Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy a Cayman. Need Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 12:17 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Looking to buy a Cayman. Need Advice.

Hey folks,

I am new around here. I am currently in the market for my first Porsche, a pre-owned Cayman (2012 - 2016) and I still need to decide if I want the base or the S model. I test drove both and I like the extra power from the S but honestly I am not sure I will be able to rev the engine and use that extra HP on the street without getting into trouble. My budget is flexible and around 50K, but would ideally like to spend closer to 45K. My ideal car is a 2015/2016 in Red with less than 20,000 miles with PDK, standard seats with power, sport steering wheel & sport (x73) suspension.

I have a few questions for cayman owners that would really help me out with my purchase:

Is either of the engines 2.7 vs 3.6 more reliable than the other?
If you have a base cayman, do you regret not getting the S?
What are my engine tuning options for either of the engines? Would like to research before making a decision on a base or S.
Should I buy the base and spend some money on tuning/exhaust/mods that may make the car more enjoyable?
Any options on these cars that I should avoid like the plague?

Your answers would be much appreciated. Cheers
Old 05-02-2018, 12:23 PM
bminingham
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

With your budget you are closer to a non-S 981. I'd go for the newest car you can afford and definitely recommend the X73, even if added aftermarket as it is not very expensive. I think the extra power of the S is essential, but that's a personal preference.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:31 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

My first Porsche was a non S due to financial concerns. After a couple of years had to have an S, and now a GTS, worth every penny. Get the S, you will sooner or later if you stay with Porsches and it costs more later. I chose PASM over X73 and drive with it in the softer mode. PSE is too much fun. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:34 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by bminingham
With your budget you are closer to a non-S 981. I'd go for the newest car you can afford and definitely recommend the X73, even if added aftermarket as it is not very expensive. I think the extra power of the S is essential, but that's a personal preference.
Thanks. My budget is more or less flexible when it comes down to it. I may just need to pony up the extra cash for an S.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:38 PM
ekam
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 314 Posts

I just upgraded from a 986 base (225hp) to 987.2 S (310hp) and while the extra low-end torque is appreciated when moving between stop-and-go traffic, I do run to arrest-me-now speed very quickly which kind of kills part of the fun.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:43 PM
bminingham
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kayman
Thanks. My budget is more or less flexible when it comes down to it. I may just need to pony up the extra cash for an S.
I just bought a 2015 981 S last month and am blown away, its also my first Porsche. The sound, handling...etc. Go for the S, you wont regret it.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:46 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
My first Porsche was a non S due to financial concerns. After a couple of years had to have an S, and now a GTS, worth every penny. Get the S, you will sooner or later if you stay with Porsches and it costs more later. I chose PASM over X73 and drive with it in the softer mode. PSE is too much fun. Enjoy your new ride.
My worry with the S is not just the extra cash, but if I will get to push it that far. I drive a 335i now and it felt like it was missing something when it came off the dealership lot, I got a tune on the car which changed the throttle response and it feels like that how the car should have come from the factory. I love the throttle response, but I never pushed the car enough to use all the power it has. I feel like that might be the case if I got an S, but if I am going to miss the power later, I might as well pony up the cash upfront.

I am looking at aftermarket exhausts, do you have any recommendations?
Old 05-02-2018, 02:51 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by ekam
I just upgraded from a 986 base (225hp) to 987.2 S (310hp) and while the extra low-end torque is appreciated when moving between stop-and-go traffic, I do run to arrest-me-now speed very quickly which kind of kills part of the fun.
Yeah, that's my worry as well. In my juvenile years, I was one ticket away from suspension, and that's something that I would like to avoid revisiting. I wonder if getting a base cayman and an aftermarket tune will be the best of both worlds.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:52 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Since you "liked" the extra power of an S, I think you've already decided on wanting that. It's also a 3.4L, not 3.6L by the way but both are solid engines.

Also recommend the X73 and since you're looking for a PDK, Sport Chrono would be quite useful for launches (or just enjoying the more immediate throttle response in general).

