Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Would you trade-in your 981 Spyder for the new "Carrera Speedster"

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 10:09 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes. It is a $500,000 car at the very least.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:05 PM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Thanks to all!

Thank you very, very much for your comments. My SA is still telling me I'm #1 for an allocation.....that's if they get one, and if they produce it. The northern NJ weather today was beautiful and I spent most of it doing what I enjoy (2nd most). Because I had to remain at my house I took 4 hours cleaning and pampering my Spyder. And I must say it looks awesome even before I did anything!

As an aside, my older brother is a Harley-Davidson addict! Ever since I can remember he's had at least one in his garage. Last summer I took him out in my Spyder, top down (of course). Approaching the on-ramp to love-able Route 80, I took the opportunity to floor the gas and rev up the tach. My brother, who never, ever has said anything about the cars I drive said, "This car is incredible. I feel like I'm on my bike"! I felt great! I kinda think it would be a different feeling with a Speedster. Not necessarily bad, but different.

Thanks again!!
Old 04-27-2018, 12:37 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

No way.....991 Speedster equals show car, not go car. Spyder equals go car and show car, nuff said. Keep the Spyder and be happy. Maybe buy a second older Porsche, the money you save on depreciation can be spent for the storage.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:22 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Would take in a heart beat, but they will land in 918 owners hands.
Old 04-27-2018, 02:28 PM
Andial
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DannieK
Thank you very, very much for your comments. My SA is still telling me I'm #1 for an allocation.....that's if they get one, and if they produce it. The northern NJ weather today was beautiful and I spent most of it doing what I enjoy (2nd most). Because I had to remain at my house I took 4 hours cleaning and pampering my Spyder. And I must say it looks awesome even before I did anything!

As an aside, my older brother is a Harley-Davidson addict! Ever since I can remember he's had at least one in his garage. Last summer I took him out in my Spyder, top down (of course). Approaching the on-ramp to love-able Route 80, I took the opportunity to floor the gas and rev up the tach. My brother, who never, ever has said anything about the cars I drive said, "This car is incredible. I feel like I'm on my bike"! I felt great! I kinda think it would be a different feeling with a Speedster. Not necessarily bad, but different.

Thanks again!!
If you are not a 918 owner, you won't get one.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:04 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Honestly, no I wouldn’t. Speedster too expensive and wouldn’t be as fun to drive. And it’s not as beautiful either.

Qualification: If new Speedster is GT3 cabriolet for all intents and purposes, then sure, it will be great to drive. But even if so, I’d rather have a GT3 Touring and my 981 Spyder, which combined will cost less than a new Speedster and individually are more beautiful. And that’s exactly what I will have.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:36 AM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lapis
Honestly, no I wouldn’t. Speedster too expensive and wouldn’t be as fun to drive. And it’s not as beautiful either.

Qualification: If new Speedster is GT3 cabriolet for all intents and purposes, then sure, it will be great to drive. But even if so, I’d rather have a GT3 Touring and my 981 Spyder, which combined will cost less than a new Speedster and individually are more beautiful. And that’s exactly what I will have.
I've come to the conclusion that I agree with the majority. Keep the Spyder! I want to drive my cars, not "baby" them. I jumped through a lot of hoops just to find one on a dealer's lot as a spec car with <10 miles on it .....and with the build I wanted.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:56 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

There has never been a good looking Speedster in the history of Porsche, so no. Just because a car is rare doesn’t mean it’s awesome. The last Carrera Speedster was an awful design that people went gaga over just because it was limited. The Porsche marketing machine.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:30 AM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I reckon this new one could actually be the first good looking one. And if it's a GT3 Touring Cab with the RS engine then that's the perfect combo for me and I'd swap.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:02 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby921
Absolutely not. The Boxster Spyder is an attractive car. The 911 Speedster is a bloated aberration.
LOL this. I saw a Speedster and was not impressed. Looked like one of those stag beetles or something. That rear was gigantic. I mean if you are a kIm Kardashian fan go for it. She looks like a disproportionate woman to me. No way I would swap my Spyder for any 911 unless I all of a sudden can afford a GT3.
Old 04-28-2018, 11:22 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
There has never been a good looking Speedster in the history of Porsche, so no. Just because a car is rare doesn’t mean it’s awesome. The last Carrera Speedster was an awful design that people went gaga over just because it was limited. The Porsche marketing machine.
While I do think the 89 Speedster is beautiful I agree that what came after never looked right. The 997 was undoubtedly the worst design yet and based upon the pictures I’ve seen of the new one I think it will be more of the same. The 991 is just too big and by adding double humps the car looks disproportionate in the back. Back when I was living in MA there was a blue one at the dealer that sat there for over a year. The R8 Spyder that sat next to it was a much better looking car IMHO.
Old 04-28-2018, 12:00 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

There has never been a good looking Speedster in the history of Porsche, so no. Just because a car is rare doesn’t mean it’s awesome.

I'll challenge you there. Not even the original 356 version??
Old 04-28-2018, 02:00 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH

I'll challenge you there. Not even the original 356 version??
you got me there. I’m referring to the Carrera models. Just horrifically ugly cars.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:13 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

I sold 981 Spyder for gt3.2 Manual pts gt3.. and while gt3 is a more serious car, the spyder was simply more fun to drive. Especially with engine mods.. there is nothing below $200k which can touch it.

If you think you can get a Speedster go for it.. but you'd have to be 918 VIP circle owner to get one most likely... but I wouldn't trade spyder for gt3.
Old 04-30-2018, 12:16 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

you got me there. I’m referring to the Carrera models. Just horrifically ugly cars.
Okay, now you've got my vote.

Quick Reply: Would you trade-in your 981 Spyder for the new "Carrera Speedster"