Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BGB Motorsports - 987.2 Cayman R Track Day Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 04:16 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 591 Likes on 261 Posts

Correct, this car came equipped with the factory center radiator, and a heat exchange on the gear box. We have developed an additional kit with an air to oil cooler, that cools the gear side seen here http://www.teambgb.com/BGB-Motorspor...-p/bgb_tck.htm

if you'd like, shoot me an email and I can send a PDF walk through of the install.
Old 06-01-2018, 03:01 PM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice build. Came across this on a forum search. Any thoughts on rear brake cooling ducts? Noticed none were listed in the build.

Reason I ask is because I have a 987.2 S (2010 owned since new) with stock brake calipers, stock/textar sport brake pads (same as Cayman R/Spyder), brembo rotors all around, ATE fluid, and 997 GT3 front brake ducts, Michelin pilot super sports road tires. I DE my car once or twice a year. At last weekend's PCA RADE event in Road America (it was hot, air temps ~95F+), the front rotor and caliper temps were fine (from memory about 350deg F on rotor face, and 220-50F or so on caliper surface as measured by my laser temp gun). But the rears were about 420-465degF on rotor face and about 300-325F on caliper surface. All measurements done as soon as I came out of 30 min session and parked on paddock after run (with half lap of cool down). Brakes were solid/good over two full days of tracking (four or five - 30 min sessions per day), no fade, solid pedal, etc. Also, all calipers still look "new" red with the white porsche lettering...not the discolored brown look of overheated calipers. So I think they are not "overheating" per se. Although I run group 3, I keep the traction control on as this is my daily and don't want to bork it . This likely leads to the higher temps in rear as brakes are used for vectoring/saving my bacon when I screw up a corner.

But I'm just wondering from the track rat experts (you guys!) if 1) rear temps are within "normal" range and have nothing to worry about, and 2) what rear ducts I can install (even with some mods/hacking) to keep temps a bit more under control if needed ...for long term caliper longevity, etc. Now I just have the old stock front ducts zip tied in the rear control arms..(someone here did this hack, so why not).

Many thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Kinderelk (11-03-2021)

Quick Reply: BGB Motorsports - 987.2 Cayman R Track Day Build