Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Took my 981 CS up the California Coast for Radwood

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2018, 05:26 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Fantastic photo Journal man, I really appreciate those that take the time to do this for the rest of us! These are the "dad's boring slideshows" that Porsche enthusiasts like us could watch all day.

Perhaps I missed it if you mentioned this already, but did you do the trip solo? I'm planning a much shorter (about 400 miles) weekend road trip in the Cayman with my wife in the fall to the mountains to see the colors on the leaves change, but I am really wanting to drive the Tail of the Dragon and if I can't get any car buddies to take the time off with me I may do that one solo. It's about an 8 hour trip one direction, so also shorter than the one you just took, but I'd probably stretch it out over 3-4 days.

​​​Driving the Pacific Coast Highway (playing Pebble Beach on one end and hitting up wine country on the other) is a bucket list item for me.
Thanks! Yeah these threads also serve as a fun way for me to re-live the events in the future.

I was solo and for these kinds of trips, it's the only way to do it right unless your passenger is also a photographer or really patient. In the past, the girlfriends were all about taking the shortest route, which is often times incredibly boring. "Just take the 5, we'll get there sooner!" I also take tons of photos to get the right one, then delete the rest. I took about 300 on this trip and saved around 30.

I guess if you're asking about whether or not you should do Tail of the Dragon solo, I say yes. Seems like you have time to stretch it out and if you can drive on it in the middle of the week, that'd be ideal. Plus sometimes it's nice setting your own schedule and doing exactly what you want.

Quick Reply: Took my 981 CS up the California Coast for Radwood