Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Procedure for starting hibernated cars?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 06:00 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,935 Likes on 1,170 Posts

How many Honda's are stored each winter? Letting a car sit and run once a month is a bad idea especially in an unheated garage. Better off letting it sit for several months and putting a battery tender on it.
Old 04-04-2018, 07:13 PM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=. It's a machine not some hot chic!!! LOL[/QUOTE]

Foreplay Sir! Cars need it too....
Old 04-05-2018, 09:04 AM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
How many Honda's are stored each winter? Letting a car sit and run once a month is a bad idea especially in an unheated garage. Better off letting it sit for several months and putting a battery tender on it.
I'm sure the number is actually far closer to the number of Porsche's than you might think. Plenty of people have their modified cars, or just a rare or coveted model which they park for the winter. Honda sells more Civics than Porsche sells vehicles.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:55 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scooby921
I'm sure the number is actually far closer to the number of Porsche's than you might think. Plenty of people have their modified cars, or just a rare or coveted model which they park for the winter. Honda sells more Civics than Porsche sells vehicles.
No doubt they do sell more cars but I have never encountered a Honda owner who stores their car for the winter or cares if they need to spend a few grand for a rebuild. A couple of Acura NSX's and they seem more **** about this stuff than most 911 owners. I for one am not so worried about the boxster which is a warm weather DD but my older Porsche's are climbing in value exponentially and original engine in good running condition is a must for value. I would hate to do damage and have it end up costing me 10's of thousands in rebuild cost not to mention depreciation. It would appear the direct injected wet sump engines aren't a concern but never hurts to take care of what you own.
Old 04-05-2018, 10:03 PM
Scooby921
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
No doubt they do sell more cars but I have never encountered a Honda owner who stores their car for the winter or cares if they need to spend a few grand for a rebuild. A couple of Acura NSX's and they seem more **** about this stuff than most 911 owners. I for one am not so worried about the boxster which is a warm weather DD but my older Porsche's are climbing in value exponentially and original engine in good running condition is a must for value. I would hate to do damage and have it end up costing me 10's of thousands in rebuild cost not to mention depreciation. It would appear the direct injected wet sump engines aren't a concern but never hurts to take care of what you own.
I most certainly agree on your older cars. My thoughts / opinion was in regard to the 987 / 981 and DI engines being discussed here. I fully understand that the older cars need more car, not just because they are more valuable, but because things wear out and are expensive (as you said). Now I used to run around with the import crowd as I once had a Subaru Impreza WRX, back before "stance" and vaping were the norm for d-bag Subaru owners. I know plenty of people with Civics and other seemingly cheap cars which were garaged in the winters. It's true that those engines are much cheaper, but then if they had that much money lying around they probably wouldn't be driving a hopped up Civic. Economies of scale.

There are people out there daily driving a Cayenne, Macan, Panamera, or even a 911 in the cold temps and winter weather. There is zero chance that Porsche designs their motors such that cold start and drive off are going to grenade them. Half the cars they sell wouldn't last a year. Couple this with advancements in fluid technologies (oils and such) and new engines are much, much more robust and durable than anything prior. Sure some engine designs get things wrong (Porsche IMS bearings, Ford with the Focus RS heads / gaskets, GM with cooling issues on the C7 Z06). But as a whole the technology improvements relieve us of most things we used to worry about. Manufacturers also do a lot more work to test and validate the products for such things. My employer shares a winter vehicle testing facility with Ford. I watch them pull vehicles out of a drive-in cooler (climate controlled quonset hut that'll go to -40 degrees) and immediately launch them at WOT and run them up to redline to test the engine and driveline components.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:39 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

^^^ My concern was based on possible lack of lubrication from sitting. I have seen a lot of 987 engines detonate from lack of lube but that is usually on track. I am not worried about temps or other conditions. I looked into this further and unlike the air cooled cars or any of the newer metzger engined cars which can build oil pressure by cranking them without supplying fuel to help pre lube them, pulling the fuel pump fuse on these won't build enough oil pressure to do anything. So start, warm and drive is the best procedure.

It is hard to break a 40 year old habit and after owning the others for a long time I just wanted to make sure the 981GTS stays around with them as I don't plan to buy another unless they revert back to N/A vs 4 banger turbo.
Old 04-06-2018, 04:17 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts

There was an over the top **** article in the last Pano. I usually just check the tire pressure, check the oil and start it up.

Quick Reply: Procedure for starting hibernated cars?