Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Absolute mystery! Need help with oil change.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 02:37 PM
Mike Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,578 Likes on 985 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
If the oil filter catches all of it, how does the oil you drain end up being so glittery and full of metal flakes? I changed the oil on my Subaru at 1k miles recently (also not called for in the manual), and there were lots of metal flakes and fragments in the oil pan when I drained. If the filter caught all of that, wouldn't it be in the filter rather than the oil pan? The oil is not stagnant, so you would think it would all eventually make its way through the pump and filter.
Im guessing a lot of the glitter is so fine, it makes it’s way past the filter. For items that small, it probably doesn’t have much impact on the engine’s health or longevity.

Regardless of what the manual says, I always prematurely change any engines oil within 500 miles of it being new or rebuilt. You just never know what foreign fluids or debris are residual from the build process.

And like others have said, Porsche is only on the hook for mileage under 100,000.
Old 03-22-2018, 04:29 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

I would believe it if this were an elaborate trolling attempt.

You had me at "earplugs on the freeway". Lol.
Old 03-22-2018, 11:02 PM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Manifold, nope it isn't trolling. I have bad hearing and am trying to preserve what I have.

Anyway, all seems good now.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:36 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Originally Posted by abstruse1
Manifold, nope it isn't trolling. I have bad hearing and am trying to preserve what I have.

Anyway, all seems good now.
That's great to hear. Definitely no intention to offend; you just have to look at it from the optics of a complete outsider. It's actually pretty damn funny now knowing all things have righted themselves.

REALLY glad everything seems good to go, and I hope your hearing at least stays static.

You know you are also setting yourself up for digs on the 718 because of how everybody says it sounds so "bad" (I wholeheartedly disagree btw, and you should absolutely take the earplugs out every chance you get when you're not on the freeway).

Also this:

Old 03-23-2018, 06:54 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Eh, I'm in the change early camp too. Oil is cheap. Porsche engines are not. If done correctly (!), the only thing you're out is an oil filter and cheap oil. May not be absolutely necessary, but worth the small expense.
A good slogan for oil companies. It certainly can't do any harm, but on second thought based on this thread, maybe that's not the case.
This subject has been beaten to death on this forum over the years, and it's pointless to rehash the arguments.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:39 PM
abstruse1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as I have enjoyed everyone's comments, and appreciated their input, I'm ready to pronounce this thread dead.

Quick Reply: Absolute mystery! Need help with oil change.