Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulled a nail out of tire, apparently no leak. Replace or not?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2018, 01:26 AM
Dazugus
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulled a nail out of tire, apparently no leak. Replace or not?

While changing the brake fluid in my 981 Spyder today I found a nail embedded in the rear driver side tire. No idea how long it's been there. I removed it and tested for leak with soap water and there was no air bubble, even while pumping air into the tire. Tire pressure held up during a 30 minute test drive. The nail is a little over 3/4 inch long but because it was embedded at an angle I would say it penetrated about 1/2 inch, in the thick part of the tire. The width of the nail is a little under 1/8 inch. Tire is P Zero and has about 4700 miles, all street driving.

Should I replace it now or is it likely to remain good until say 10k miles if it isn't leaking now?
Old 05-20-2018, 07:51 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

It appears the nail didn’t penetrate the inner carcass. I’d keep a close eye on the cold pressure, but you will probably be fine.
Old 05-20-2018, 07:54 AM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

While I wouldn't track the car or do any high-speed drifting with the car, I do not believe it warrants an immediate replacement since you've checked and confirmed that there is no air leak. The outer part of the tire is very thick rubber compound built to withstand a lot of pressure, weight and heat, and a nail that did not penetrate all the way through and was removed without creating a leak doesn't render the tire useless. You could get the tire patched to reinforce the area if you know exactly where the nail was, but that probably isn't necessary either. Just keep an eye on it and your tire pressures and you should be fine.
Old 05-20-2018, 02:16 PM
Dazugus
Track Day

What a relief. Thank you both!
Old 05-20-2018, 02:43 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 883 Likes on 534 Posts

I agree with above. I've had a similiar thing happen before as well and had no issues long term, especially if you don't notice a slow leak or drop in pressure over several days.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:59 PM
Dazugus
Track Day

Originally Posted by skl
I agree with above. I've had a similiar thing happen before as well and had no issues long term, especially if you don't notice a slow leak or drop in pressure over several days.
That's great to hear. Thanks for chiming in with the long term experience.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:34 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

A couple of years ago I spotted a screw in the tread of one of my rear tires. Loss of air was not an issue. However, I didn't pull the screw out just in case. Drove to the Porsche dealer and they refuse to fix, instead offering to sell me a new tire. Not going to happen! Next I drove to a local tire store. They took the tire off and put it in water. No air bubbles. Pulled out the screw and put tire back in the water - still no air bubbles. The tech suggest that I just put the tire back on and monitor air pressure from time to time. They said have a nice day - no charge. Five thousand miles later I traded the car with that tire still on it.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:36 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

If you've ever rasped and plugged one of our tires, you'll realize just how tough the inner carcass really is. Glad you didn't get flatted.
Old 05-21-2018, 01:29 AM
Dazugus
Track Day

Originally Posted by DBH
A couple of years ago I spotted a screw in the tread of one of my rear tires. Loss of air was not an issue. However, I didn't pull the screw out just in case. Drove to the Porsche dealer and they refuse to fix, instead offering to sell me a new tire. Not going to happen! Next I drove to a local tire store. They took the tire off and put it in water. No air bubbles. Pulled out the screw and put tire back in the water - still no air bubbles. The tech suggest that I just put the tire back on and monitor air pressure from time to time. They said have a nice day - no charge. Five thousand miles later I traded the car with that tire still on it.
I love a happy ending!

Originally Posted by LexVan
If you've ever rasped and plugged one of our tires, you'll realize just how tough the inner carcass really is. Glad you didn't get flatted.
Thanks, and good to know these tires can take a beating.

Quick Reply: Pulled a nail out of tire, apparently no leak. Replace or not?