Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Service for 987.2 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 07:40 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Service for 987.2 Spyder

I am taking my car to the local dealership tomorrow. It’s a 2011 with 7,900 miles on it. Aside from the annual service, what age related services should I request? I had the brakes flushed last year and at the same time they said not to bother with changing the PDK fluid.

At this point, it still has the original tires and I’m thinking of changing them as I don’t care to trust old rubber and I know the sealant is supposed to be changed every four years.

Just curious what other suggestions y’all might have...
Old 05-15-2018, 07:59 PM
destroid
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I’m going through the same program with my 2011 Spyder ~8500 miles.

Did the oil and filter myself and engine air filter. Motul brake fluid flush is next.
Consider a coolant flush as there are corrosion inhibitors etc. that may break down over time.

I had the original tires (late 2010 date codes) and they were rock hard. Don’t pull a Paul Walker - replace them now as they are aged out.
I had the dealer install Michelin Pilot Sport 4S and they are great so far (tirerack.com acquired). Also consider TPMS sensors while tires are off as the batteries can die - happened to my boss with his 5+ year old 911 cab.

Then go enjoy without worries

Old 05-15-2018, 08:20 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

x2 on tires. Sure seems like tires would be high on the list. The max is around 10 years, you are at 7-8, and that max assumes the right storage.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:08 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

About a year ago with 14k miles I did the following:
- Air filter (myself)
- Spark Plugs
- Trans Fluid
- Oil Change
- Coolant Change
- New Tires
- Brake Fluid Flush (including clutch)

Based upon what I felt in the car afterwards I should have changed the tires and the trans fluid sooner as both made a difference. No discernible difference with the plugs or coolant but after 6 years I figured the cost to have it done was minimal. I had flushed the brake fluid before but not the clutch and I did notice a difference here also. My TPMS are still working fine (knock on wood) but I know I’m on borrowed time.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:32 PM
SCMike
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 82 Posts

Useful suggestions for those of us on mental autopilot with low mileage cars. Thanks!
Old 05-16-2018, 12:03 AM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
About a year ago with 14k miles I did the following:
- Air filter (myself)
- Spark Plugs
- Trans Fluid
- Oil Change
- Coolant Change
- New Tires
- Brake Fluid Flush (including clutch)

Based upon what I felt in the car afterwards I should have changed the tires and the trans fluid sooner as both made a difference. No discernible difference with the plugs or coolant but after 6 years I figured the cost to have it done was minimal. I had flushed the brake fluid before but not the clutch and I did notice a difference here also. My TPMS are still working fine (knock on wood) but I know I’m on borrowed time.
Brake fluid flush is really easy, and if you are tracking it at all they say your fluid should never be more than six months old. My filter and coolant is next.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:57 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Definitely change the plugs or at the very least have the service tech take them out clean and re-instal with a new coating of anti seize. PORSCHE recommended service on plugs is 40K OR four years. you don't want one seized and not able to be normally removed. I would also check the serpentine belt as they age and dry out. Again better to replace than have it fail while driving.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:49 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 172 Likes on 107 Posts

Okay, the car is dropped off, here's the list:

Tires
Belt change
Tranny fluid
Spark Plugs
Cabin Filter
Oil Change and routine maintenance

I asked about the coolant and the TPMS and the SA said not to do it, and referenced the Porsche manuals to be sure. He said while the water pumps have been known to have an occasional issue, nothing shows that its related to a coolant breakdown. As for the TPMS, he said that the failure rate isn't high enough to justify it, and I could easily get to my next set of tires before it becomes a problem and that if one does fail before then, just deal with it at that time. His advise made sense to me.

On another note, my loaner is a new 718S and it is a very nice car! Any one dissing these cars or the engine has likely not driven one. No, I am not going to replace my Spyder with one, but I am pretty sure the 718S does literally everything performance related better than the 987. I like the analog feel and looks of my Spyder, but the 718S wins about everything else.

Quick Reply: Service for 987.2 Spyder