Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2 bad air oil spereators in less than 500 mile??

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 06:27 PM
Allencox
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 bad air oil spereators in less than 500 mile??

Why are my air oil separators going bad? 2 bad in less than 500 miles. I noticed the puff of smoke on start up and so I changed the first one and original as far as I know. I did use an aftermarket brand on the first one. Drove it a little and no change thought it may have been let over residue, but never got any better. Bought the second one from Porsche dealer and put it in a couple of weeks ago. When I changed the second one I made sure I cleaned out hoses and intake to get all the oil out. Since the second one was installed I have driven about 100 miles and though I would pull the hoses and check for oil. Sure enough I find oil in the top of the air oil separator and a little in the hard plastic line going to in intake.
Why does it keep letting oil out the top? Has anyone else experienced this. I though i might have gotten a bad part on the first one but not 2 ack to back.
Many help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-14-2018, 07:11 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Overfill?
Old 04-14-2018, 08:02 PM
Allencox
4th Gear

I figured if was over filled that much I would have lost some oil when changing the air oil separator but I’ll double check.
Old 04-15-2018, 11:14 AM
G-forceGT4
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

You should review this thread along with Purewhite's journal entry on this issue.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...es-for-me.html
Old 04-15-2018, 01:43 PM
Allencox
4th Gear

One other problem that I’ve had since the first AOS went bad is rough idle on initial start up. Temp and weather finest matter. If the car has sit for say 18 hours or overnight, when I start It will idle up and then as it drops it misfires rattles shoulds like the motor is about to fall out the bottom of the car. I immediately turn it off and right back on and it runs fine. Drive to the stores turn off come out and start it runs fine. Only does this after cool down and sits.
I initially thought it was the oil residue from the bad AOS getting on the plugs and making it run bad on initial start up. So once it burned to oil off the plugs it ran fine. Now I’m thinking there is more to this.
Ive see other post similar but not found what has fixed others experiencing similar problem.
Any connection to my bad AOS?
Old 04-15-2018, 02:28 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Are you sure you had a bad AOS? I am a new guy to Porsches, got an '06 Cayman S about 8 months ago. My car smoked noticeably on startup occasionally. I was told by several PCA members that this is not unusual. The oil level showed completely full, i.e. no space at top of bar. I checked my crankcase pressure (failing AOS will cause higher crankcase pressure). Normal is 5-7 inches. Mine measured 5 inches so normal. Apparently it had a slight overfill since the oil level shows the small window at top, which I understand is normal, and the smoke has gone away.
Old 04-15-2018, 03:46 PM
Allencox
4th Gear

I actually am on the low side of oil. I based it on the fact the it was smoking on every startup at it had sit over night and found a considerable amount of oil in the hoses intake and top side of AOS.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:54 PM
RWPinNC
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 62 Posts

Understood. I was sort of "grasping at straws" for some positives. Good luck with the further issue.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:41 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

A little oil in the intake is considered normal operations. The AOS sends hot oil vapor to the cooler intake where it condenses. As for the smoke, how long after startup does it smoke for? Do you notice your oil level migrating lower, does your car burn oil?

Quick Reply: 2 bad air oil spereators in less than 500 mile??