Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling all plenum mod cars in Cali or ny that need state inspection sticker

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 02:08 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Calling all plenum mod cars in Cali or ny that need state inspection sticker

First I’m an unfortunate resident of ny which ny, the dmv just re upped their technology in the state emissions testing this year. From what I hear Ca has same issues

so I have on my 2016 981 spyder ipd plenum / gt3 TB , kline 200 cell cats and cobb

i took my car out of hibernation this weekend and needed to get my ny state inspection renewed

I always go to my local pcar dealer , bc they take good care of me

that said new ny protocol is have pcar dealer run a Piwi diagnostics to make sure there are no error codes and the car is in good standing to get the state inspection sticker but we know that the plenum throws a mass air flow sensor error , thus erroring out the porsche diagnostic. So my car won’t pass the initial diagnostic test. Thus far I have been told my only option is to put old plenum n Tb back on which is a pia especially if you have to do this every year

i spoke to cobb , they can not play w the mapping bc that would be tampering w emissions .

Welcome any ideas

Old 04-23-2018, 02:13 PM
RideOn
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
First I’m an unfortunate resident of ny which ny, the dmv just re upped their technology in the state emissions testing this year. From what I hear Ca has same issues

so I have on my 2016 981 spyder ipd plenum / gt3 TB , kline 200 cell cats and cobb

i took my car out of hibernation this weekend and needed to get my ny state inspection renewed

I always go to my local pcar dealer , bc they take good care of me

that said new ny protocol is have pcar dealer run a Piwi diagnostics to make sure there are no error codes and the car is in good standing to get the state inspection sticker but we know that the plenum throws a mass air flow sensor error , thus erroring out the porsche diagnostic. So my car won’t pass the initial diagnostic test. Thus far I have been told my only option is to put old plenum n Tb back on which is a pia especially if you have to do this every year

i spoke to cobb , they can not play w the mapping bc that would be tampering w emissions .

Welcome any ideas

I have no answers but I do have a question. In your car's current setup, do you drive around with a check engine light on all the time due to the wrong plenum being on the car? If so, how will you ever know if something more serious than the plenum issue is going on since the light would already be illuminated?
Old 04-23-2018, 02:15 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

No cel , cobbs mapping ignores just that error code too much air “p0068” so all the other ecu diagnostics behave the same
Old 04-23-2018, 02:34 PM
Beantown Kman
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm in MA and I have the same issue. Result? Uninstall and reinstall the plenum and TB once a year.
Old 04-23-2018, 03:27 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Whoa that's news to me. So the plenum seems like a mod to avoid! Already it is sort of questionable whether it really contributes to anything but now this takes the cake.

Surely there has to be a way to get rid of the p0068 code. I assume it's the ECU that is throwing the code. So couldn't someone who does custom Cobb tunes on a dyno be able to do something about it? Logic would dictate to me that they would have access to the ECU and they could do something about it? Or am I talking nonsense?
Old 04-23-2018, 03:27 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Register in Vt ?
Old 04-23-2018, 03:31 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
Whoa that's news to me. So the plenum seems like a mod to avoid! Already it is sort of questionable whether it really contributes to anything but now this takes the cake.

Surely there has to be a way to get rid of the p0068 code. I assume it's the ECU that is throwing the code. So couldn't someone who does custom Cobb tunes on a dyno be able to do something about it? Logic would dictate to me that they would have access to the ECU and they could do something about it? Or am I talking nonsense?
The mod is the best ! Especially when done w manifolds n cobb. But per cobb by messing with the ecu to get rid of error p0068 , would be tampering thus illegal instead of having the ecu ignore

Trending Topics

Old 04-23-2018, 03:34 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

...cobbs ignores just that error code...too much air “p0068”
How could that even be legal? These tuners walk a fine line, I guess.
Old 04-23-2018, 05:04 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
How could that even be legal? These tuners walk a fine line, I guess.

because they are not cheating the system , error code is there but just telling the car not to light up the cel
Old 04-23-2018, 05:06 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

telling the car not to light up the cel

Yeah, I'm sort of thinking that's the illegal part. Like removing the MIL bulb. But what do I know.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:35 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Yeah, I'm sort of thinking that's the illegal part. Like removing the MIL bulb. But what do I know.
Yeah agreed. That is surprising to me. I will ask around my local P car tuners and see what they say. They work with Fabspeed quite a lot and have installed some of those gt450 packages so they should be familiar with this situation since the plenum is part of that upgrade. I am very curious now!
Old 04-25-2018, 12:30 AM
TheBucketOfTruth
Burning Brakes

Received 245 Likes on 149 Posts

Sharkwerks is in CA and did EVOMS RS350 kits on Caymans with the plenum and throttle body, so maybe they'd have some info too.

Quick Reply: Calling all plenum mod cars in Cali or ny that need state inspection sticker