Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

End of Warranty on my 981 Cayman

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2018, 04:56 PM
jmh981
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default End of Warranty on my 981 Cayman

So, the warranty on my car ends in May of this year and I need to weigh my options. According to my dealer, my 4 year service will run around $1400 and if I want to extend the warranty two years its an additional $3500, with a reduced fee of $100 for the warranty inspection.

Now I'm looking at a one-time outlay of over [with taxes] $5000 to drive with some piece of mind, mindful that PDK and / or major engines issues will run 20 - 30 thousand! I've heard the counter arguments before - pocket the cost of warranty and bank it for future needs if problems arise but it still would never come anywhere close to covering catastrophic repair costs. Sure, I could afford those costs in the end, although it would certainly make the ownership experience seem like a huge money-pit...........lol, that kinda sums up Porsche ownership though, doesn't it?

How have others approached this stage of ownership? I know that most of this comes down to risk tolerance and such but I'd be interested in hearing some feedback from other forumers.

Cheers.

Last edited by jmh981; 03-27-2018 at 05:15 PM.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:24 PM
KBell
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 453 Likes on 299 Posts

These are very solid and reliable cars.
Not many problems have been discussed on Rennlist for the 981.
If maintained well and not abused, then keep driving.
Avoid the extended warranty.
You will be fine.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:11 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

^ I agree. You know your car. Don’t imagine problems that will likely never exist.

And if the Porsche does go belly up sell the roller and use the $5k to buy a beater Subaru. Life will go on.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:45 PM
gla
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

By coincidence the four year warranty on my 2014 Cayman S expires today. The Porsche dealer I bought it from offered me a free inspection last week to see if they could spot any issues prior to the warranty expiration. They didn't. They have never serviced the car as I do it myself. The only prior contact they have had with the car was to sell it to me and do an instrument cluster update about a year into my ownership. I have never had any issues in four years. Never added additional oil, nothing. I have done all the required maintenance in a timely fashion. I think it is very unlikely that a well maintained Porsche that is not abused would incur any expenses beyond the normal scheduled maintenance in the next two years. I think there would be a near zero likelihood a person would spend $5,000. Now it could happen, you could also get hit by falling space rubble, but probably not. I'm going with the odds. In the end you have to do what makes you the most comfortable and keeping more of my money does it for me. Good luck with the decision.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:46 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Self insure. Take care of the car. Drive it like it was designed to be driven, high RPMs regularly, don't exceed redline. Don't overheat it. Don't run low on any oils anywhere. Enjoy.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:06 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

Basically, warranty covers defects in parts and workmanship, not normal wear and tear. If a car has defect in parts and workmanship, a symptom would appear rather sooner than later. Unless the car has only been driven a few thousand miles in the past 4 years or something extreme like that, I wouldn't worry about it. If something was to go wrong, it would have gone wrong in the first 20-30K miles.
Old 03-28-2018, 02:49 PM
jmh981
Instructor

Thanks for the replies folks!
Old 03-28-2018, 03:24 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

And now would be the time to throw in some headers, a Cobb tune a plenum and throttle body

PS - Woodstock as in Georgia?
Old 03-28-2018, 08:39 PM
jmh981
Instructor

GWN - Ontario...
Old 03-29-2018, 01:59 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Put me in the "don't buy the extended" warranty camp. I've recently had 2 issues that were covered under warranty (needed a new brake booster and had a leak at the clutch master cylinder), but nothing engine related. Don't expect any either. Currently at 11k miles.

For what it's worth, the 4-year service should be new plugs, oil & filter change, brake fluid flush, and new cabin and engine air filters.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:33 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by jmh981
So, the warranty on my car ends in May of this year and I need to weigh my options. According to my dealer, my 4 year service will run around $1400 and if I want to extend the warranty two years its an additional $3500, with a reduced fee of $100 for the warranty inspection.

Now I'm looking at a one-time outlay of over [with taxes] $5000 to drive with some piece of mind, mindful that PDK and / or major engines issues will run 20 - 30 thousand! I've heard the counter arguments before - pocket the cost of warranty and bank it for future needs if problems arise but it still would never come anywhere close to covering catastrophic repair costs. Sure, I could afford those costs in the end, although it would certainly make the ownership experience seem like a huge money-pit...........lol, that kinda sums up Porsche ownership though, doesn't it?

How have others approached this stage of ownership? I know that most of this comes down to risk tolerance and such but I'd be interested in hearing some feedback from other forumers.

Cheers.
I'm 2 years out of warranty on my 2012 987.2 Black Edition S. No big deal, certainly not worth $5,000. However mine is a manual so I don't have any info. on the reliability of the PDK's.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:10 AM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

And there are even exceptions. Porsche replaced a $$$$part$$$$ on my car a full year out of warranty because it was such a really odd thing. Granted, my dealer had a hand in it and I am very grateful. But it does seem like the Mothership listens and can act on specific issues if they deserve it. (I should add this was my 981 2014 Base Cayman. Not my current GT4)

Quick Reply: End of Warranty on my 981 Cayman