Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure - '07 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 12:44 PM
frank_p
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Pressure - '07 Cayman S

Hi everyone,

Now that the weather is improving, I want to ask if anyone can tell me what the ideal tire pressure settings should be for front and rear (spring time weather)? It is lowered slightly, so not sure if that will make a difference, but wanted to make you aware. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Tire Specs:

Front: Michelin Pilot Super Sport (Summer)
235x35 ZR19 (Traction AA, Temperature A)

Rear: Michelin Pilot Super Sport (Summer)
265x35 ZR19 (Traction AA, Temperature A)

Last edited by frank_p; 03-25-2018 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:51 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

On street Porsche's using approved tire/wheel size (or very close to), I've always liked the recommended numbers stamped on the car. Really can't go too far wrong.

If you're unhappy, try moving one end at a time in 2 lb increments. But really, I've not found it to be necessary.

DE and track... whole 'nutha story...

Dave
Old 03-25-2018, 03:05 PM
frank_p
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
On street Porsche's using approved tire/wheel size (or very close to), I've always liked the recommended numbers stamped on the car. Really can't go too far wrong.

If you're unhappy, try moving one end at a time in 2 lb increments. But really, I've not found it to be necessary.

DE and track... whole 'nutha story...

Dave
Thanks!
Old 03-25-2018, 06:17 PM
Spokayman
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My ‘06 S with the same size tires/wheels calls for 32psi front and 37psi for the rear.
I tend to run 32/35 instead and I find it a good compromise between a too stiff ride and too loose handling.
I’m using Continental DW summer tires which should be similar to your Super Sports.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:26 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 363 Likes on 238 Posts

It's a coming misconception that lower pressure= more grip. It's actually the opposite (to a point). On track we may run lower starting pressures, but thats due to heat/pressure gain and the construction of slicks.

I agree with the previous advice, for all around street performance, you really can't go wrong with recommended pressures. If you are adventurous, you can tinker a couple of pounds to your liking.

Lower pressure gives better ride quality and wider slip angle so they feel better and are more forgiving, but at the expense of ultimate traction and fuel economy.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:39 PM
frank_p
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Spokayman
My ‘06 S with the same size tires/wheels calls for 32psi front and 37psi for the rear.
I tend to run 32/35 instead and I find it a good compromise between a too stiff ride and too loose handling.
I’m using Continental DW summer tires which should be similar to your Super Sports.
Thank you !
Old 03-25-2018, 07:41 PM
frank_p
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jscott82
It's a coming misconception that lower pressure= more grip. It's actually the opposite (to a point). On track we may run lower starting pressures, but thats due to heat/pressure gain and the construction of slicks.

I agree with the previous advice, for all around street performance, you really can't go wrong with recommended pressures. If you are adventurous, you can tinker a couple of pounds to your liking.

Lower pressure gives better ride quality and wider slip angle so they feel better and are more forgiving, but at the expense of ultimate traction and fuel economy.

Just my 2 cents.
Thank you - I've taken note of this in case I decide to also track the car. Didn't know that higher pressure can give you great handling also. I do not track the car at this point, it's for regular driving conditions, but a great point to stick with recommend tire pressure.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure - '07 Cayman S