Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with hill assist feature

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 04:34 PM
Dolomick
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with hill assist feature

So I recently got an '09 Cayman base with 34k miles for a good price and I'm learning to drive manual with it - I used to have a motorcycle so I understand clutch control but I think the hill assist feature is really screwing me up getting into our steep driveway. Can someone give a step by step explanation of what they would do to properly go from a near standstill into a steep driveway? I have to slow down to not bottom out the front end, but the other day it took me wayyyy to many attempts to get the damn car into the garage. Possibly another issue is a lack of expected torque in first gear, because sometimes I would get the car moving a bit forward and THEN stall out - even with about 2k RPM's. I can't figure out if I'm not giving it enough RPM's (2k should be enough I would think) or what. My sequence was to have foot on brake, find clutch biting point, move to gas and try to get about 2k rpms and slowly release the clutch - too slowly I think maybe, hence the stalling. Or do I need to go to 2500 rpms? I had forgot about the hill assist feature and I think that's screwing up the timing that I was used to on my old motorcycle. It's probably about a 25-30 degree incline. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
Old 04-30-2018, 09:42 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

I had a 2008 Base C w/o hill assist and used the parking brake. I can't recall the specific rev's...but it was always just a feel thing. If you're about to stall the motor, little more clutch (pushing on the pedal more) and little more gas...without burning the crap out of the clutch, of course. The hill assist just holds you in-place, so you might briefly rev higher and let the clutch get a good bite and then drop the revs and work the clutch on your way up.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2018, 11:53 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Dolomick
So I recently got an '09 Cayman base with 34k miles for a good price and I'm learning to drive manual with it - I used to have a motorcycle so I understand clutch control but I think the hill assist feature is really screwing me up getting into our steep driveway. Can someone give a step by step explanation of what they would do to properly go from a near standstill into a steep driveway? I have to slow down to not bottom out the front end, but the other day it took me wayyyy to many attempts to get the damn car into the garage. Possibly another issue is a lack of expected torque in first gear, because sometimes I would get the car moving a bit forward and THEN stall out - even with about 2k RPM's. I can't figure out if I'm not giving it enough RPM's (2k should be enough I would think) or what. My sequence was to have foot on brake, find clutch biting point, move to gas and try to get about 2k rpms and slowly release the clutch - too slowly I think maybe, hence the stalling. Or do I need to go to 2500 rpms? I had forgot about the hill assist feature and I think that's screwing up the timing that I was used to on my old motorcycle. It's probably about a 25-30 degree incline. Any tips are greatly appreciated.
The accelerator pedal is your friend. Give it more throttle than you think you need and slowly let off the clutch. You'll feel the brakes release and you'll be on your way. Contrary to the manual, you do not just take off as usual or will almost certainly stall. The brakes hold on tight long after I think they should release. I had trouble with it as well at the beginning.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:59 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

Nevermind
Old 05-01-2018, 04:27 PM
Dolomick
AutoX

The thing is I was giving it more throttle than I thought it needed. Can someone list their step by step guide or confirm if my sequence is correct? Brake and clutch depressed, clutch out until revs drop a bit, move foot off brake and depress gas down more than I think necessary... once stupid hill assist turns off, let out the clutch slowly and hope the engine doesn’t shudder/stall.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:44 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dolomick
The thing is I was giving it more throttle than I thought it needed. Can someone list their step by step guide or confirm if my sequence is correct? Brake and clutch depressed, clutch out until revs drop a bit, move foot off brake and depress gas down more than I think necessary... once stupid hill assist turns off, let out the clutch slowly and hope the engine doesn’t shudder/stall.
I do this:

1. Brake assist feature operational and holding car in place
2. Clutch pedal depressed - foot off brake
3. Press accelerator pedal slightly to get engine up off idle (maybe 900-1200RPM)
4. Slowly release clutch until hill assist releases brakes
5. Accelerate away

If you release the clutch too quickly you will (as with all manual transmissions but especially one in which the brakes are affirmatively applied via the hill assist) stall the engine. Give it some gas first, let off the clutch slow, and away you go.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:27 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 954 Likes on 568 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I do this:

3. Press accelerator pedal slightly to get engine up off idle (maybe 900-1200RPM)
5. Accelerate away

If you release the clutch too quickly you will (as with all manual transmissions but especially one in which the brakes are affirmatively applied via the hill assist) stall the engine. Give it some gas first, let off the clutch slow, and away you go.

Basically the same for me. With Hill Assist engaged, there is no reason to mess with the brake pedal. And I sometimes use more revs (up to maybe 2500).
Old 05-02-2018, 09:29 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
I do this:

5. Accelerate away

Pretty much this.
Old 05-12-2018, 10:43 AM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

How you enable/disable hill assist?
Old 05-17-2018, 09:03 PM
dsrufer
Advanced

Dolomick:

The Hill Assist lasts only two seconds. On an incline, let go of the brake pedal, wait two seconds, and the brakes will let go. Be ready to increase the revs and release the clutch. Hill Assist does not let go of the brakes during those two seconds. You can let out the clutch as much as you want and rev as much as you want but you'll only be battling the brakes during the first two seconds after coming off the brakes. Just come off the brake pedal, wait two seconds, and Hill Assist will be out of the picture. Then it's up to you, the clutch, and gas pedal. Sadly, you'll be doing this from a standstill. But better than with the car holding onto the brakes. I'd much prefer the car did not offer that feature.
Old 05-17-2018, 11:09 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dsrufer
Dolomick:

The Hill Assist lasts only two seconds. On an incline, let go of the brake pedal, wait two seconds, and the brakes will let go. Be ready to increase the revs and release the clutch. Hill Assist does not let go of the brakes during those two seconds. You can let out the clutch as much as you want and rev as much as you want but you'll only be battling the brakes during the first two seconds after coming off the brakes. Just come off the brake pedal, wait two seconds, and Hill Assist will be out of the picture. Then it's up to you, the clutch, and gas pedal. Sadly, you'll be doing this from a standstill. But better than with the car holding onto the brakes. I'd much prefer the car did not offer that feature.
Hill assist in my Spyder lasts a lot longer than 2 seconds. I keep waiting for it to shut off but it seems it never does.

Quick Reply: Help with hill assist feature