Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New BMW Z4 M40i - Serious Boxster Challenger?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 12:09 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

BMW prices becoming outrageous for over- blown grocery getters. At least when you spend on a Porsche you can order with 3 pedals and some nice options if you choose. And if you don't use as a DD you've got a fighting chance at some good value retention. BMW? Tie some concrete blocks around it. In 4 yrs it's worth what they'll pay at the scrap heap.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:13 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
The paint is incredible as well. Must be hard as a rock (or whatever you say about good paint). Never once had to touch it with a cutting or polishing compound. Just clay it once a year and keep up with a paint sealant and spray wax after washes.
Sorry the detailer in me has to ask....you clay your car and don’t follow that up with a polish? Wow.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:57 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by 850tgul
Sorry the detailer in me has to ask....you clay your car and don’t follow that up with a polish? Wow.
No need with the Mineral Grey on my 4GC. The clear coat is either hard as a rock and doesn't scratch or the paint just hides it incredibly well.

This is my procedure for the 4GC:

Strip wash
Blow off
Clay
Strip wash
Dry with blower and microfiber towel
Apply Menzerna Power Lock+ with DA polisher and black pad
Buff off with microfiber towels
Apply and buff off Zymol Glasur Glaze (not necessary, but I have it so I use it every now and then)

For light maintenance washes I'll use Meguiars Gold Class and hit it with some Griot's Spray On Wax after drying. For a little heavier maintenance washes I use Chemical Guys Mr Pink in a foam cannon and follow it up with Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish, and sometimes Griot's Spray On Wax after that.

Probably helps that my cars are garaged at home and at work. The paint on the BMW is simply amazing. Still looks new even under direct sunlight. The Porsche is a different animal. Just looking at it causes swirls. Pain in the *** to keep up. I bought mine CPO and the first owner used it as a commuter car in the desert. Too much sandblasting by the time I got it to make PPF worth it. My next Porsche will go directly to paint correction, then PPF, then ceramic. I'll maintain the heck out of it from there.

Let me ask you this...

When I finish with my 4GC and Miata they are smooth as glass and super slippery. Cracks me up to watch my wife go to shut the door afterwards and her hand slides right off. The Boxster is different. It doesn't get that slippery feeling. It's smooth as glass, but not slippery. Any idea why? Only thing I can figure is the doors on the Boxster are aluminum, so maybe the difference in materials is the cause.

Any tips, tricks, or suggestions you might have regarding detailing would be appreciated. Always like learning and trying something new.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:34 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 298 Posts

No need with the Mineral Grey on my 4GC. The clear coat is either hard as a rock and doesn't scratch or the paint just hides it incredibly well.

This is my procedure for the 4GC:

Strip wash
Blow off
Clay
Strip wash
Dry with blower and microfiber towel
Apply Menzerna Power Lock+ with DA polisher and black pad
Buff off with microfiber towels
Apply and buff off Zymol Glasur Glaze (not necessary, but I have it so I use it every now and then)

For light maintenance washes I'll use Meguiars Gold Class and hit it with some Griot's Spray On Wax after drying. For a little heavier maintenance washes I use Chemical Guys Mr Pink in a foam cannon and follow it up with Meguiar's Ultimate Fast Finish, and sometimes Griot's Spray On Wax after that.

Probably helps that my cars are garaged at home and at work. The paint on the BMW is simply amazing. Still looks new even under direct sunlight. The Porsche is a different animal. Just looking at it causes swirls. Pain in the *** to keep up. I bought mine CPO and the first owner used it as a commuter car in the desert. Too much sandblasting by the time I got it to make PPF worth it. My next Porsche will go directly to paint correction, then PPF, then ceramic. I'll maintain the heck out of it from there.

Let me ask you this...

When I finish with my 4GC and Miata they are smooth as glass and super slippery. Cracks me up to watch my wife go to shut the door afterwards and her hand slides right off. The Boxster is different. It doesn't get that slippery feeling. It's smooth as glass, but not slippery. Any idea why? Only thing I can figure is the doors on the Boxster are aluminum, so maybe the difference in materials is the cause.

Any tips, tricks, or suggestions you might have regarding detailing would be appreciated. Always like learning and trying something new.
I have just never clayed a car and not had to polish away the inevitable scratches that occur from that process. I am with you on Porsche paint, not great. I have had a few BMWs over the years and it is harder for sure. Terrible orange peel however.
Old 09-19-2018, 04:15 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I was also surprised that claying isn’t leaving swirls and marring behind. I’m betting the scratches are there but the color does a great job at hiding it as noted. I’ve noticed that Pearl White is also great at hiding swirls and scratches. I’m sure the same couldn’t be said for black BMW paint, I would bet money it would show all the swirls by now.
Old 09-20-2018, 09:11 AM
alvitdk
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
That'll be a praise. I find the fit & finish on current BMW to be a grade below Audi, on par with VW.
Indeed. Was a proud owner of a 128i convertible for 4 Years and could not wait to get rid of it. Never ever I had a car with more issues, my wife kept making fun of me for driving it less that it's in the shop, and her lexus run and run without getting tired once in 3 years, other than regular maintenance. In the meantime I had:

