Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catless Headers 987.2

Old 03-29-2018, 12:32 AM
dovecom
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Angry Catless Headers 987.2

Has anyone installed catless headers on their 987? I have a persistent Fault Code from an O2 sensor. I have mini-cats on the downstream sensors, one side is fine, the other (left bank) always a problem. I've swapped out to another cat, re-installed another gasket at the muffler joint, etc. Will this ever work?

Also, is there a better place to find 987 information? This feels like a 981 only forum.

K
Old 03-29-2018, 08:20 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

987.2 and 981 engines are the same anyway, but if you're talking about the little spacers with cats in them those are not fool proof. Your only sure way to have no CEL is a tune (also adds a nice power boost). I have catless headers and Cobb tune and it works great.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:27 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

^ This - an ECU tune is imperative and definitely worth the cost.

Who's headers are you running? I would contact them to ask which tune they recommend as there are many options.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:00 PM
dovecom
Advanced

NHP with their 2 into 1 tailpipe also. Not using little spacers. Well yes, spacers but with soda can sized cat on top. Why does it work fine on one side and not the other? They claim their setup won’t set off CEL.

i have also deleted the air intake baffle and installed a performance filter. Thought I’d wait on the tune until after I get the last piece, a better intake plenum and GT3 throttle body. Any reason I have to tune now? Should be fine until I get the plenum.

Looking at the data data on the computer I just don’t see why that sensor is faulting.

Thanks for your replies. That’s very helpful.

Fwiw I’m very disappointed in Durametric. You really need the pro version to do anything. Base version is pitiful.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:11 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

There is no reason to wait to tune. Unless you're truly getting a custom tune on a dyno, the only difference between tunes (Cobb, for example, but also others) are stage 1 for stock emissions and stage 2 for catless. They self-adjust for the small differences such as plenum (also does not add much at all, research that). The smaller cats added just to defeat CEL's are not completely reliable, as you're seeing. The car will also run better with a tune.
Old 03-30-2018, 01:32 AM
dovecom
Advanced

Btw, COBB does NOT have a tune for this car. Anyone familiar with good tunes for the 2.9L engine?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Catless Headers 987.2