Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder 2 year service cost

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 04:10 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Not an option for some of us, unfortunately. No Porsche dealership in the state.
Understood. Being surrounded by dealers causes me to sometimes forget not everyone is in the same boat. But let's say you DID have the option. How important is a dealer stamped service booklet to you? Does it have sufficient value to justify the added expense? Just curious. I'm sure everyone has differing views and I realize the amount of the cost savings probably has some bearing on one's response.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:13 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

And I'm not really trying to turn this into another tired indy vs. dealer service debate -- we all know the pros and cons of each. Just wondering what value is placed, if any, on a dealer stamped service booklet.
Old 05-15-2018, 04:29 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 636 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Understood. Being surrounded by dealers causes me to sometimes forget not everyone is in the same boat. But let's say you DID have the option. How important is a dealer stamped service booklet to you? Does it have sufficient value to justify the added expense? Just curious. I'm sure everyone has differing views and I realize the amount of the cost savings probably has some bearing on one's response.
The same car with a dealer stamped booklet would be a little more valuable to me than one with no booklet. One with service records from a reputable shop would be just as valuable.

I dealt with this when I bought my Boxster GTS. It was two years old. It was originally sold by the dealership where I bought it. However, the owner had lost all the manuals. The dealership replaced them, but it meant I had no service history. They assured me they had performed all the services over the last two years, and had just performed the 30K mile service as part of the CPO process. Wasn't a terribly big deal though because the car had 3+ years of CPO warranty left.

I'm keeping all my receipts and service records in a folder. When it comes time for me to sell I think it will help.

I can tell you when I was originally looking for my first Porsche I was set on a 987.2 Cayman S (hence my username). I felt much better about the ones with full service history. I even had a 2007 in consideration. It had spent the last couple of years as an occasional weekend track car and had nearly 50 pages of documentation going back to 2010. Though a 987.1 that had been tracked I had a lot of faith in it because of all the records. Pretty much anything that could possibly be considered a weakness in the 987.1s had been addressed.
Old 05-15-2018, 06:41 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a huge savings and I totally get the financial allure of going to an independent shop, particularly for the most basic routine service that is hard to botch. But I'm guessing you guys that have the major and intermediate Porsche recommended services performed at an indy don't place much value on having your service booklet reflect a Porsche dealer's stamp essentially verifying that the work has been performed at a dealer using genuine OEM parts. I'm admittedly **** about this sort of thing and if I ever bought a used Porsche, a dealer-stamped service booklet reflecting timely service by a dealer at the recommended mileage/date would give me a certain peace of mind and be a big selling point -- at least for me (YMMV). While I would love to save several hundred $$$, getting that damn service booklet stamped prevents me from doing so. Call me nuts.
Ok..you're nuts!

I'm keeping the car and my indy does good work, so I could give a damn about the $450+ stamp. Especially for a oil change/brake fluid flush. That's some expensive ink!

Last edited by Milehigh981; 05-15-2018 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:16 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah as long as my indy does good work I am happy. Now if I was buying a twice as expensive exotic I would then be bothered more about the service history if it was an second hand car.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:35 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,904 Posts

And I'm not really trying to turn this into another tired indy vs. dealer service debate -- we all know the pros and cons of each. Just wondering what value is placed, if any, on a dealer stamped service booklet.
Zero IMO. I don’t even bother to get mine stamped and nobody’s ever asked when I sold the car. Maintenance documentation is all you need. Booklet stamping is totally unnecessary as long as you have documentation. That said, I lean dealer over Indy for most things.
Old 05-15-2018, 10:38 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Personally I don’t add any value for a dealer stamped book and haven’t bothered to keep up with it on my Spyder. All that really matters when buying a used Porsche is that the maintenance has been performed on schedule using the correct parts and fluids. If anything looks fishy or fudged I question it and I make sure its checked during a PPI.

I used the dealer during the first four years of ownership primarily to insure I wouldn’t have any resistance by the dealer to repair anything under warranty. After the warranty expired I started doing my own oil changes and or bringing the car to an Indy.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:12 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Yeah I mean it's not like dealers have not f*#ked up the car during maintenance. I don't get that whole dealer stamped book thing. I would not care in the least. It's just another way to pry money out of one's hands.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:54 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 964 Likes on 588 Posts

I've already changed oil and filter a couple times - not that tough but lucky to have a lift etc. Using a Motive bleeder for the brakes isn't that bad either. Surprised more people here don't do it themselves. My son found out when he had his California that almost none of the Ferrari guys do any work on the cars themselves. Guess I just enjoy doing it and then I know it was done right.

(of course, I've been dinking with these things since I got my 914 in 1971- I've had the engine in and out of that so many times I could do it in my sleep...)
Old 05-16-2018, 11:49 PM
Phil T
Burning Brakes

Received 104 Likes on 76 Posts

Buy OEM parts and keep the receipts...….where's the problem here?...………..Phil
Old 05-17-2018, 12:36 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

I’m one that finds the value in having a properly documented booklet from the dealership. Does it cost plenty, yes. Is it worth it? To me, yes. Someone else? Perhaps not, but I don’t place any real value in having an Indy shop work on a car that I am trying to preserve a pedigree with.

I have other, older Porsche’s that I am fine servicing myself (at least when I feel up to doing so) and if not, an Indy is an acceptable choice. The Spyder and some of my newer cars, I find I am generally much happier with factory service. This goes for my Toyota’s and BMW as well.
Old 05-17-2018, 08:08 AM
ekam
Drifting

Received 514 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
Yeah I mean it's not like dealers have not f*#ked up the car during maintenance. I don't get that whole dealer stamped book thing. I would not care in the least. It's just another way to pry money out of one's hands.
I'm on my 2nd Pcar and I'm not even aware of the book with dealer stamps. I thought most owners here do their own basic maintenance.

I don't take my car to the dealer: 1) I can't afford to. 2) I can do a better job because it's my own car.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:03 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,011 Posts

No need for stamps if you go to the dealer is all in their system.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:54 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by Maverick787
No need for stamps if you go to the dealer is all in their system.
Exactly. I have so far not seen anything exorbitantly priced at my dealership but so far all I have done is oil changes and get a windshield replaced. The mods they refuse to do like spacers on the wheels and GT4 front lip. So I went indy for that route.
Old 05-18-2018, 12:02 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,100 Likes on 1,011 Posts

My 458 book is empty .......if you skip a mtc year at Ferrari they will void the 7 year free svc which is about 2k a visit. No warr I will do whatever.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder 2 year service cost