Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KEY FOB Replacement Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2018, 12:43 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default KEY FOB Replacement Suggestions

So I tried the search box and couldn't come up with anything. What are the best options/vendors for key fob replacements? Both of my Spyder keys are dead as a doornail. Hate to donate $600 to the Stealership if I don't have to.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:04 AM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 67 Posts

Did you replace the FOB batteries??
Old 04-12-2018, 12:29 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Viper pilot
Agree. You shouldn't need to replace the FOB itself. Just replace the batteries. Shouldn't even require reprogramming.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:54 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by Viper pilot
Originally Posted by Phil G.
Agree. You shouldn't need to replace the FOB itself. Just replace the batteries. Shouldn't even require reprogramming.
Hey Phil, good to see you still here.

Yes I replaced the batteries, 3 times, still acting like a low battery in both fobs (one had lost a button long ago). My key was working fine, then died suddenly one day. Replaced the battery and nothing changed, replaced it again and same deal. Red light flashes for less than a second when button is pushed but no dice. I'm now having to do everything manually.

I remember long ago, there being some low price vendors selling just skeletons but can't find anything these days (other than sketchy sellers on eBay).
Old 04-13-2018, 10:05 AM
Vlocity
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a similar problem with the car I just bought, one FOB is OK and the other was dead. I have changed batteries in the bad unit, the light flashes but it doesn't do anything.

I have searched to see if there was a way to have the unit relearn but haven't been able to find anything.

Riding along on your thread to see if you find a solution. My nearest dealer is a couple of hours away.
Old 04-14-2018, 10:46 AM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 796 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Vlocity
I have a similar problem with the car I just bought, one FOB is OK and the other was dead. I have changed batteries in the bad unit, the light flashes but it doesn't do anything.

I have searched to see if there was a way to have the unit relearn but haven't been able to find anything.

Riding along on your thread to see if you find a solution. My nearest dealer is a couple of hours away.
Other than replacing the battery, I have no answer. Have you tried doing a Search here? There are probably lots of threads in the different forums about this fairly common problem.

If you do go to a dealership, I Olmsted Porsche, which is not too far east of you. They do decent work and won't gouge you like Beechwood (Pensky) will.

Olmsted's loaners are also much nicer. At Olmsted, you get a Cayenne or Panamera (!). At Beechwood, if they give you a loaner at all, it will be a low-end Audi.
Old 04-14-2018, 04:27 PM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 96 Posts

I thought I had lost a key and asked my dealer about it...way too expensive! Got to bring car in so they can order the key. Then when it comes in there's more work they have to do. They said about $500 total. I looked harder and found the one I thought was lost...
Old 04-14-2018, 05:23 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
Hey Phil, good to see you still here.

Yes I replaced the batteries, 3 times, still acting like a low battery in both fobs (one had lost a button long ago). My key was working fine, then died suddenly one day. Replaced the battery and nothing changed, replaced it again and same deal. Red light flashes for less than a second when button is pushed but no dice. I'm now having to do everything manually.

I remember long ago, there being some low price vendors selling just skeletons but can't find anything these days (other than sketchy sellers on eBay).
Yep, I'm still here - took the 981S out of hibernation today. 82 degrees and sunny near Philly! Car ooks and runs as new!!
Old 04-19-2018, 11:22 AM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by Vlocity

I have our answer and it's great news!! Evidently they keys lose communication with the car sometimes and need to be "paired" again. Super easy, just insert the key and turn the ignition, while the ignition is turned press any of the buttons until the key pairs with the car. Voila!!

I will PM you with this info as well.
Old 04-19-2018, 02:23 PM
Viper pilot
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 67 Posts

Excellent info. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-19-2018, 03:06 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Thanks for the update, sounds like an easy and “free” fix, unusual for Porsche but good to hear!
Old 04-19-2018, 09:31 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:12 PM
medtech
Drifting

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Thanks for the update, sounds like an easy and “free” fix, unusual for Porsche but good to hear!
Afshin! You're still here! Awesome!

I have a feeling that the dealer would have scammed me on this, fortunately my Indy is porsche certified and trained and a walking encyclopedia.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:01 AM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I've replaced two batteries; one for my Spyder and the other for my previously owned Boxster S. Youtube had some great videos showing how to do it yourself and it really wasn't a problem. I do recall that it's easy not to make proper contact so that's something to be aware of. Both also didn't need to be reprogrammed. Apparently all of the important information was stored. All I had to do was reassemble it and they worked. I don't remember the type of battery, but I got it on Amazon for cheap. Good luck!
Old 04-22-2018, 03:33 PM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by medtech
I have our answer and it's great news!! Evidently they keys lose communication with the car sometimes and need to be "paired" again. Super easy, just insert the key and turn the ignition, while the ignition is turned press any of the buttons until the key pairs with the car. Voila!!

I will PM you with this info as well.
THIS!!! I have to say that I was thinking this was BUNK (&#128513 but I was at my wits end as to why my key fob had become SOOOO unreliable so I decided to give it a shot. I had changed batteries, cleaned and adjusted contacts, to no avail. I didn’t believe it needed to be “re-paired” because it WAS working, just intermittently. To make matters worse, my dealer (and Rennlist) had helped me figure out how to program the key fob on my 981 to lower and raise my windows (that’s a whole OTHER topic) - a feature that I had gotten VERY used to in hot Florida!!! Needless to say, an unreliable key fob made that feature USELESS. Anyway, this was EASY and fixed my problem, THANK YOU!!! -Dom

Quick Reply: KEY FOB Replacement Suggestions