As far as tuning goes, seems like unless you also add catless headers and more free-flowing air filters and possibly a plenum upgrade, the power bump isn't as drastic and may not be worth the additional expense, but that's typically the case for NA cars. Some of the dyno charts I've seen show the biggest bump near redline, but how often will you be driving there in the street? Now if you plan on tracking it, then sure, it makes sense.
Old 05-02-2018, 03:30 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

How will you use the Cayman?

Daily driver, weekend canyon carving, track toy, etc?
Old 05-02-2018, 03:39 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's in the budget go for the S. I started with looking at a base, wound up with a S then progressed to a Spyder.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:33 PM
bminingham
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kayman
My worry with the S is not just the extra cash, but if I will get to push it that far. I drive a 335i now and it felt like it was missing something when it came off the dealership lot, I got a tune on the car which changed the throttle response and it feels like that how the car should have come from the factory. I love the throttle response, but I never pushed the car enough to use all the power it has. I feel like that might be the case if I got an S, but if I am going to miss the power later, I might as well pony up the cash upfront.

I am looking at aftermarket exhausts, do you have any recommendations?
I have PSE and K&N filters. I feel zero need to upgrade my exhaust to anything louder. The K&N's really add a throaty intake noise...
Old 05-02-2018, 05:02 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Different take here. I have a base 2014 Cayman with X73, an aftermarket exhaust, a tune and some track related brake and safety mods. (Seats, harnesses, half cage.) What is nice Is that the car is relatively simple by modern standards, and feels more analog, especially compared with the new, technology rich cars with PASM, PSE, Apple car play, torque vectoring etc. etc. With the base Cayman it is possible to “wind it out” to a greater degree before reaching jailcard speeds.

FWIW, the tune doesn’t add much, I think it was about 12 hp, with the torque coming in a little earlier. I definitely prefer a non-adjustable exhaust, probably because I’m an old fart. Not to say that PSE is bad, I’ve had it on two other cars, it just offends me a bit to push a button to get more sound. Similarly, there is nothing wrong with an S. Besides the added power, the brakes are better, and the 3.4 l is a bit more tuneable. It’s true though that the base cars have a lot to offer and are under appreciated IMO. Both models are very robust.

Whatever you decide I recommend that you join PCA. You will make a lot of new friends who can help you put your new car to proper use.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
How will you use the Cayman?

Daily driver, weekend canyon carving, track toy, etc?
Daily/Weekend fun car. It's not going to be a track toy for sure, maybe it will visit the track a few times in it's lifetime.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:28 PM
Kayman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Different take here. I have a base 2014 Cayman with X73, an aftermarket exhaust, a tune and some track related brake and safety mods. (Seats, harnesses, half cage.) What is nice Is that the car is relatively simple by modern standards, and feels more analog, especially compared with the new, technology rich cars with PASM, PSE, Apple car play, torque vectoring etc. etc. With the base Cayman it is possible to “wind it out” to a greater degree before reaching jailcard speeds.

FWIW, the tune doesn’t add much, I think it was about 12 hp, with the torque coming in a little earlier. I definitely prefer a non-adjustable exhaust, probably because I’m an old fart. Not to say that PSE is bad, I’ve had it on two other cars, it just offends me a bit to push a button to get more sound. Similarly, there is nothing wrong with an S. Besides the added power, the brakes are better, and the 3.4 l is a bit more tuneable. It’s true though that the base cars have a lot to offer and are under appreciated IMO. Both models are very robust.

Whatever you decide I recommend that you join PCA. You will make a lot of new friends who can help you put your new car to proper use.
Thanks! Yeah, I would like to wind the car out a bit as well. Does the tune improve throttle response? What tune do you have if you don't mind me asking. I feel like an aftermarket exhaust will be my choice unless the car I like happens to have PSE already. But I will not be looking for PSE specifically.

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a Cayman. Need Advice.