Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 - TPMS is not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 03:34 AM
604IS350
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 987.2 - TPMS is not working

I just got new TPMS sensors installed and the display still shows "TPMS Inactive". I've tried the relearning process where I've selected TPMS->Summer Tires and have driven over an hour but nothing has changed. According to the manual, it's supposed to display "System Learning" but I don't see that message anywhere. Does anyone have an ideas?
Old 06-08-2018, 08:06 AM
dsrufer
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For my '11 Cayman S, I perform the following: TPM => Set => Summer Tyres => Continue => 18 Inch => Continue => Process Complete => TPM is Learning - Monitoring not Active => Tyre Pressure Monitoring => then I allow maybe 3-5 minutes just sitting idle followed by driving around the neighborhood at about 15-20 MPH. I change between street tire and track frequently and the above process always works.

Best wishes with your TPMS.

Dan
Old 06-08-2018, 08:09 AM
dsrufer
Advanced

P.S. This worked with the new TPMS I purchased with my new track wheels.
Old 06-08-2018, 12:10 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

The other possibility is you got the wrong frequency sensors.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:07 PM
604IS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by dsrufer
For my '11 Cayman S, I perform the following: TPM => Set => Summer Tyres => Continue => 18 Inch => Continue => Process Complete => TPM is Learning - Monitoring not Active => Tyre Pressure Monitoring => then I allow maybe 3-5 minutes just sitting idle followed by driving around the neighborhood at about 15-20 MPH. I change between street tire and track frequently and the above process always works.

Best wishes with your TPMS.

Dan
Thanks for the info . Yes I would expect it to be very straightforward like what you’ve described . I have a Cayman R with stock 19” wheels . After selecting Summer Tires , I just see the continue option with no selection for the tire size . After continue, it just goes back to the main menu . I might need to bring it in to the dealer to see if the sensor or other electronic parts needs replacing .
Old 06-08-2018, 01:55 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I understand correctly, there are generic sensors and Porsche OEM sensors that are significantly more expensive. I went OEM to avoid any issues and just "paid up". No problems. Dr. Bill is also correct re: frequencies. The wheels I purchased from another R'lister had sensors but the tire shop scanned them and said they were for a earlier Cayman than what I had, so...........
Old 06-08-2018, 02:02 PM
604IS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
If I understand correctly, there are generic sensors and Porsche OEM sensors that are significantly more expensive. I went OEM to avoid any issues and just "paid up". No problems. Dr. Bill is also correct re: frequencies. The wheels I purchased from another R'lister had sensors but the tire shop scanned them and said they were for a earlier Cayman than what I had, so...........
That's a good point. Thanks ! I'll look into that as well.
Old 06-11-2018, 02:07 AM
sailorjohn
3rd Gear

Default Try HUF

Won’t go into the details about the terrible experience I had with Discount Tire but after catching my breath when I found out how much the sensors with the word ‘Porsche’ printed on the side were, did a little research and found a place called TPMS direct that sells o.e. sensors with the only differences being that they don’t come in a Porsche box and they don’t have Porsche printed on them. About half the price as the Porsche store, haven’t had an issue with them, been on the car for almost 4 years now.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:45 PM
badabing
Three Wheelin'

Received 84 Likes on 66 Posts

OP, where did you get the sensors ?
Old 06-22-2018, 10:34 PM
brur
Advanced

I just had Discount tire mount new tires on some aftermarket wheels. I had ordered tmps form tmps.com but they never responded to any of my emails and gave me no idea when I might see the sensors.
So I got the Discount tire sensors. And it wasn't all good from the start. The installers had not programmed the sensors. When I went back all they had to do was hold a gizmo next to the tire and it fixed the problem.
Whatever you might not like about Discount Tire I enjoy watching the young guys there RUNNING from place to place. It means those kids are learning about the overhead cost of running a business.
And now I have a speedo without a tire icon lit on it.
Old 06-23-2018, 06:57 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Porsche changed the TPMS frequency, so be careful on what you use. I purchased a set of summer wheels with OEM sensors for my 16 Cayenne that were from a 12 Cayenne. The TPMS system did not recognize them. A little bit of searching showed Porsche change the TPMS frequency sometime in 2015 on the Cayenne. Not sure about other models. I ordered a set from TPMS.com with the correct frequency, and they work fine.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:57 PM
604IS350
Intermediate

Quick update:

Thanks for the input. I got the TPMS sensors from the Porsche dealership. I was about to take it back to the dealership to have it looked at but it finally registered after driving 150 kms. I'm not sure exactly what went wrong but it seems like it took quite a while for the TPMS sensors to be recognized. I'll get them from tpms.com next time since they're much cheaper.
Old 06-22-2022, 05:58 PM
bxstrCA
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

This car (2008 987) is taxing my patience (the heat doesn't help either). Put 4 new Huf TPMS (pre-programmed by Huf, 'just plug and play') monitors. Changed the tire type and the wheel size type to 'process complete' ... idled in the driveway for 5-10 minutes then went for a slow drive through the neighbourhoods (20-30 min), TPC Inactive. Let out some air, overinflated the tires and redid the setup process to 'process complete' - went for a 45 minute drive at faster speed, TPC Inactive. I give up. If I scroll to the tire pressure sub menu, it shows the same two tires (passenger side) and blanks for the drivers side. If I access from the main menu, it displays the schematics with no readouts from any of the tires. The module dying can't be a high percentage occurance ... Any thoughts?

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (05-06-2023)

Quick Reply: 987.2 - TPMS is not working