Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 GTS : mod ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 05:49 PM
whiteflashe90
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks all! I have been driving the car for a few days now any absolutely love it. More engaging than the 991.1 C2. This weekend I’ll install the COBB tune and provide an update!
Old 05-27-2018, 01:11 PM
DR1VEN
Rennlist Member

Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts

How did it go?

GT4 scoops with Zunsport grills?
The following users liked this post:
afflux (09-30-2021)
Old 05-27-2018, 01:35 PM
whiteflashe90
Advanced

Added the COBB tune last weekend. Very similar to the performance gains I recognized while installed on my prior 991.1 C2. The engine revs easier the noticeably more power at the high end, which is where you want to be anyway! Each on/easy off. I also had the PDK tune on, which makes driving in “normal” mode more lively. Sport is more aggressive as well. I drive 95% in manual mode, so not a big deal for me. I recommend the engine tune.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:30 PM
donR
Pro

Received 199 Likes on 118 Posts
Cool

Your white GTS looks awesome. I also really like some of the Techart options particularly if you want a PDK version of a GT4.

In the photos the GTS looks a little understated in comparison but in person I think the GTS looks fine as is. A Techart version would be a new level again.

I test drove a GTS yesterday. Looked awesome and much better looking that in photos. The interior with the alcantara was beautiful.
Unfortunately, too much traffic to get a good feel for the car. Also being used to a turbo charged car I didn't get the sense of push from the engine but I know it is reasonably fast.
My main concern was the noise in the cabin - engine and exhaust. Might have been due to the start stop driving but just wondering if it is possible to drive these cars quietly and how noisy are they on a motor way?
Not sure if a Cayman GTS is suitable for a daily? Maybe the 718 is a little quieter.

What's your experience so far?

2016 Cayman 981 GTS
Old 05-27-2018, 11:10 PM
whiteflashe90
Advanced

Originally Posted by donR
Your white GTS looks awesome. I also really like some of the Techart options particularly if you want a PDK version of a GT4.

In the photos the GTS looks a little understated in comparison but in person I think the GTS looks fine as is. A Techart version would be a new level again.

I test drove a GTS yesterday. Looked awesome and much better looking that in photos. The interior with the alcantara was beautiful.
Unfortunately, too much traffic to get a good feel for the car. Also being used to a turbo charged car I didn't get the sense of push from the engine but I know it is reasonably fast.
My main concern was the noise in the cabin - engine and exhaust. Might have been due to the start stop driving but just wondering if it is possible to drive these cars quietly and how noisy are they on a motor way?
Not sure if a Cayman GTS is suitable for a daily? Maybe the 718 is a little quieter.

2016 Cayman 981 GTS
looks great in silver as well!
the Cayman GTS is my daily, replacing the 991.1 C2 which I also used as a daily. Cabin noise is similar on the highway at 80mph, and with the sports exhaust off. I typically am on conference calls during my 30 min commute to the office. Clearly not the best car for this purpose, but is manageable. I loved both cars as a daily.
Old 05-27-2018, 11:15 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

2016 Cayman 981 GTS
981 GTS is suitable for a daily, because I daily one. Leaving off the sport button closes the flap in the exhaust and in the cabin so it is far quieter. It is a sports car so I'm not sure where your expectations are at, but there's no real difference between a 981 and 718 to me as far as interior noise (all 2018 718s get sport exhaust now too); and I've also put a fair amount of seat time in a 718 of late. To put it in perspective, I'll even take calls with the top down (windows up) in my Boxster. I always ask if it's too noisy and no one has complained as of yet.

As for power, it's no secret there isn't much down in the lower rev range for these cars. For me, that's part of the charm. I came from an M4, which has immense power from idle to redline, and while that was fun, it got boring after a while in my particular case, where I find myself rarely with even enough open stretch of road to get into it, and even when I have it you can't really use it on the street unless you want to go to jail. The GTS is fun to drive ALL the time. But if you really want torque, get a 718. You'll probably end up in one eventually anyway.

Also, like many others this car can feel totally different depending on the setting (my M4 and the 2015 STI I had before were similar); you really should switch it into sport or sport+ to get a sense of how the car performs. I've found sport+ to be the best setting unless you're cruising above 45, but if the rev-match gets annoying sport is a good compromise. MUCH more throttle response makes the car feel like it has more torque. To me, it has plenty just shifting normally, but if you rev it out to the top of the rev range you will be rewarded. It really wakes up after about 4500 rpm.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:17 AM
b5audia4
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had mine since new and daily it. The X73 does give it a lower "look" over PASM version. Otherwise out of box from factory I am quite happy with it. Although periodically I itch for manual
Old 05-28-2018, 08:59 AM
donR
Pro

Thanks for everyone's input.

So with you X73 suspension you would still have the adjustable dampers? So ride is still ok on soft setting? What about clearing dips and speed humps? Any problems? I assume it is still not as low as a GT4?

We have an auto F31 msport for a daily with m-sport exhaust and 20" rims with run-flats so it is pretty firm but not as firm as the GTS and the exhaust is fairly quiet unless you put your foot down and remarkably responsive.

