Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 GTS : mod ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 08:34 PM
whiteflashe90
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 981 GTS : mod ideas?

I just traded a 991.1 C2 for a 981 GTS.
I’ll use it as my daily driver and occasional track days.
What have folks done? Looking for ideas.
I’ve been thinking about Aero, perhaps one of the TechArt wings. Sport Exhaust sounds pretty amazing as is, but open to recommendations.
I have the COBB Accessport for the 911, so ECU and PDK will be tuned immediately (had immediate improvement in the 911)
Old 04-28-2018, 10:17 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Great purchase! There are quite a few of us 911 converts here. Put simply, this car is more fun to drive.

That said, not too sure what mods you should do...you already have the best (in my opinion) exhaust in the PSE, the wheels looks great, you have Cobb so you can extract the most out of tuning. A plenum or headers will not add a ton of power. The car is pretty complete to be honest. Maybe some fresh Michelin tires and just drive it? Porsche did a good job with their GTS trim levels across the brand.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:25 PM
arter
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 92 Posts

Sport headers along with a tune add power and noise.
Old 04-29-2018, 10:00 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats, beautiful car! Other than whats been mentioned -since its going to be the DD how about improving the stereo (unless you already have burmester)?
Old 04-29-2018, 10:05 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the "forward" thinking (and engine) club. There's not a ton to do on these cars. The big "mod" to do, if you don't already have it, is to install the X73 Sport Suspension that lowers the car by another 10mm over the PASM and beefs up the torsion bars. The exhaust I wouldn't touch. Martini decals? Love them!
Old 04-29-2018, 09:53 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Fabspeed race headers and Cobb tune will add a LOT of power. Plenum not worth it on this model. Those who say otherwise don't know ...

Old 04-29-2018, 10:27 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Great car and congratulations!

+1 for headers and tune.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:09 AM
whiteflashe90
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
Fabspeed race headers and Cobb tune will add a LOT of power. Plenum not worth it on this model. Those who say otherwise don't know ...

Thanks everyone! I take delivery in about one week from Cali.
How easy/hard is the install for the Fabspeed headers? (With the mid engine config)
Any drone issues?
I had a fabspeed super sport exhaust on the 911.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:08 AM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

I honestly can't think of a single mod I care to perform on my 981 BGTS. It's perfect bone stock.

When I brought it home I took it straight to the local Porsche specialty shop. Wanted to talk about what mods I needed. He told me to drive it 90 days before changing *anything*. Suggested I get to know the car as-is under all sorts of driving conditions. Keep a log of anything I didn't like or wanted to change. Everything from squeaks, rattles, handling, power, etc. Said to come back after 90 days and we'd talk. I'm glad I did. After 90 days the only thing I wanted was an alignment. He also gave me some recommendations on caring for the seals and such to minimize squeaks and rattles. Had the alignment done and treated all my seals and the like. Done. Cost me $180 for the alignment and the stuff to treat the squeaks and rattles cost me less than $10 at Walmart. I still have a rattle in the driver door I need to sort and at some point need to take the car to the dealer to have the issue with the gas tank rubbing fixed. But performance mods? Nope.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:32 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Catless headers and a tune make a major difference in power and sound. +1 to that suggestion. No drone on mine with PSE closed, but lots with PSE open. With stock exhaust it would probably be okay.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:43 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
I honestly can't think of a single mod I care to perform on my 981 BGTS. It's perfect bone stock.
I'm in this crowd regarding major modifications. I did swap out the front corner markers for the clear LED versions, and I added the Blackmill wind deflectors by the mirrors to cut down on buffeting. The only other change thus far as been track pads for track days. Everything else about the GTS is just great. I don't deny that changing the exhaust and engine tune will add power. I don't deny that the X73 sport suspension will handle better at the track. I don't see the need to spend $4500 to make an additional 15hp. I don't see the reason to degrade daily driver comfort with the X73 to make it half a second faster at the race track. If it were more race car than daily driver, perhaps. If it were actual racing and not just a trophy-less HPDE, absolutely. As a daily driver which sees occasional track use I think it's absolutely stellar in OE form.
Old 04-30-2018, 11:44 AM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Porsche dealer installed headers for a few hundred bucks, worth it to ensure no exhaust leaks, proper torqueing, etc. I did the flash. My frame of reference on drone ... put a borla on my 987 CS, the drone was REALLY BAD around 2200 rpm, seemed to echo around the Cayman closed interior. With the race headers and PSE closed, there is no drone to my ears. PSE open has some drone open but I don't notice it much cuz am having too much fun. Almost as loud with the PSE closed as it used to be with PSE open, so if wife is along for the ride will use Sport mode (perfect with PDK) and PSE closed. When I want to let it rip, it's glorious, and fast.

Old 04-30-2018, 04:52 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by John Ferguson
Porsche dealer installed headers for a few hundred bucks, worth it to ensure no exhaust leaks, proper torqueing, etc. I did the flash. My frame of reference on drone ... put a borla on my 987 CS, the drone was REALLY BAD around 2200 rpm, seemed to echo around the Cayman closed interior. With the race headers and PSE closed, there is no drone to my ears. PSE open has some drone open but I don't notice it much cuz am having too much fun. Almost as loud with the PSE closed as it used to be with PSE open, so if wife is along for the ride will use Sport mode (perfect with PDK) and PSE closed. When I want to let it rip, it's glorious, and fast.

Your picture made me stop what I was doing and order clear corners.
Your BGTS is ULTRA clean. It looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. Did you detail it yourself?

I'll also agree with most everyone else; this car is nearly perfect, there really isn't anything you'd need to change. Sure 15 extra horsepower and a bit more noise would be nice... but $4500 nice??? I don't think so.

That said I may roll through TPC racing one of these days, they're about 20 minutes down the street. I doubt they'd talk me into one of their turbo kits, but I could see myself looking into another AccessPort... but I'm not in a rush.
Old 05-02-2018, 01:19 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Your BGTS is ULTRA clean. It looks like it just rolled off the assembly line. Did you detail it yourself?
Thanks. Take care of it myself which is pretty easy considering and it has never seen a wet road. Ordered exactly as I wanted so it's kind of my precious. Never launched or tracked. Always garaged, covered and on CTEK when not being driven. Some may frown on the low use my precious gets, but am retired with four vehicles so enjoy it sparingly on nice days, wife loves a top down back roads drive around the lake. Lack of PDK is why I chose GTS over a Spyder, depending on what options the next gen Spyder has, might go for Amethyst or Voodoo Blue PTS, and PCCBs would help keep the wheels clean easier. Enjoy your clear side covers, they improve the looks a lot.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:11 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,502 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Catless headers and a tune make a major difference in power and sound. +1 to that suggestion. No drone on mine with PSE closed, but lots with PSE open.
I did the same, and would agree, but adding DREAM2 exhaust tips took care of 80 to 90 percent of the drone when I put those on. Made for a slightly more pleasant growl too.

Quick Reply: 981 GTS : mod ideas?