Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 TPMS woes

Old 03-24-2018, 06:15 PM
850tgul
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 298 Posts
Default 987.2 TPMS woes

Hi all,

Just installed some new to me 19" Carrera S II wheels that I picked up from a forum member. These replaced my stock 18" Boxster S II wheels. The 18" wheels had working TPMS sensors, or at least I had no lights/warnings from them.
The new 19" were installed with different sensors that came with them and I was told they worked fine by the previous owner (he also had a 987.2).

I was fully expecting to have to reset the tpms when the new wheels & sensors went on and, sure enough, I got the message to reset via the on board computer.
To my surprise when I toggled through the options via the little steering wheel stock I have no option for TPMS (or TPM) even showing. Not even there to select it.

Referred to my owners manual and it points me to reset just as I tried via the lever but, again, I am missing the selection altogether.

Searching a bit indicates that some people have had tpms disabled via durametric. Odd though that if this was the case with my car (that is was disabled in the past) then why am I now getting a message to reset with the new wheels? Wouldn't I not get any message if it was disabled?

Thoroughly confused, hoping someone can chime in. Thx
Old 04-03-2018, 09:58 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 445 Likes on 331 Posts

Stupid question, but could you see your old tire pressures when you toggled the stalk? 987.2 TPMS sensors have built in batteries. It is possible that TPMS could have been disabled if one or more of the batteries failed, running track or snow tires and wheels and someone wanted to hide the TPMS error. It should be an easy check/reset for any Porsche shop using Durametric, PST2 or equivalent. You might want to verify the previous owner had a 987.2. They use 433 Mhz, earlier cars used 315 Mhz.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 987.2 TPMS woes