Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this 987.1 Cayman S or not?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 05:09 PM
MerlinRS
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Should I buy this 987.1 Cayman S or not?

Hi

Looked at this one:
https://www.autoscout24.ch/de/d/porsche-cayman-coupe-2008-occasion?vehid=5757497&eh=58a98e52b741933c64c8050d0cc347b37c67f6e775eb59 904e198c9886b5aa86&utm_source=as24-systemmail&utm_medium=email&utm_term=vehicle&utm_content=de&utm_campaign =SearchJobNotification

Negotiated it down to CHF 23'000, PPI would be next if I pursue. I'm worried about the condition of the car, especially the corrosion. What do you think?

Old 06-04-2018, 07:00 PM
Tidybuoy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can afford to spend a little bit more, I would consider that you continue looking. I just bought a 2006 Cayman S for $31,500 which I thought was too expensive but the fact that the car was in mint condition with 23k miles on it made it worth it to me. When I look at your photos with chips in the paint, rusty bolts, and corosion on the wheels, I compare to my situation and I believe it would cost more to fix those items than the premium price I paid. In addition, there may be issues that you haven't noticed. It looks to me like that car spent time at the coast or somewhere where rust occurs easily.

Just my $0.02
Old 06-05-2018, 12:29 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I have no idea what the market is for them there, but based on the pictures, this is a pretty heavily worn example.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:54 AM
MerlinRS
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thank you guys, I will continue to look! Takes forever to find a good one but it will surely pay off
Old 06-05-2018, 08:03 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
I have no idea what the market is for them there, but based on the pictures, this is a pretty heavily worn example.
But also considers the context that in Europe, a lot of people don't drive, and if they do is a little 3-door hatch. Switzerland is one of the most expensive countries in Europe and any used Cayman is rare to find compare to North America.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:59 AM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

In the US where these cars are easy to find, this would be a hard sell in its condition. The car has 78,000 miles (had to convert) and priced at about 23,000 USD. For a car in good shape a fair price in the US might be 27K or so. Given the climate, I don't know what the roads and weather do to cars there. If surface corrosion on the undercarriage and paint/wheel chips are part of the environment, then the car might be worthwhile with a good PPI and service records. Most of the flaws pictured can be remedied with some serious detailing and touchups. If this is not typical wear, the I would be concerned about the level of maintenance on the car and would pass.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:59 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by ekam
But also considers the context that in Europe, a lot of people don't drive, and if they do is a little 3-door hatch. Switzerland is one of the most expensive countries in Europe and any used Cayman is rare to find compare to North America.
Yep, like I said I don't know the market, but would shy away from this in the US.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:14 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Looks to me like the prior owner drove the car the way it was intended to be driven. Kudos to the prior owner, he/she is much tougher than me. I am too much of a wuss to let my Cayman get wet or dirty.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:37 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom R.
Looks to me like the prior owner drove the car the way it was intended to be driven. Kudos to the prior owner, he/she is much tougher than me. I am too much of a wuss to let my Cayman get wet or dirty.
Drove it that way, maybe, but did not care for it to compensate. Looks like some winter (salty) miles. That requires some serious cleaning.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:21 AM
Jaycote
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Do they have service records to go along with the vehicle? Was the oil changed diligently every 5K or so miles? While I agree that the car has been "driven", and look at that as a positive sign, I also have a thought that maybe this person just drove it and did not think about maintenance. Some of the issues you point out would not be on a car that's owned by an enthusiast. Rusty lug nuts? An enthusiast would purchase new ones, or paint the current ones. I'd be willing to bet that there's a maintenance backlog that has to be completed. However, if the maintenance is up to date, and oil changes were done within a timely interval. don't worry about the cosmetics and just enjoy the car.
Old 06-08-2018, 01:08 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,368 Likes on 792 Posts

Unless you are one of those guys that need a pristine car, this looks fine to me. As long as it was maintained, the dirt and little surface rust is no biggie. The bulk of that will easily clean up and then you'll have a great car.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:03 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

The cosmetic flaws in the pics are not expensive to deal with.

I would not dismiss the car and get a PPI. If that reveals no issues, then you have an example that can be enjoyed with peace of mind. And if the cosmetics bother you, get them taken care of.

This car was possibly enjoyed in winter weather, leading to the surface rust.
Old 06-10-2018, 07:17 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 97 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaycote
Do they have service records to go along with the vehicle? Was the oil changed diligently every 5K or so miles? While I agree that the car has been "driven", and look at that as a positive sign, I also have a thought that maybe this person just drove it and did not think about maintenance. Some of the issues you point out would not be on a car that's owned by an enthusiast. Rusty lug nuts? An enthusiast would purchase new ones, or paint the current ones. I'd be willing to bet that there's a maintenance backlog that has to be completed. However, if the maintenance is up to date, and oil changes were done within a timely interval. don't worry about the cosmetics and just enjoy the car.
Thanks. For the last forty something years I thought I was an enthusiast. I guess I was wrong because I never looked for rust on a Porsche lug nut.

Wait, does a Cayman have lug nuts? An real enthusiast would know that.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this 987.1 Cayman S or not?