Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carfax report review - Was this some kind of demo or press car?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 03:22 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks all. I got a follow up call from the dealer yesterday and when I asked about it they believed it was some type of executive car but they are looking into it for me. I did more research and I don't think it is a PEC car. The PEC in Atlanta was opened in May 2015 and this car was sold six months prior in December 2014.

I will be taking a look at the car this weekend. Thanks.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:02 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
No, I don't think it was broken in "by the book", but then I don't believe in applying decades old break-in procedures to new technology engines. It's a never-ending debate that we don't need to restart here. I don't beat on a cold engine, but I've never subscribed to babying the car for the first thousand miles and I've never had a problem in any vehicle I've owned.
That's the only thing that would bother me about a PEC car. You know that nobody's going to waste their time slot waiting for the car to warm up. If indeed it was a PEC car, then every morning, without fail, somebody jumped in that car and flogged it immediately with no foreplay.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:39 AM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 929 Likes on 533 Posts

actually they warm these cars up before driving, Basically , while the instructors are talking to you, the ground crew are prepping the cars
Porsche does not break in the cars, every car I drove there: Boxter S , turbo, GT3 , had around a 1000 miles on it and they were driven hard
On the other hand, M School cars , are always broken in according to factory recommendations, and they get 1200 mile service which is essentially change all fluids, and then they enter the pool
Old 05-18-2018, 10:48 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
That's the only thing that would bother me about a PEC car. You know that nobody's going to waste their time slot waiting for the car to warm up. If indeed it was a PEC car, then every morning, without fail, somebody jumped in that car and flogged it immediately with no foreplay.
I would expect this at a dealership, where people walk in and want to take a car for a drive. At a PEC things are much more planned and scheduled. Even if you were to walk in unannounced and want to drive cars on the track they would have sufficient time to start and warm up the cars before you made it through a training presentation about the facility, cars, and driving events. I also suspect the mechanics and instructors at a PEC or driving school are warming up the cars and taking them out on test laps every morning just because they can, but also to confirm the cars work as expected before anyone arrives to drive them.
Old 05-21-2018, 04:35 PM
Jawnathin
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 55 Posts

Thanks everyone for the advice.

I looked at the car this weekend and walked away. The car was very well equipped and looked great from about 20 feet away. But as you got up close it was just in pretty poor shape overall. Paint had lots of swirls, lots of rock chips/deep scratches, small crack on the corner of the windshield that wasn't in the photos, curb rash on all four wheels, the headlights had weird scratches/cracking on it. Just lots of really weird stuff with it.

I'd be OK with a one or two things but overall I got the sense it was not taken care of very well by the previous owner. At a discount maybe since a lot of it was fixable but not the price they were asking. Feel bad for the car, it deserved better. Also learned CPO doesn't mean it is a car in good condition.

Had the car been clean and looks like it was taken care of, I would have been OK with it. Oh well, the search continues!
Old 05-21-2018, 05:46 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
Thanks everyone for the advice.

I looked at the car this weekend and walked away. The car was very well equipped and looked great from about 20 feet away. But as you got up close it was just in pretty poor shape overall. Paint had lots of swirls, lots of rock chips/deep scratches, small crack on the corner of the windshield that wasn't in the photos, curb rash on all four wheels, the headlights had weird scratches/cracking on it. Just lots of really weird stuff with it.

I'd be OK with a one or two things but overall I got the sense it was not taken care of very well by the previous owner. At a discount maybe since a lot of it was fixable but not the price they were asking. Feel bad for the car, it deserved better. Also learned CPO doesn't mean it is a car in good condition.

Had the car been clean and looks like it was taken care of, I would have been OK with it. Oh well, the search continues!
You did the right thing. Buy the most pristine example of the car you want is my M.O. You will love and cherish it more than a beat up example that you massage and replace parts on in the hopes of turning it into what you really wanted. In the end, you will never forget she was a bit of a hag to begin with.

Restorations are a different animal.
Old 05-26-2018, 03:44 PM
shoegaze
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, just keep looking. There are too many nice examples out there if you are patient.

Quick Reply: Carfax report review - Was this some kind of demo or press car?