Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

2011 Spyder - new Tires!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 06:38 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 993997
Thank you all. I just had the SuperSports drop shipped to suncoast porsxhe today... big question for the experts...

Shop tech mentioning to me that the rear tires on my PSS are for Mercedes and the fronts are for Ford. I realize this was listed on my TireRack order but just wanted to make sure they’re aren’t any other ratings or variations for the 987 Spyder that I should be concerned about????
Strange they would say that, but like many tires the PSS come in a bunch of different sizes (https://www.michelinman.com/tire/mic...ot-super-sport) that are likely to fit all kinds of cars from Ford to Mercedes. AFAIK they are all the same (not different speed ratings if that is what you are asking).
Old 06-05-2018, 01:17 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

Yep , it was the same for me . Not worth worrying about in my opinion .
Old 07-06-2018, 12:28 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Just an update as I have put about 3,400 miles on the new Super Sports and they are amazing! Thank you all again for your help and advice with them
Old 07-06-2018, 12:53 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
Strange they would say that, but like many tires the PSS come in a bunch of different sizes (https://www.michelinman.com/tire/mic...ot-super-sport) that are likely to fit all kinds of cars from Ford to Mercedes. AFAIK they are all the same (not different speed ratings if that is what you are asking).
Yeah, Michelin will be out of business tomorrow if they only make tires for Porsche. lol.
Old 07-07-2018, 01:48 AM
Michael Harley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 993997
Thank you all. I just had the SuperSports drop shipped to suncoast porsxhe today... big question for the experts...

Shop tech mentioning to me that the rear tires on my PSS are for Mercedes and the fronts are for Ford. I realize this was listed on my TireRack order but just wanted to make sure they’re aren’t any other ratings or variations for the 987 Spyder that I should be concerned about????
Nothing to worry about. I just put four Cup 2s on my Spyder, and I had the same issue. Spoke to a top engineer at Porsche who said that because that tire (Cup 2) didn't exist in '11-12, Porsche never certified it (aka "NO" or "N1" rating). It's the identical story with the other "modern" rubber that wasn't on the market five years ago.

Enjoy!

- Mike

Quick Reply: 2011 Spyder - new Tires!!