Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front radiator fans

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2018, 08:05 AM
Audioi
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Front radiator fans

What’s up with the fan design? I have a dead fan due to poor design. The $561 fan is the same as a VW fan ($48) and located in a spot that’s subjected to picking up small stones. These stones get sucked in between the motor covers and lodge it in a non working position. I would think that Porsche would use a better design. Anyone else have an issue with these?
Old 04-22-2018, 10:06 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

For completeness can you share the old and new fan part numbers.
Old 04-22-2018, 02:52 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

This is not a common failure mode that I'm aware of. Sucks though when it happens.
Old 04-23-2018, 12:32 PM
Audioi
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Old fan is still in the car but appears the same to me. I will be able to tell more once I get it out. Since the fan is in front of the tire I would think that it would be a sealed motor housing. I have seen sealed motors in lessor cars and they seem to make more sense for this application. Glad its not a common fault as it gets pricey especially with the install.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:44 PM
kyflatsixfan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Audioi
Old fan is still in the car but appears the same to me. I will be able to tell more once I get it out. Since the fan is in front of the tire I would think that it would be a sealed motor housing. I have seen sealed motors in lessor cars and they seem to make more sense for this application. Glad its not a common fault as it gets pricey especially with the install.
Audioi:

Just removed my front bumper cover: and during the removal, decided to remove the front wheels along with the front half of the inner fender liner. 5 extra bolts for removal of the liner.....
'14 BS, and didn't see any indications of excessive contaminants anywhere on or around the fan motor or blades. Seems the liner is doing a pretty good job of venting the fan along with keeping debris out.

At this point I'm thinking that removing the wheel/tire, and the front half of the liner, would allow access for a fan R&R.

Quick Reply: Front radiator fans