Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carnewal GT for Cayman R with PSE

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 03:38 AM
604IS350
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Carnewal GT for Cayman R with PSE

Does anyone know if it's worth doing the Carnewal mod for the Cayman R with PSE ? I've heard some say that it wouldn't make any difference but from the video clips I've watched, the Carnewal mod sounds a bit more aggressive than the stock PSE.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:35 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

987.2 generation models don't benefit much from this mod because they don't have catalysts in the mufflers (unlike 987.1 cars) Since the biggest advantage of this mod is removal of these secondary cats, not much is gained from the remaining trickery that is done to the mufflers.
I would recommend investing in sport headers instead. You will get much better sound and noticeable power gain!
Old 05-18-2018, 11:54 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by olegd
987.2 generation models don't benefit much from this mod because they don't have catalysts in the mufflers (unlike 987.1 cars) Since the biggest advantage of this mod is removal of these secondary cats, not much is gained from the remaining trickery that is done to the mufflers.
I would recommend investing in sport headers instead. You will get much better sound and noticeable power gain!
+1
Old 05-18-2018, 12:20 PM
604IS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by olegd
Ah I didn't that that. That makes sense now. Thanks !

I'll most likely keep the PSE and look into sport headers.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:30 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Or even race headers! My race headers with valves closed is pretty civil. Valves open is mini-cup car sound.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:12 PM
604IS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Or even race headers! My race headers with valves closed is pretty civil. Valves open is mini-cup car sound.
Yes there's quite a few options . I'm just doing my research now and I've narrowed it down to either Cargraphic or FVD. Mainly looking for improved midrange torque and also sound without being over the top / annoying. I'll also consider race headers since they're quite a bit cheaper but I'm a bit concerned about the possibility of CEL .

I also emailed Dundon Motorsports and they said they're working on a set for the 987.2 which is targeted to be released in late summer. I've seen watched a few videos of the GT4 w Dundon race headers and it sounds intoxicating ! Granted the GT4 sounds much better stock vs the 987.2 R but if the headers can bring it close to that level I will be more than happy.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:01 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 604IS350
Yes there's quite a few options . I'm just doing my research now and I've narrowed it down to either Cargraphic or FVD. Mainly looking for improved midrange torque and also sound without being over the top / annoying. I'll also consider race headers since they're quite a bit cheaper but I'm a bit concerned about the possibility of CEL .

I also emailed Dundon Motorsports and they said they're working on a set for the 987.2 which is targeted to be released in late summer. I've seen watched a few videos of the GT4 w Dundon race headers and it sounds intoxicating ! Granted the GT4 sounds much better stock vs the 987.2 R but if the headers can bring it close to that level I will be more than happy.
If you don't have emissions testing or another reason to keep the cats I'd suggest race headers and a tune for a combined price of about the same as catted headers - more power, more sound.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:22 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

Consider Soul headers as well. I have their 200-cell cat version on my car and very satisfied. They use top quality German HJS cats.
Old 05-19-2018, 06:03 AM
604IS350
Intermediate

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
If you don't have emissions testing or another reason to keep the cats I'd suggest race headers and a tune for a combined price of about the same as catted headers - more power, more sound.
That's a good idea - I almost forgot that there are tunes available. Do you have any recommendations? It seems like the Cobb tuning is quite popular.
Old 05-19-2018, 12:35 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 604IS350
That's a good idea - I almost forgot that there are tunes available. Do you have any recommendations? It seems like the Cobb tuning is quite popular.
I have Cobb and like it.

Quick Reply: Carnewal GT for Cayman R with PSE