Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987 Cayman R suspension lowering options

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 06:16 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 987 Cayman R suspension lowering options

My 987 R was lowered on H&R springs around the stock dampers. The lowered ride height is good, but as are all H&R's, the ride is very unforgiving and crashy over bumps.

I understand that Porsche somehow made the Cayman R suspension mounting points such that many aftermarket options for the regular (non R) 987 Cayman cannot work on the R. Of course, the R does not have PASM.

Anyone out there know what other, more compliant lowering spring options are out there for the R? Or is going coilovers the only real alternative? Would love to use springs that are progressive in their spring rate. I don't really want to go the full monoball/coilover route as this is not an all out track car.

Any advice would be helpful - thanks
Old 03-22-2018, 08:53 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
My 987 R was lowered on H&R springs around the stock dampers. The lowered ride height is good, but as are all H&R's, the ride is very unforgiving and crashy over bumps.

I understand that Porsche somehow made the Cayman R suspension mounting points such that many aftermarket options for the regular (non R) 987 Cayman cannot work on the R. Of course, the R does not have PASM.

Anyone out there know what other, more compliant lowering spring options are out there for the R? Or is going coilovers the only real alternative? Would love to use springs that are progressive in their spring rate. I don't really want to go the full monoball/coilover route as this is not an all out track car.

Any advice would be helpful - thanks
After owning a R, I would put it back to OEM. The R has one of the best Porsche suspension setups ever, especially for street and track combined. Far better than PASM. In stock form it's the perfect blend between firm and compliant. Never cashes over bumps and is the perfect ride height unless you enjoy the sound of the underside scrapping across tarmac. I think Porsche knows how to set up their special cars more so than aftermarket companies.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:12 PM
andy7777
Rennlist Member

Received 205 Likes on 138 Posts

What MidEngineRules said. I like the r suspension so much I put it on my '07 BoxsterS (and kept it on my Cayman R).

Quick Reply: 987 Cayman R suspension lowering options