Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Michelin Sport 4s

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 12:59 AM
rdboxster
Rennlist Member

Received 232 Likes on 168 Posts
Default Michelin Sport 4s

Reading on the 718 forum that new GTS are coming with the Michelin Sport 4s. My 2015 BGTS has the P-zeros which I am not too fond of. The rears are worn and will need to be replaced soon. Anyone replaced the P-zeros with the new Michelin 4s? Even though the front have a lot of tread thinking I may swap all 4.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:04 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I have PS2’s which I’m very happy with. I’ve heard the 4S are similar in feel to the PS2 but have superior dry/wet grip.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:29 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

According to the comprehensive tyre tests in Germany the difference between the Pirelli and the new Michelin in the "N" approval spec is minimal. Unless you are pushing it to the absolute limit it probably would be unnoticeable. I've always loved Michelins but my dealer said "Why? The Pirellis are better."

I wouldn't go with different brands front/rear though--this is not recommended.
Old 04-16-2018, 05:50 AM
danzibar
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GregWormald
According to the comprehensive tyre tests in Germany the difference between the Pirelli and the new Michelin in the "N" approval spec is minimal. Unless you are pushing it to the absolute limit it probably would be unnoticeable. I've always loved Michelins but my dealer said "Why? The Pirellis are better."

I'm in the same boat as the OP, while my N0 Pirellis have done quite well on the track, on damp UK bumpy roads they are miserable. I've driven an M2 and Focus RS on pilot super sports and they were brilliant hence my aspiration to make the switch.

Could you provide a link / source for these tests? I realise that there are now N1 versions of the Pirellis I have (which I assume are the ones they were testing with), so if they are close in performance then I'll just upgrade to those instead. Everywhere I've read people have reported the PS4s's are fantastic so it might make for some good reading!
Old 04-16-2018, 06:17 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

There are a huge variety of tests (including the Auto Bild) at
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk
Old 04-16-2018, 06:42 AM
danzibar
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There are a huge variety of tests (including the Auto Bild) at
http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk
Thanks for providing me with lunch and toilet material

Sorry to be a pain, but I had a quick scan through and couldn't find the comparison you mentioned. I'll continue to read up on my own of course, but if you have the link handy then that would save me some time.

As it stands, more evidence that switching to some PS4s is the best all round decision! I have 1 more track day left of my Pirellis, so time to go out with a bang.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:55 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wet performance is where the Michelin will be outstanding. Over the weekend I had the fortune of driving through really bad weather in my Spyder and I would have liked a bit more confidence than my stock PZeros could provide. I definitely will be switching to Michelins once I run out of tire.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:06 AM
Smitten
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

On my 997.2 I went from Pirelli P Zero 295/30 ZR 19 rear, and 235/30 ZR 19 front to Michelin Pilot Supersports. Big improvement in every measure except wear, which was about the same. Then went to Michelin PS4s. I don't know yet how they'll wear but much better street-condition traits. Far, far better grip in the wet, similar grip in the dry, similar turn in and braking. Much, much quieter.

When I replace the PS2s on my wife's Boxster I will put on PS4s.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:07 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Ran through a set of N-spec PS2's on my Boxster S in 19's and loved them. Good grip, feel, road noise, and very impressive in driving rain. Now running PS4S's on those same wheels. Bought mine prior to release of N-spec, so I cannot comment on the Porsche version. All tires in standard recommended sizes.

I met the Michelin representatives at Parade in Vermont before the PS4S's came out and they were already pretty high on the release of the new tire. When I asked "so, what does it actually do better?" and they replied bluntly "everything, and we mean everything..." So far I'm quite pleased with them.

Dave

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone)
Old 04-16-2018, 09:37 AM
destroid
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Running the PS4S on my 987.2 Spyder this spring and they’ve been very consistent on cool and sandy back roads and warmer highway driving.
Currently at stock pressures and this is like a comfort mode. I think higher pressures will sharpen handling like on the PSS.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:45 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went from Pzero N spec to PS4S N spec on my 981S and the difference is ridiculous. In my experience and I highlight that, the statement above couldn’t be further from the truth. The Pzeros were hard as rocks in anything below 50 degrees, where the PS4S has good grip in the low 40’s, the wet performance was sub-par, but on autox they seemed ok, but didn’t have the ultimate grip of the PS series of tire. I couldn’t get those Pzeros off fast enough and so glad I did.

Old 04-16-2018, 11:59 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

I am ordering a set of the PS4S for my 981 S today. Since my wheels are F8.5"/R10" (OEM Turbo wheels), the OEM P Zero's in F235/R265 seem too narrow. I'm going with F245/R275 instead.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:25 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
I am ordering a set of the PS4S for my 981 S today. Since my wheels are F8.5"/R10" (OEM Turbo wheels), the OEM P Zero's in F235/R265 seem too narrow. I'm going with F245/R275 instead.
I recall someone suggesting 285 in the rear to keep the ratios between front and rear the same?
Old 04-16-2018, 01:30 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
I recall someone suggesting 285 in the rear to keep the ratios between front and rear the same?
285 will add 0.6" to the overall diameter while 275 only adds 0.3". I think the overall diameter is more important than a slight change in the front-to-rear ratio. If 245/275 does anything different from 235/265, the car will be slightly more tail happy which I won't mind.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:23 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Ok so I do have a question about the 4S related to weights. Has anyone compared them to the PS2? When I was reseraching tires I talked to my local shop and the guy mentioned the weight seemed really high.

Quick Reply: Michelin Sport 4s