Sponsored by:

718 Artificial Engine Noise Speakers? Road & Track Mag

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2018, 10:16 AM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by manifold danger
I think you posted this in the wrong forum.
Oh look at that... They changed the layout. This is the link I used to get to the this forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981--718-forum-125/

Notice it used to include 718 but now redirects to here with no 718...sorry everyone!
Old 04-29-2018, 08:38 AM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by Biochemlab
Oh look at that... They changed the layout. This is the link I used to get to the this forum.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981--718-forum-125/

Notice it used to include 718 but now redirects to here with no 718...sorry everyone!
It's a pretty recent change.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:50 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

What Porsche does with the symposer diaphragm and BMW does with totally fake engine noise through the speakers are two entirely different things .
Old 04-30-2018, 06:32 AM
michaelscain
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Does the sound from the PSE make much difference between the BS or BGTS?

I assume the sound is the same on both when fitted with the PSE.

Has anyone tried both back to back?
Old 04-30-2018, 04:23 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Archimedes
What Porsche does with the symposer diaphragm and BMW does with totally fake engine noise through the speakers are two entirely different things .
So you can confirm that it's not a "speaker" on the 718 GTS? That's the actual question. It's common knowledge at this point that the "acoustic channel" on the 981 GTS models isn't a speaker, but this is the 718 we're talking about.

Originally Posted by michaelscain
Does the sound from the PSE make much difference between the BS or BGTS?

I assume the sound is the same on both when fitted with the PSE.

Has anyone tried both back to back?
So, it is and it isn't. Quantifiably, the GTS has a "symposer" which apparently is a new word invented by Porsche or Subaru that means "not a speaker". From what I understand, the S and base do not have said symposer... so they do not sound the same, PSE or no.

From outside I don't think there's a difference but truth be told I've never driven a 981 S with or without PSE.
Old 04-30-2018, 04:39 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
The thing I don't like about the "extra" noise in the GTS is I can tell exactly when it has been actuated. To me that makes it a bit artificial.

Or maybe I'm wrong and the change I hear around 4,000RPM is not that.
There's also the theory that that's where the "VTEC kicks in".

No, seriously, I noticed a super slight hesitation right about there at light throttle, and a kick in the *** there at full throttle. Might have something to do with it. I did a search and yeah, that seems to be the consensus for when the cams switch over.
Old 04-30-2018, 08:09 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

On the Porsche it’s just a tube and a diaphragm. You can just plug it a rag if you want.

BMW plays fake enigine sounds directly through the stereo speaker.

Google the Car and Driver article called Faking It: Engine sound Enhancement Explained
Old 04-30-2018, 09:44 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

On the Porsche it’s just a tube and a diaphragm. You can just plug it a rag if you want.

Google the Car and Driver article called Faking It: Engine sound Enhancement Explained
I'll see your suggestion to google something and raise you an actual link (to another forum... that references the 718 technical manual): http://www.planet-9.com/718-chat/177...-actuator.html

Relevant text extracted from that post:

"In addition to the new exhaust systems, an electric sound actuator is responsible for creating a sporty Porsche-specific sound in the passenger compartment of the vehicle. The electric sound actuator is installed on the front engine cover in the passenger compartment. It is activated by way of a separate control unit connected with the CAN bus. This control unit is located at the rear left of the luggage compartment.
Electric sound actuator 2_24_17
The goal of the sound actuator is to support/enrich the engine-specific sound, whereby the acoustic component of the sound actuator should harmonize with the sound of the engine and exhaust system depending on load, engine speed and driving speed."

I've read that article you reference, and I tried to be specific in suggesting that we weren't talking about the 981. The 718 has the "soundaktor" that's mentioned in that very article that first showed in the GTI. It is apparently a speaker.

Man, the purists couldn't be more offended if Porsche tried. Fake Porsche engine AND fake sound? The travesty!
Old 04-30-2018, 11:35 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

It's not just BMW. I believe Ford does this as well and there's certainly others.

I've been very curious as to what will happen in a decade or so when these cars have some blown speakers in them.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:07 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

I'll see your suggestion to google something and raise you an actual link (to another forum... that references the 718 technical manual): http://www.planet-9.com/718-chat/177...-actuator.html

Relevant text extracted from that post:

"In addition to the new exhaust systems, an electric sound actuator is responsible for creating a sporty Porsche-specific sound in the passenger compartment of the vehicle. The electric sound actuator is installed on the front engine cover in the passenger compartment. It is activated by way of a separate control unit connected with the CAN bus. This control unit is located at the rear left of the luggage compartment.
Electric sound actuator 2_24_17
The goal of the sound actuator is to support/enrich the engine-specific sound, whereby the acoustic component of the sound actuator should harmonize with the sound of the engine and exhaust system depending on load, engine speed and driving speed."

