Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2007 Boxter S- Conversion to HID Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 02:26 PM
jamsit
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Boxter S- Conversion to HID Headlights

... purchased a Morimoto HID conversion kit for my 2007 Porsche 987 Boxter S ... prepared both headlights for additional cables , but now have major problem ... none of the installation guides, including the 'Porsche 101 Projects' Motorbook, nor YouTube videos, ever discussed HOW TO ROUTE the New Wiring from the headlight cavity to the front trunk !!! ... The cavity is essentially a steel enclosure with no visible path to the trunk I can't believe I'm the first to run into this problem ... serious HELP REQUIRED ! TX
Old 05-24-2018, 06:40 PM
flat6ix
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why do you need to route wiring to the frunk, for the ballasts? From what I recall when I did this on a 987 the ballast was small enough to fit on the inside of the lid where the bulb is located, keeps all the wiring internal to the headlight unit and safest in terms of exposure to outside elements/moisture.

If you really need to route externally otherwise, can you use the hole where you insert the headlight removal tool to slide out the headlight from the bracket/rail it slides on...not sure if there'd be enough space though or if it would interfere with the proper seating of the headlight on the bracket/rails though
Old 05-25-2018, 04:08 PM
jamsit
AutoX

... tx for the quick reply ... but still need to run OEM cable from trunk mounted relay to internal headlight OEM connector, & headlight ballast cable to relay in trunk ... Tx
Old 05-25-2018, 05:44 PM
flat6ix
Rennlist Member

Can't really help much as I didn't use relay and didn't need one, found a couple pics of my install if it helps, not sure how big the relays are but still think that with the way the Porsche headlights are designed it's best to try to keep all the wiring contained within the headlight else you probably have to try and find a way to route wiring where the male/female connector meets inside the fender.

Old 05-25-2018, 05:56 PM
flat6ix
Rennlist Member

Btw what's difference between the relays and the standalone canbus harness, do the relays need to be grounded and one end connected to battery? I do recall reading on some past threads folks used standalone canbus harness, seems like that would still work as self contained wiring unit without needing to mount anything in the frunk. You can also try reaching out to TRS they might be able to help.
Old 07-06-2018, 02:18 PM
jamsit
AutoX

... tx for all the info ...

Quick Reply: 2007 Boxter S- Conversion to HID Headlights