about. But, again you are kinda right .....
They're probably just hoping someone will come along and either not notice it or deal with it... I still don't quite get the thresholds some dealers have for snobbing off seriously interested buyers. But I think you mentioned something with the mirror... I was thinking about that earlier today, actually when I backed my car out of my garage. I've nailed my mirror a few times doing that (fortunately not on this car *knocks on wood*) and once on an Evoque that I had, broke the **** out of the mirror. I still blame it on my wife's parking, but ultimately it cost me $800 to fix, including paint.

That would at least explain why the mirror was jacked up without implying the car was abused... but also the dealer dropping the cost onto you is cheap. For that I would insist they either take care of it or drop the price. If you really liked the car I'd go so far as to get a quote from a body shop.
Old 06-12-2018, 06:06 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Wish I saw this thread earlier, could have saved you some time. I went to go see that car about 3-4 weeks ago. I walked away for the same reasons you did. I agree with your assessment that it was very beat up. I noticed a lot of really weird stuff, like clear bra on the roof and side mirrors but no longer on the front bumper, hood or fenders. Not 100% sure about this but at some point early in its life I think the car had an incident up front. The front bumper didn't quite fit 100% as the gap with the fender on the passenger side was slightly larger than the driver's side and it was missing the clear bra that was found on other parts of the car. The headlights also had cracking all around the edges. And yes there is a small crack in the top of the windshield that wasn't visible in the pictures. The tow hook cover that was missing in the pictures was taken from a GT4 in show room, lol.

I am so glad I am local to this car because I am willing to travel and if I made a long trip to see this I would have been very upset. I wish they'd be more up front about the condition because it was a waste of time going to see it.

It is very well optioned, almost perfect really but it had a ton of cosmetic issues and who knows what else wrong with it and that is why it hasn't sold. At the right price I think it is a good project for someone to clean up but for the money they're asking its just easier to keep looking instead of dealing with that mess.
Old 06-12-2018, 10:01 PM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Wish I saw this thread earlier, could have saved you some time. I went to go see that car about 3-4 weeks ago. I walked away for the same reasons you did. I agree with your assessment that it was very beat up. I noticed a lot of really weird stuff, like clear bra on the roof and side mirrors but no longer on the front bumper, hood or fenders. Not 100% sure about this but at some point early in its life I think the car had an incident up front. The front bumper didn't quite fit 100% as the gap with the fender on the passenger side was slightly larger than the driver's side and it was missing the clear bra that was found on other parts of the car. The headlights also had cracking all around the edges. And yes there is a small crack in the top of the windshield that wasn't visible in the pictures. The tow hook cover that was missing in the pictures was taken from a GT4 in show room, lol.

I am so glad I am local to this car because I am willing to travel and if I made a long trip to see this I would have been very upset. I wish they'd be more up front about the condition because it was a waste of time going to see it.

It is very well optioned, almost perfect really but it had a ton of cosmetic issues and who knows what else wrong with it and that is why it hasn't sold. At the right price I think it is a good project for someone to clean up but for the money they're asking its just easier to keep looking instead of dealing with that mess.

I am glad to have someone else who has looked at this car chime in and agree. I didn’t notice the bumper but yeah the clear bra was missing in some places and something was really off with it. I asked the dealer if they were going to fix it and the guy was like “this is all wear and tear”. They couldn’t even tell me if the car was a cpo or not - first they tell me it was as is and then they came back and said it was CPO.

By the way, if you were going to see the cayman s at nearby at M Sport motors, let me save you some time and tell you that car has some weirdness going on too. It’s has chewed up leather on the steering, hole in the driver seat and really poor paint touch up on the exterior. Literally like a kid painted it over with a brush .... I have pictures

Quick Reply: What is a reasonable offer for this GTS