2x new top
1x new transmission
1x new dashboard complete
1x new driver seat
several electronic issues, alarms and dead batteries.

the killer was the service lady telling me after the warranty was expired, I should be happy, as I have now a almost new car.....traded it next day for a lexus IS350F Sport and told myself never to buy another german car.....and I'm German!!! Well that lasted only another 3 Years and Porsche to change ;-)
Old 09-20-2018, 11:14 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Compared to Boxster:

1) Not mid-engine
2) Only 1 trunk
3) Dimension between driver's seat and front axle is way too long, weird long-hood proportions
4) Heavier
5) Overall styling is not as appealing
Old 09-20-2018, 11:33 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
3) Dimension between driver's seat and front axle is way too long, weird long-hood proportions
Inline 6 engines are quite long.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:34 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okie981
Compared to Boxster:

1) Not mid-engine
2) Only 1 trunk
4) Heavier
5) Overall styling is not as appealing
Agreed on all points. Some people might cross shop them, but I can't say they are comparable.

That being said, Sport Auto looked like they had a blast taking it around the Ring. A 7:55 lap time is about 8 seconds behind a 718 Cayman S. So folks will dog it for being that much slower than the 718. But keep this in mind... our beloved 981 S and Cayman R? Yeah, the new Z4 is 10 seconds faster around the Ring than the former and 15 seconds faster than the latter. That is damn impressive.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:44 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ekam
Inline 6 engines are quite long.
True, but the hood and front of the car are longer for styling also. And even more reason why boxer flat 6 is superior for 2-seater sports car, IMO. Lower CG and shorter engine with boxer.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:48 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Agreed on all points. Some people might cross shop them, but I can't say they are comparable.

That being said, Sport Auto looked like they had a blast taking it around the Ring. A 7:55 lap time is about 8 seconds behind a 718 Cayman S. So folks will dog it for being that much slower than the 718. But keep this in mind... our beloved 981 S and Cayman R? Yeah, the new Z4 is 10 seconds faster around the Ring than the former and 15 seconds faster than the latter. That is damn impressive.
There will always be a faster car with more horsepower, better suspension, better handling, taste better, less filling. One just has to find a car they like and love driving it. When you find another you like better, get it and love it too. These are not women for marrying that require expensive and painful divorces to move on.
Old 09-21-2018, 02:46 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Beautiful car, the new Z4, no doubt. Love the styling and BMW interiors are just gorgeous. For me, it all depends on ones' needs in the end.

Boxster challenger? Not sure about that. Quite different animals really. Both open top sports cars, but the comparison seems to end there pretty quickly.

For me, the ability to haul 2 people, loaded with two 22-inch roll-aboard suitcases, and still fit all my tournament fencing gear (5 weapons, shoes, mask, uniform, folding chair, tools, etc.), still have room for wine and cheese... And this applies with the top up or down. Just a marvel of engineering packaging.

Grateful to be driving a car Porsche designed from the ground up as a super practical convertible. It has proven to exceed my real-world usability expectations.

Like I say, quite different animals. One should be so lucky as to have to choose between them, right?
Old 09-21-2018, 03:47 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
One should be so lucky as to have to choose between them, right?
And the Miata, too!
Old 09-22-2018, 05:13 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
http://www.motortrend.com/news/2019-bmw-z4-m40i-prototype-review/?wc_mid=4035:12276&wc_rid=4035:29075956&_wcsid=7CC8A9E721FFB4C944A2F56AA F61793914208D6E23F39725

Key takeaways:
  • 382 hp
  • 3,400 lbs. (yes, it's 100 lbs. lighter than the previous gen Z4, but the weight savings is far from impressive considering the prior car had a retractable hardtop)
  • No MT from what I can tell - 8 speed auto only
  • Little carry-over from the very cool concept shown at Pebble Beach - watered down styling
  • Priced in the high $60's to start
  • Nearly the size of an MB SL apparently
  • On sale next spring
Sum up: I don't think Porsche is quivering in its boots. The Boxster will remain unparalleled in this segment. Mid-engine + light weight is a tough act for the competition to follow. The Boxster, in any of its configurations, is such a special car.
In short, no. I am sure you'll have some people cross shopping them though. Boxster is going to be more of a driver's car... Z4 will just be for people who want a 'vert sports car but don't actually care that much about the driving dynamics (and can't afford/don't value an SL).
Old 09-23-2018, 02:10 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,502 Likes on 565 Posts

The track is faster in 2018 and tires are a little better, too. I'm not a pro and I did a 7:57 "sport auto" lap in my GTS in hot weather with a tiny bit more power and camber on cup 2's that had been heatcycled well past their prime. Comparing old times isn't very fair on the older cars I think.

Quick Reply: New BMW Z4 M40i - Serious Boxster Challenger?