I have an old b5 RS4 with about 440hp and fat sway bars and PSS9s so it is rapid and handles exceptionally well for its size and weight distribution but it isn't exactly the easiest car to drive on mountain roads. Hence my interest in the Cayman with PDK. Maybe I am getting old! Remarkably my Audi has a very similar alcantara to the GTS and our F31 also has some m performance alcantara parts like steering wheel which I think is great and like stepping into business class rather than just economy . The Audi is also very quiet unless you put your foot down.

I would mainly use the GTS for drive days on mountain style roads but would like to do the odd weekend sedate road trip/get-away with my wife so it needs to pass the wife test. She will also need to drive it occasionally which shouldn't be a problem as she looks after our F31 very well. From what you guys have said it should pass as a reasonably comfortable daily but I'll have to test drive again, as well as a 718 for comparison.

Anyway, back to GTS mod ideas. As mentioned I was suprised how good the GTS looks as is but I have been tempted by these mods:

I wonder if these GT4 wheels would fit? I think they look the biz and the next best thing to GT3 wheels. Lots of other great Cayman parts on Suncoast.

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKUGT4BLACK.html

I think this would also look awesome if you really wanted the RS that you couldn't afford:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...r-981-gt4.html

I also think these techart mods look pretty cool: Maybe the smaller boot spolier on the left. Perfect for your white GTS.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:47 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Thanks for everyone's input.

So with you X73 suspension you would still have the adjustable dampers? So ride is still ok on soft setting? What about clearing dips and speed humps? Any problems? I assume it is still not as low as a GT4?

We have an auto F31 msport for a daily with m-sport exhaust and 20" rims with run-flats so it is pretty firm but not as firm as the GTS and the exhaust is fairly quiet unless you put your foot down and remarkably responsive.

I have an old b5 RS4 with about 440hp and fat sway bars and PSS9s so it is rapid and handles exceptionally well for its size and weight distribution but it isn't exactly the easiest car to drive on mountain roads. Hence my interest in the Cayman with PDK. Maybe I am getting old! Remarkably my Audi has a very similar alcantara to the GTS and our F31 also has some m performance alcantara parts like steering wheel which I think is great and like stepping into business class rather than just economy . The Audi is also very quiet unless you put your foot down.

I would mainly use the GTS for drive days on mountain style roads but would like to do the odd weekend sedate road trip/get-away with my wife so it needs to pass the wife test. She will also need to drive it occasionally which shouldn't be a problem as she looks after our F31 very well. From what you guys have said it should pass as a reasonably comfortable daily but I'll have to test drive again, as well as a 718 for comparison
I have X73 as well. I was pretty nervous about it at first but now wouldn't have it any other way. I had the M performance front splitter on my M4 and this car clears bumps/driveways/etc. better than the M4 did. Again, it's a sports car so it's not going to drive like a Lexus but it rides almost impossibly good for what it is, I have no idea how Porsche pulled it off. You'll find that sentiment reflected frequently on these boards as well, with most folks who have the X73 option suggesting it's the best suspension out there for these cars, aftermarket included. I have seen some folk say it rides too rough, but I've also heard some folk say Lebron is garbage so.......

As for the wife test, mine had to pass as well. My wife absolutely adored the M4 and really didn't want me to let go of it- and for any of you who can relate, her disdain of the STI actually led me to get rid of it prematurely so I knew I was taking a big chance with the 981. So long story short, she loves it. She takes it out at every opportunity and told me if I get another car, it will be an addition as the Boxster will become hers... or I have to get her another one (she'd prefer the PDK, but I couldn't have one without a manual).

Also DEFINITELY drive a 718 for comparison, you owe it to yourself and to be frank it's a superior car in all categories to the 981 except for subjective things like looks and sound. What pushed me into the 981 was actually more economical and logistical; a 718 GTS would have been 30+% more expensive than what I paid, and at the time (November) I would have had to wait 4+ months, which is virtually impossible for me. So yes, if you're not one of the flat 6 fanboys, go drive a 718.
Old 05-28-2018, 12:22 PM
STLPCA
Addict & Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So with you X73 suspension you would still have the adjustable dampers? So ride is still ok on soft setting?
X73 is a fixed suspension. It does not have adjustable (active) dampers so there is no "soft" setting. You are confusing it with PASM or the more aggressively mapped SPASM. And, a GTS with X73 is not as low as a GT4.
Old 05-28-2018, 03:25 PM
Autoquest Motorsport
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've built a good bit of these, shooting you a PM to discuss : )
Old 05-29-2018, 10:39 AM
donR
Pro

I was wondering whether there is any affordable brake upgrade for the Cayman 981?

Like a disc only upgrade option to say 380mm rotors? I think the OEM calipers are adequate but the option for 6 piston front and 4 piston rear calipers would also be good.

The OEM discs look a little small under 20" rims.
Old 05-29-2018, 10:57 AM
AutoQuest Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I was wondering whether there is any affordable brake upgrade for the Cayman 981?

Like a disc only upgrade option to say 380mm rotors? I think the OEM calipers are adequate but the option for 6 piston front and 4 piston rear calipers would also be good.

The OEM discs look a little small under 20" rims.
Depends on your idea of affordable I suppose haha. Disc only will get you up to a 350mm front and 325mm rear. With calipers you will get up to 380mm 6 piston front, and 345mm 4 piston rear.

Quick Reply: 981 GTS : mod ideas?