Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   987 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum-125/)
-   -   Making the wife happy! (https://rennlist.com/forums/987-forum/1063387-making-the-wife-happy.html)

Audioi 04-12-2018 09:51 AM

Making the wife happy!

Whats the best way to calm down the tire noise coming from the back of a 981 Boxster, I am sure i'm not alone on this one?

Phil T 04-12-2018 10:32 AM

What tires do you have? Depending on what you have you could switch tires but that could come with some compromise in performance........Phil

Jim137a 04-12-2018 10:32 AM

What tires are you currently running .

Audioi 04-12-2018 10:57 AM

Pirelli Pzero almost new. I am looking for a way to isolate the noise first, if all else fails I could do Michelins.

PorscheAddict 04-12-2018 02:55 PM

It's honestly just a pretty loud car. Nothing wrong with that to me, but it is the most common gripe from journalists and such for the last 10 years. Michelins would probably be somewhat quieter, but it is not going to make it sound like an E Class (nothing).

chapmans 04-12-2018 03:11 PM

Get some PS4S they are pretty quiet, otherwise tell her it's a sports car and to deal with it.

Scooby921 04-12-2018 03:26 PM

Install sport exhaust and open valves to drown out tire noise with glorious exhaust notes?

I can't say I have tire noise issues with the Cayman. Porsche did a poor enough job directing air flow around the side mirror and windows that I get wind noise and buffeting more than I get tire noise.

daylorb 04-12-2018 03:33 PM

It is the tires. Sell the P-zero's and get something else. I haven't heard from many folks that like them in the first place, and they are known to be loud. I have PS4's on my Spyder and don't find them bad at all, but if quiet is more important than ultra high performance, check out this list: https://www.quiethomelab.com/best-quiet-tires/

Blu RS 04-12-2018 07:27 PM

I have Pirelli PZero from the factory on my 2016 Spyder and find that the tires themselves run surprisingly quiet if the pavement is fairly smooth asphalt. Move onto concrete or old asphalt and road noise picks up substantially to the point where conversation is challenged. I attribute this less to the tires and more to Porsche's inability or unwillingness to add more weight and rubber to damp down NVH: noise, vibration, harshness. So basically the noise problem lies more with the chassis than with the tires as far as I'm concerned. Having said that, I suppose it's more than possible that the new Michelin 4S will run quieter over rough pavement than the Pirellis but I doubt whether the difference will be sufficient to make your spouse happier. But it's probably less expensive to change the tires than it is to change the spouse (or the car), so good luck in your endeavor! LOL

golfnutintib 04-12-2018 07:39 PM

leave her at home :roflmao:

seriously.... look at continentals... they are about as quiet as a sports tire will get

Dave in Chicago 04-12-2018 07:51 PM

I have the PS4S on 19's on mine and they seem fine. Prior PS2's were fine too.

You gotta fix the issue. My wife got to the point of refusing to ride in the 968. 'Course this was after it became a spherical bearing, 10x spring rate, climb-over-the-cage, beast. Couldn't even convince her to make short summer evening ice cream runs anymore. #sad

Don't be like Dave. Don't let your car become disliked by your spouse. It helps nothing.

The Boxster S? No issues. She'll take it to work and on trips every chance she gets. Happiness is...

Dave

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone)

Keadog 04-12-2018 08:05 PM

Buy an S550. Pretty quiet.
Joke, sorta. I loved both my Boxsters but my wife thought they were “too small”. So I traded my ‘16 GTS on my current Targa and she didn’t complain at all during 1300 miles back and forth to Asheville last Fall. But the Benz has massaging seats...

Audioi 04-12-2018 08:27 PM

Think I will first try some sound absorbing materials and move on from there.

bkrantz 04-12-2018 10:47 PM

Put the top down?

javaperson 04-12-2018 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Audioi (Post 14938263)
Think I will first try some sound absorbing materials and move on from there.

I found that the interior was slightly loud when i got my car. I put some dynamat-type materials around the engine bay, in the trunk, and also on the wheel well liners (on the side facing car, not the tire). I forgot to measure the noise level before this work (only have it post-work), but it helped to quiet down the car a bit. There is still tire roar on certain types of pavement, as someone else mentioned, but it may help.