Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Have you bent a rim?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2018, 07:44 PM
Paul B
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Have you bent a rim?

Hi,
My 981S has the stock 19" wheels and tires, a toy that's not daily or winter driven, since I have to change the tires I'm considering going to 20's with stock size tires.
So am I being an idiot to consider going to 20's? Do you have them and have you ever damaged a rim or tire? I wouldn't consider this option for a winter driven car or even a daily driver.

Paul

Last edited by Paul B; 04-21-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:50 PM
beetleything
Racer

Old 03-23-2018, 07:54 PM
Paul B
AutoX

Originally Posted by beetleything
Whole different meaning here on the east coast
Paul
Old 03-23-2018, 08:39 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Hi Paul. You obviously don't get around much if your picture of "...by far the worst roads I've seen anywhere in North America." is any indication. Been to any of the NYC outer boroughs recently? More to the point, 19 inch wheels will definitely fair better then 20's on bad roads. That being said, I've not had any issues with bent rims using 20 inch rims. Just be very cautious particularly on highways.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:16 PM
Paul B
AutoX

The pic is just one I stole online, just a typical representation of local roads.

Paul

Last edited by Paul B; 04-21-2018 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:17 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

This was a GT4 rim. This is why I put the spyder wheels in boxes and bought some Forgelines.

GA1R in full polish
Old 03-23-2018, 09:42 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

18s
Old 03-23-2018, 11:25 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

I drive stock 18's with winter tires in the cold, stock 19's with summer tires in the warm... Year 'round daily driver on Chicago area roads. I have received one slight bend in one of the front 19's in the last two years... about 10,000 miles per year. Would not have noticed it had I not had to rebalance a very worn tire. It was not detectable at speeds well into the triple digits. Go figure.

The SP3 car bent one inner barrel (Fikse 3-piece forged centers/spun inner/outer) in 10+ seasons of fairly violent activity. Again, only truly detectable when observed spinning on a machine. Replaced and moved on. Go figure again.

Careful as you may be, you just can't predict when you might hit a surface imperfection just the right way to bend a rim. Mine where easily and inexpensively fixed. I'd say drive the wheel/tire combo that suits you best and live with the chances of occasional misfortune. Having the ride and handling being to your liking is worth the risk, IMHO. Get that bit right and you get to enjoy it every turn of the wheel.

It should go without saying that quality wheels/tires are important. Porsche spec or better. Good luck.

Dave

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone)
Old 03-24-2018, 01:31 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
I drive stock 18's with winter tires in the cold, stock 19's with summer tires in the warm... Year 'round daily driver on Chicago area roads. I have received one slight bend in one of the front 19's in the last two years... about 10,000 miles per year. Would not have noticed it had I not had to rebalance a very worn tire. It was not detectable at speeds well into the triple digits. Go figure.

The SP3 car bent one inner barrel (Fikse 3-piece forged centers/spun inner/outer) in 10+ seasons of fairly violent activity. Again, only truly detectable when observed spinning on a machine. Replaced and moved on. Go figure again.

Careful as you may be, you just can't predict when you might hit a surface imperfection just the right way to bend a rim. Mine where easily and inexpensively fixed. I'd say drive the wheel/tire combo that suits you best and live with the chances of occasional misfortune. Having the ride and handling being to your liking is worth the risk, IMHO. Get that bit right and you get to enjoy it every turn of the wheel.

It should go without saying that quality wheels/tires are important. Porsche spec or better. Good luck.

Dave

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone)
When I was racing I bent wheels on a regular basis. I live in Md and the Ole Wheel Shop became my second home. These guys did a great job and they charged just a fraction of the price of a new wheel.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:56 AM
Paul B
AutoX

Wow Blacksheep, was that a factory GT4 wheel? Was it a pothole or curb? The Forgelines look great!

I love Chicago Dave, one of the few places though where I can get off the plane and its colder than home! Sometimes in winter I joke that I'm going back to Canada to get warm! LOL.
Overall Chicago has comparatively great roads, especially considering your climate and calcium use. Here the governments try to blame our climate for the universally province wide awful roads, but you guys get as bad as or worse than us.

Paul

Last edited by Paul B; 04-21-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 10:27 PM
beetleything
Racer

Originally Posted by Paul B
Whole different meaning here on the east coast
Paul
Was going to say something about needing a rim job but thought better of it.......

Quick Reply: Have you bent a rim?