I've read that article you reference, and I tried to be specific in suggesting that we weren't talking about the 981. The 718 has the "soundaktor" that's mentioned in that very article that first showed in the GTI. It is apparently a speaker.

Man, the purists couldn't be more offended if Porsche tried. Fake Porsche engine AND fake sound? The travesty!
Sorry, I wasn’t referring to the 718. I don’t know what they’re doing on the 718, but it wouldnt surprise me if they were faking everything. Anything to cover the awful sound coming out of the tailpipe would be an improvement. Same with the BMW M4; anything that covers up that horrendous sound coming out of the tailpipe is a good thing.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:14 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Sorry, I wasn’t referring to the 718. I don’t know what they’re doing on the 718, but it wouldnt surprise me if they were faking everything. Anything to cover the awful sound coming out of the tailpipe would be an improvement. Same with the BMW M4; anything that covers up that horrendous sound coming out of the tailpipe is a good thing.
You're so dramatic.

Like I suggest to everyone else; take away the comparison to previous gen models and any hurt feelings you may have about "a $100k 4-cylinder", and is the sound really THAT bad?

Most reasonable people would agree it is not.

Back on topic, I personally have zero issue with added sound, be it natural or artificial. My wife's Macan actually sounds pretty damn great from the outside... but you can hear nothing from the inside. It pretty much prevents me from using the PDK in manual mode. I wouldn't mind a little extra aural feedback while still enjoying the relative silence inside the cabin. And I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is being compromised? Even with completely artificial sound being added from a recording... I think the consensus is even among the vocal "purists", that it's not that the sounds are "bad", it's the principal of it being artificial. Is that really what all the fuss is about?

That's pretty much a rhetorical question but I'm still trying to get a handle on why people feel so strongly about this.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:25 PM
Wild Weasel
Drifting

Received 294 Likes on 168 Posts

Firstly, I agree with you. Having driven the 718 and 718S I don't think they sound horrible. Having owned a 981 Boxster GTS, I can conclusively say they don't sound remotely as good, but then again, very few things do.

On their own merits, they sound fine. While driving them, even on a track, I never thought "Man, that sounds bad". I also never thought "OMG this sounds really good!!" It is what it is. People who don't know better should rightly love the way they sound.

As for the next part... if you're playing sounds through a speaker, you're faking it. That's all there is to it. I think it's stupid. Beautifully sounding engines enthrall us. You can't fake that and pretend it's the same thing. I'm quite ok with tubes and baffles and anything else they do to manipulate the sound. I'm not ok with just playing sounds through the speakers.

Finally... if they ARE gonna do that... I want it configurable. I want to switch it from GT3RS flat six to Hellcat V8 to Ferrari V8 to whatever the hell that sound is that the Jetson's cars made. I mean why not have some fun with it? If you're going to play fake sounds, let's not try to pretend it can only make that one sound you've chosen. Let us choose.
Old 05-01-2018, 03:42 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

You're so dramatic.

Like I suggest to everyone else; take away the comparison to previous gen models and any hurt feelings you may have about "a $100k 4-cylinder", and is the sound really THAT bad?

Most reasonable people would agree it is not.
Dont want to start the old argument, but yes I think the sound out of the tailpipe is horrendous. I’m shocked they couldn’t do better, given all the turbo cars out there that sound much better.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:16 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
It's not just BMW. I believe Ford does this as well and there's certainly others.

I've been very curious as to what will happen in a decade or so when these cars have some blown speakers in them.
Bentley GT's fabricate(d) the sound as well. Stupid.
Old 05-01-2018, 04:40 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Back on topic, I personally have zero issue with added sound, be it natural or artificial. My wife's Macan actually sounds pretty damn great from the outside... but you can hear nothing from the inside. It pretty much prevents me from using the PDK in manual mode. I wouldn't mind a little extra aural feedback while still enjoying the relative silence inside the cabin. And I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is being compromised? Even with completely artificial sound being added from a recording... I think the consensus is even among the vocal "purists", that it's not that the sounds are "bad", it's the principal of it being artificial. Is that really what all the fuss is about?
I agree, for the most part. My BMW is a good example of this. It's built and insulated very well. The extra aural feedback is great. Keep out the road and tire noise while still giving me information about how the engine is working. I guarantee precisely no average person would have any idea it was not the actual engine noise unless told so. My wife refused to believe me when I told her!

Originally Posted by Wild Weasel
Finally... if they ARE gonna do that... I want it configurable. I want to switch it from GT3RS flat six to Hellcat V8 to Ferrari V8 to whatever the hell that sound is that the Jetson's cars made. I mean why not have some fun with it? If you're going to play fake sounds, let's not try to pretend it can only make that one sound you've chosen. Let us choose.
You can code a BWM to do that. Well, not that extensively, but within the BMW family. You can code it off or to an M3, M4, X5M, etc. I haven't done that.

Quick Reply: 718 Artificial Engine Noise Speakers? Road & Track Mag