Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got this done... no dirty valves for me

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 07:49 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Finally got this done... no dirty valves for me

So I used a nice morosso air oil sep and fittings... and followed Pure Whites instructions, but made my own mount so that it would fit on the existing studs that appear to have been put there for me. No dirty valves for this car. I need it to last for the rest of my life.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:53 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
So I used a nice morosso air oil sep and fittings... and followed Pure Whites instructions, but made my own mount so that it would fit on the existing studs that appear to have been put there for me. No dirty valves for this car. I need it to last for the rest of my life.

Can you share the part number of that Moroso air-oil separator please?
Old 03-28-2018, 07:57 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Old 03-28-2018, 08:10 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Moroso 85474
Part Number: 710-85474

at Jegs...

I had to buy the brass fittings online.

other parts got from Pure White's GT4 post here

except the bracket, I made that from aluminum
Old 03-28-2018, 08:59 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Pure white thread...

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=93689
Old 03-28-2018, 11:54 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Still waiting to see evidence of the expected epidemic of dirty valves that has long been prophesied by certain engine rebuilders.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:40 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah Fect
Still waiting to see evidence of the expected epidemic of dirty valves that has long been prophesied by certain engine rebuilders.
Yeah is this a documented issue? I know some engines (like the V8 in the B7 RS4) had problems with carbon buildup but hadn't heard of it with the 981. Every DI engine is gonna have some buildup.
Old 03-29-2018, 07:41 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

All the direct injection cars I had worked on have it. Mine won't.

"Every DI engine is gonna have some buildup." - Not mine.

Why would you take the word of the Engineer - Porsche Mechanic when denial leading to inaction is so much easier?
Old 03-29-2018, 10:20 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Interesting thread. Can some please give me some background info on this? I am a mere Porsche owner with mechanical abilities dating back to the 60' and 70's. Thank you.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:57 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by blacksheepSpyder
All the direct injection cars I had worked on have it. Mine won't.

"Every DI engine is gonna have some buildup." - Not mine.

Why would you take the word of the Engineer - Porsche Mechanic when denial leading to inaction is so much easier?
Not sure where you got the "not mine" part from. Plus I specifically didn't deny it, just wondering about its real-world impact. In other words, is this problem severe enough where the loss in hp is going to be noticeable in daily driving?
Old 03-29-2018, 03:45 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
Not sure where you got the "not mine" part from. Plus I specifically didn't deny it, just wondering about its real-world impact. In other words, is this problem severe enough where the loss in hp is going to be noticeable in daily driving?
I'd be willing to bet a donut that if you did a dyno run on a 981 engine with 50,000 miles on it before and after a walnut shell cleaning of the intake ports you will see a statistically significant increase in power after the cleaning. Can you tell this in daily driving? Don't know. The deposit buildup is so gradual you probably will not be able to tell it by butt dyno over the several years it takes to build up. I was in the top of my engine area last week and removed the tube for inspection that leads from the air-oil separator to the intake manifold and it was completely coated in oil, although none came dripping out quickly when I tipped it up on end. My finger inside the hole in the intake manifold where the tube connects found a wet oily coating as well. This is all normal, my car does not consume oil at any discernible rate between oil changes of 3k to 4k miles, including track day use in there as well. If you don't plan to keep a car very long, it's probably not worth thinking about. I plan to keep mine a long time.
Old 03-29-2018, 04:07 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

I haven't looked into the technicalities of what you have.. Does it still provide a partial vacuum for the crankcase?
Old 03-29-2018, 05:46 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by okie981
I'd be willing to bet a donut that if you did a dyno run on a 981 engine with 50,000 miles on it before and after a walnut shell cleaning of the intake ports you will see a statistically significant increase in power after the cleaning. Can you tell this in daily driving? Don't know. The deposit buildup is so gradual you probably will not be able to tell it by butt dyno over the several years it takes to build up. I was in the top of my engine area last week and removed the tube for inspection that leads from the air-oil separator to the intake manifold and it was completely coated in oil, although none came dripping out quickly when I tipped it up on end. My finger inside the hole in the intake manifold where the tube connects found a wet oily coating as well. This is all normal, my car does not consume oil at any discernible rate between oil changes of 3k to 4k miles, including track day use in there as well. If you don't plan to keep a car very long, it's probably not worth thinking about. I plan to keep mine a long time.
Are we talking Krispy Kreme or the ones that come in a pink box from the hole in the wall around the corner?

I agree there'll be a difference in performance, but it's really about how much. Personally I do plan on keeping mine for a long time but if I'm losing 20 hp at 7k RPM, I'm not gonna worry about it. If I'm losing 40 hp at 4k RPM, then yeah, that's something to address. In the meantime, I'm mitigating it by making sure the oil comes to temp every time I drive, drive it hard once in a while but never exceeding redline. Babying it isn't in the way to go.

I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers add intake valve cleaning as a maintenance item done at specific internals. But with the ICE in decline, maybe not.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:24 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
I wouldn't be surprised if manufacturers add intake valve cleaning as a maintenance item done at specific internals. But with the ICE in decline, maybe not.
Audi tried to convince me to spring for it when my 2012 A4 hit 30K miles.
Old 03-29-2018, 09:07 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jscott82
I haven't looked into the technicalities of what you have.. Does it still provide a partial vacuum for the crankcase?
I can't see how there's any partial vacuum at any time in the crankcase with the AOS vented through a filter to atmospheric pressure. With the OEM setup, when your throttle is wide open, I don't think there's much vacuum in the line from the intake manifold to the AOS, but at part throttle, yes. The AOS that d00d used in his GT4 Pure White Journal thread made by Mann-Hummel is rated for engines up to 325 hp and the amount of crankcase blow-by gasses they can generate, with reserve to spare. Not much chance for pressure to buildup in the crankcase. The Mann-Hummel AOS also has a pressure relief safety valve to prevent pressure buildup through it's gas flow routes.

Quick Reply: Finally got this done... no dirty valves for me